USA New Classic XL Should I get the extended warranty?

Tuesday morning I'm picking up my new 2020 Tracker XL with the 50hp option.

There simply aren't many good outboard mechanics near me any more and I am not nearly mechanical enough to even service an outboard motor. I'll be stuck with Bass Pro where I'm buying the boat and their labor rate is $110 per hour.

I know I don't have to purchase the extended warranty on the motor right away but I'd just as soon get that out of the way now.

The two extended warranty plans Mercury Marine offers are the Gold and Platinum plans.

Can anyone please provide some insight as to whether or not the Mercury Marine extended warranties are worth it and if so which one to buy?

https://www.mercurymarine.com/en/us/...ct-protection/

2. Member
    Go to the Mercury board and contact Don Weed at European Marine. He can explain the differences in coverage and you can get a better price from him.

3. #FRB
    As much as it costs to work on an outboard these days the platinum warranty is worth it for peace of mind alone. Being my luck something expensive will happen to my motor at the 7 year and one day mark but that would be after 7 years of worry free use. The Platinum warranty is the only one that covers everything including electrical.
    2023 Xpress H18 with 115 SHO and Powertech NRS4 21p
    8" Bob's Action Jack
    Garmin Echomap 12, 10, 9, and LVS34 networked with Netgear Switch
    Ultrex
    Trick Steps and Ramp N Clamp
    Pulled by a 2016 single cab HEMI Ram

Treat others like you want to be treated when on the water EVEN WHEN IN A TOURNAMENT! No fish is worth having a confrontation because you cut someone off or came in on top of someone.

4. Member
    Thanks. I ran across a couple of old threads talking about their extended warranties and it appears that if you get the Platinum Extended Warranty and the Progressive Propulsion PlusŪ mechanical breakdown coverageProgressive will pay to repair or replace the lower unit of an outboard motor, or upper & lower units of an inboard/outboard motor if you have a mechanical breakdown. Propulsion Plus is an optional coverage, starting at just $38/year.

Seems like the best of both worlds since apparently the Mercury warranties don't cover seals which can fail and cause a foot failure.

http://www.bbcboards.net/showthread.php?t=826922 See this thread which lead me to the one below
    http://www.bbcboards.net/showthread.php?t=826407 See this lengthy thread covering the extended warranties.

5. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    I sell a lot of Platinum Product Protection Plans (and have bought one for every new engine I've owned), because they're simply the best coverage I've found, backed by Mercury and their network of dealers.

That being said- note the words "Product Protection Plan". Gold or Platinum are NOT WARRANTY, they are Service Contracts that offer extended protection for specifically listed engine components against Defects in Materials or Workmanship.

Platinum doesn't cover everything (examples would be seals, gaskets, rubber or plastic items)- but it does cover the lion's share of the fuel and electrical systems, in addition to the major-mechanical components.

If interested, drop me an email with the Engine Serial Number and I'll be glad to provide you with a quote (including BBC Member Special Pricing).

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

6. Member
    Congrats on your new boat!
    Dang, $110 per hour?
    I see you put Talquin in your location. Extended warranty a good idea!

Quote Originally Posted by LDHunter View Post
    Tuesday morning I'm picking up my new 2020 Tracker XL with the 50hp option.

There simply aren't many good outboard mechanics near me any more and I am not nearly mechanical enough to even service an outboard motor. I'll be stuck with Bass Pro where I'm buying the boat and their labor rate is $110 per hour.

I know I don't have to purchase the extended warranty on the motor right away but I'd just as soon get that out of the way now.

The two extended warranty plans Mercury Marine offers are the Gold and Platinum plans.

Can anyone please provide some insight as to whether or not the Mercury Marine extended warranties are worth it and if so which one to buy?

https://www.mercurymarine.com/en/us/...ct-protection/

7. Member
    Yep... I live right by Lake Talquin and although I haven't fished Talquin in several years, before that I fished it a couple of mornings a week for several years and I'm fully aware of the stumps, although (knocking on wood) (pun intended), I haven't hit one yet. :)

I highly recommend the Progressive Propulsion Plus insurance. You're covered with a $150 deductible for damage to or destroying of the foot which isn't covered by any warranty or protection plan. The guy that gave me the new boat orientation at Bass Pro highly recommends the Propulsion Plus as well. He says that it covers foot damage well and a new foot for my 50HP Merc would be a whopping $2K! YIPES!!!

By the way I'm pretty sure I only pay $38 per year for the Propulsion Plus but I also am pretty sure that you can't get that without a Progressive policy on your boat.