Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Mega 360 range rings ...distance seems off

Has anyone noticed that the range rings on their mega 360 appear to be pretty far off. If my range is set at 55 ft that means each range ring is 13.75 ft wide starting from the center, then 27.5 ft for the next ring and so forth. If I am looking at a stump in clear water and can see that it is 5 feet in front of my trolling motor, the 360 range rings say its about 15 feet away. Stuff thats supposed to be 40+ ft away is more like 20 ft.
    Is there any way to adjust the accuracy of these discrepancies?
    Last edited by jrkb8; 06-21-2020 at 06:52 PM. Reason: spelling

2. Member
    By the way, the water depth was less than 10' so the Pythagorean theorem concept isn't going to be much of a factor in this situation.

3. Member
    You have to account for water depth being water column directly below the boat. For example in this pic I am in about 13' of water. So with 15' rings the first ring is really about 2' in front of the boat. The 2nd ring is 17' in front of the boat. This was throwing me off also when I was trying to figure it out.S00018.PNG

4. Member
    I'll have to pay attention to that the next time out. That could very well be the difference. Thank you for the help.

5. Member
    I run my 360 RR's on my Helix at 60 feet, I also run my side scan on my Solix at 60 feet. They are spot on accurate with objects in the water as it relates to distance.
    17 Ranger Z520c Black Out Edition
    Yamaha 250 SHO

6. Member
    I use 90 ft because that lets me see everything out to about as far as I can cast. I can zoom in if I want to see more detail. Plus I am usually sitting in 15-20ft deep, so most of the first ring is not used. That gives me about 65-70ft of actual coverage with the 360.

7. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by 201pro View Post
    I use 90 ft because that lets me see everything out to about as far as I can cast. I can zoom in if I want to see more detail. Plus I am usually sitting in 15-20ft deep, so most of the first ring is not used. That gives me about 65-70ft of actual coverage with the 360.
    I run m360 at 80 and Solix at 100 -125 with no issues seeing targets and fish. I've never understood why people run such short ranges. I want to see a target coming so as not to spook fish.

8. Member
    You can take the water column out of the equation so when you look at the screen the range rings are accurate.

9. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by jrkb8 View Post
    Has anyone noticed that the range rings on their mega 360 appear to be pretty far off. If my range is set at 55 ft that means each range ring is 13.75 ft wide starting from the center, then 27.5 ft for the next ring and so forth. If I am looking at a stump in clear water and can see that it is 5 feet in front of my trolling motor, the 360 range rings say its about 15 feet away. Stuff thats supposed to be 40+ ft away is more like 20 ft.
    Is there any way to adjust the accuracy of these discrepancies?
    Im with you, we just had this discussion this morning. Mine is usually set at 50-60’ and objects seem to be more like half of what the rings indicate.

10. Member
    Well, I had the boat out again today, and the range rings aren't even close. As Lauzon4 stated above, the objects on my screen are about half as far as the range rings state, and that is with the water column taken into consideration. Any ideas?

11. Member
    You also have to take into consideration that the mega360 is on the trolling motor if you're in a 22ft boat the back of the boat will be actually physically past your 20ft ring for example. Obviously if you're fishing off the front it should be accurate as far as I know.

12. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Claytankozmo View Post
    You also have to take into consideration that the mega360 is on the trolling motor if you're in a 22ft boat the back of the boat will be actually physically past your 20ft ring for example. Obviously if you're fishing off the front it should be accurate as far as I know.
    All my observations are based on what is in front of me, or directly to the sides at 6 or 9 o'clock.

Go find a shallow water object in about 2 foot. Take a screen shot and measure the distance from the 360 to it. Use a cast as a measuring device if you need to. The 2 foot deep object will eliminate the angles involved.
    2017 Ranger Z520c "Blackout Edition"
    2017 Mercury Optimax ProXS 250
    HB Solix 12 G3 MSI+, Solix 12 G2 MSI+, Solix G2 MDI+, Solix 12 2d/gps, Ultrex Mega360, Mega Live
    NRA Life Member
    -Be sober, be vigilant; because your adversary the devil, as a roaring lion, walketh about, seeking whom he may devour-

14. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Capw View Post
    Go find a shallow water object in about 2 foot. Take a screen shot and measure the distance from the 360 to it. Use a cast as a measuring device if you need to. The 2 foot deep object will eliminate the angles involved.
    I've already done that and covered all possible reasons for a discrepancy. In two ft of water my mega 360 pod can be a foot from the stump and it shows at 12 ft on the graph. 12 ft from riprap Bank shows to be 30ft. Something isn't jiving somewhere.

Quote Originally Posted by jrkb8 View Post
    I've already done that and covered all possible reasons for a discrepancy. In two ft of water my mega 360 pod can be a foot from the stump and it shows at 12 ft on the graph. 12 ft from riprap Bank shows to be 30ft. Something isn't jiving somewhere.
    Can you get a screenshot of that and post it?
    2017 Ranger Z520c "Blackout Edition"
    2017 Mercury Optimax ProXS 250
    HB Solix 12 G3 MSI+, Solix 12 G2 MSI+, Solix G2 MDI+, Solix 12 2d/gps, Ultrex Mega360, Mega Live
    NRA Life Member
    -Be sober, be vigilant; because your adversary the devil, as a roaring lion, walketh about, seeking whom he may devour-

Turn the range rigs off and go fishing.
    ‘22 Ranger Z520R - Mercury 250 Pro XS
    Humminbird/Minn Kota One Boat Network

17. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Capw View Post
    Can you get a screenshot of that and post it?
    I'll try and get another screen shot and photo with measurements to show.

18. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Sirius Rich View Post
    Turn the range rigs off and go fishing.
    I could definitely turn the range rings off and go fishing, but I spent lots of money to identify offshore structure and to be able to cast to it using the technology designed to do so.
    -Steve

19. Member
    **UPDATE**
    All of my graphs and mega 360 had been running current software. I then checked my Ipilot link software, which was not up to date. After updating the Ipilot link, the range rings appear to be spot on.
    -Steve

20. Member
    How can Link affect Range Rings?
    Wes
    Helix 10 MSI+,MDI+,Ultrex IPilot
    2023 Phoenix 818
    Never assume there's a tomorrow

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast