Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Do it all baitcasting reel

Is there such a thing as a do it all baitcasting reel for the weekend fisherman. I have a buddy that wants me to do more bass fishing with him and want to get a nice baitcaster. When I used to bass fish thats all i used to use was baitcasters and for catfishing I still use them. Im looking at the Diawa Tatula
    TAEL100XS high speed retreive. Im open to any suggestions and would also consider used reel if condition is nice and still have the box. Wanting to stay close to the $200 range as I will not be using it eveyday. Thanks for your time and input.

Kevin

Tatula TTU100HS 7:1 would be a excellent choice , the 8:1 will be lacking on the torque.

3. Member
    Good point. Been reading some other post that say the SV is a very good reel also. Not sure what the difference is but claims they minimize backlash with SV model.

4. Winter can end now..... BoatBuggy's Avatar
    Tatula SV TW HS. Unless you are loading it up with 65# braid, you'll have plenty of line and the SV spool will let you cast smaller/lighter lures than you might otherwise use. It's pretty hard to backlash this reel. The HS (7..3:1)is a good gear ratio for pretty much everything except deep cranking and big spinnerbaits where a 6.3:1 or lower gear ratio (H or P in Daiwaspeak) might be better.
    2013 Ranger Z520c, 2013 Yamaha 250 SHO
    2018 Ranger RT198p, 2013 Mercury 150 Optimax

5. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by fatkid21 View Post
    Good point. Been reading some other post that say the SV is a very good reel also. Not sure what the difference is but claims they minimize backlash with SV model.
    SV refers to the spool. Different braking profile than a non-SV Daiwa. Allows use of lighter baits and makes skipping much easier. I feel I get good distance with my Tat SV, but if I was going for maximum distance I would choose another reel. The extra control of the SV spool isn't free. I prefer the looks of the finish on the Tat SV to the standard reel (mine is not the Tatula CT, but an original).

I am a Daiwa fan, but own many other brands. The Lew's Tournament Pro LFS gets great reviews. Seriously considering one. A $200 reel that Sportsman's Outfitters is selling for $140. Another reel I am very interested in is this one. http://tackletour.com/reviewquantumtours3cast.html The Smoke S3 also gets excellent reviews. http://tackletour.com/reviewquantumsmokes3cast.html

I fish from shore so distance is important to me. The braking profiles on the reels in the above paragraph are said to be very good.

6. Member
    Thanks everyone for all the feedback. I've got more reels to research now. A local guy that sells reels from his house has the tatula SV TW 103 in all gear ratios for $150. Seems to be a good price. He's got the smoke reels also but not sure on price yet.

7. Member
    Thanks everyone for all the feedback. I've got more reels to research now. A local guy that sells reels from his house has the tatula SV TW 103 in all gear ratios for $150. Seems to be a good price. He's got the smoke reels also but not sure on price yet.
    Grab a Tat from him. Best all rounder you will find for 150 bucks.

8. Member
    What about a do it all rod in the 100 to 150 range?

9. Member
    What about a do it all rod in the 100 to 150 range?
    Daiwa Tatula 7'3" MH. The 60th anniversary edition is on sale at tackle trap. Outstanding rod for the money.

10. Member
    For an occasional use, I would go with a DC reel like the Shimano SLX DC. Also, a 7:1 ratio would be better all around. You could pair it with a SLX rod around 7 feet.

11. Member
    I was looking at the tatula rods today. I seen one that said multi purpose and thought to myself that's what I need.

I'd rather have a 6.3:1 reel if I was just buying one for everything. Easier to speed up than it is to reel slower. I mostly use tatula's from 6.3 up to 8.1 depending on what I'm using it for.
    "It's even, but it ain't settled. Let's settle it." Fast Eddie
    I still can't believe they actually won...Cubs Fans Everywhere

13. Member
    Tatula SV is really tough to beat for a do it all reel. I was worried about line capacity before I used one, but it’s not an issue. Now I’ve got a bunch of them in the boat.

$150 rod? ALX IKOS would be my choice

14. Member
    I would find a used sv103.

I was looking at the tatula rods today. I seen one that said multi purpose and thought to myself that's what I need.
    This Tatula 7'3" Medium Heavy 60th Anniversary rod on sale for $125 shipped at The Tackle Trap is a great deal on a very versatile, very nice rod...

As far as a reel goes, I would definitely go with a new 2020 Tatula SV TW 103. It pairs up very nicely with the Tatula rod of course. TT always has good deals for BBC guys. Feel free to shoot me a PM for a combo price, or call the shop!

16. Member
    I want to thank everyone who responded to my post. I ended up buying an abu mgx2 reel and the tatula svhs 103 also plus the 60th anniversary rod. I like all 3 of those items I bought but I think I want to also try a shamino dc reel of some sort. Both reels I bought was 8.1to 1 ratio or close to that so want to get the next one a little slower probably. I'm just getting back into bass fishing so not sure what I truly need. What is everyone recommend in the DC lineup? Is the stx dc worth a try or need to get higher up model? Thanks again for all future help. Also interested in a used reel if it's in good shape and comes with the box.

17. Member
    SLX DC. STX (no DC) is an Abu reel. Can't help with a DC recommendation. I only have the older Excense DC. I would say you got a very good start on your bass gear. I would opt for a slower ratio reel next. Maybe a MF rod since you have a MHF. Or even a MR Tatula or Tatula Elite. Although not designated as crankbait rods, they would work fine. I used a MF for a long time for crankbaits before opting for a dedicated crankbait rod.

I have purchased quite a few used reels (over 50). Only one needed work done on it before I could use it. Had it tuned and upgraded at the same time. Now it is a favorite of mine. Many of those used reels came from the bbc Reels 4 Sale section.

Also consider a Medium or ML spinning rod if you want to try finesse fishing. Daiwa makes some nice low cost spinning reels. Really like my BG. Not the lightest, but feels like a little tank. A brother-in-law is still using the Revros I got him several years ago as a birthday present. He lives in Florida and spends a fair amount of time bass fishing.

Problem today is we have so many good choices that selecting just one is tough. Good luck with your bass fishing and adding to your bass gear arsenal.

18. Member
    I would say a BB-1 at 7.1:1. I havent used the tatulas. Im sure they are nice. Ive just always favored lews

19. Member
    I think my next reel will have a slower gear ratio and use it for crank baits. So far I'm really liking the tatula. I like it more than the abu mgx2 forsure. Got to catch several fish on both.

I use 2 Zillion TW 6.3 about 80% of the time

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast