Depreciation value of boats with Evinrude engines - non Ficht

Aside of entirely discounting an Evinrude engine, if you were looking at used boats with Evinrudes, how much less would the value of the boat be with an Evinrude versus a Merc or Yamaha? What percentage difference would be enough to go ahead and pull the trigger?

I love mine and would not hesitate to buy one today. Make sure it still has some warranty left and go for it. I can't answer if or how much less its worth.
    2018 Ranger Z518C 200hp Rude.
    12 inch HDS Carbon
    9 inch HDS Carbon

2022 Ram 2500 6.7l Cummins

3. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Cgs1967! View Post
    I love mine and would not hesitate to buy one today. Make sure it still has some warranty left and go for it. I can't answer if or how much less its worth.
    Thanks. I’d be looking more in the 2000-2005 model years.

4. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by mheichelbech View Post
    Thanks. I’d be looking more in the 2000-2005 model years.
    In the years you are look into, all the direct injection had their growing pains, which is the reason many listings have new powerheads.
    I have a 2003 Merc 225 EFI, which was a decision made after looking into the HPDI and Opti early issues.
    BTW, I have owned OX66 EFI Yammie and proved to be very reliable.

My best to you

5. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by digthemup View Post
    In the years you are look into, all the direct injection had their growing pains, which is the reason many listings have new powerheads.
    I have a 2003 Merc 225 EFI, which was a decision made after looking into the HPDI and Opti early issues.
    BTW, I have owned OX66 EFI Yammie and proved to be very reliable.

My best to you
    Would you think that most of those engines that had the direct injection issues would have had any issues already have happened and been fixed or are they just the kind of problems that occur throughout the life of the engine regardless?

6. Airborne/Infantry bassnman81's Avatar
    Think resale if you pull the trigger. I think that's where the hit is going to take place. They are going to have parts for ten years, (supposedly), after that I think they will be hard to sell.

Lake Norman, N.C./New Britain,CT.
    2000 R-81 Ranger, 2015 175 Pro-XS
    Disabled American Veterans, Life Member
    Vietnam Veterans of America, Life Member
    An Khe Vietnam, 66-67

7. Dogfish_Jones
    If there will be a shop around that could/would work on them and Evinrude will still provide parts it should not lower the value. On the flip side, if you don’t and they won’t, I would stay clear of owning one.

8. Member
    I bought a new boat last year with a G2. The dealer was one of the biggest Evinrude dealers in the state, and they have A LOT of pontoon customers locally, so I can't imagine they will stop servicing them. However, I have heard that some of the smaller dealers or tecs will be dropping service which is going to hurt resale for sure. I love my G2, but if I had to chance to exchange it for a Mercury or Yamaha I would, because I see resale being an issue 15 years down the road when I try to sell.

9. Member
    It would have to be a 50% reduction in motor price for me to consider it, maybe more.

10. Member
    I think it is to early to tell. I will say that todays engines are more complicated. They require some high priced equipment to analyze problems and. The knowledge to to read it. I think the dealer network or should i say lack of it is a big contributing factor in the downfall. In the short term the investment and training has been made. It is 3-5 or more years down the line as the mechanics retire or move on to other brands that you will feel the hurt

There is a 31 year old Evinrude XP 150 on my jack plate....
    She only has a couple of vices,
    She has a Drinking problem, and I never drive past a gas station.
    She also Smokes...

1998 Stratos 285 Pro
    1989 Evinrude XP 150(E150STLCEM)(08199802)
    2004 Ford Explorer NBX V8
    1998 Jeep XJ 4.0L V6
    House Cat named Patches
    Remington 700, Old Cooey 12 gauge, A lot of Fishing Rods
    Some tools, garden hose with outboard attachment, 3 crow decoys, 8 Track Tape player,
    A Billy Bass, and clothing from the 80's.