Thread: Chick River

Chick River

I'll be returning home (VA Beach) soon and will have a couple weeks to fish. How well is the Chick fishing this summer? I'm not looking for specifics, just a general report.
    Thanks,
    BG

2. Member
    Chick is fishing pretty good so far and have been either in the pads or in deeper wood.
    2018 Bass Cat Lynx w/Suzuki 250SS.

Quote Originally Posted by booter View Post
    Chick is fishing pretty good so far and have been either in the pads or in deeper wood.
    Thanks for the info, Booter

4. Procraft/Astro Boats Moderator
    Pads have been producing for me until the pleasure boaters start picking up.. once the wakes start getting bad they seem to really shut down in there, does anyone else experience this? The river has been rough riding this year with all the pleasure boaters.
    John Woodward

2010 Nitro Z8

5. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by johnw91 View Post
    Pads have been producing for me until the pleasure boaters start picking up.. once the wakes start getting bad they seem to really shut down in there, does anyone else experience this? The river has been rough riding this year with all the pleasure boaters.
    Pretty much, but you have to adjust and fish the small ledges outside of the pad lines or go to the far back of the creeks where there are no pleasure boaters.
    2018 Bass Cat Lynx w/Suzuki 250SS.

Spent a couple days on the Chick and here’s what I found:
    1. The frog played well during overcast conditions, even if the clouds only rolled in for a short period of time. 5 good bites on the frog and landed 3. One of the three I boated was a five pound class fish, the other two were 3-4 pounders. Of course, the blowups with no hookups were monsters!��
    2. The swim jig with swim bait trailer was getting bites but no hookups. I was able to follow up the bites with a slider head paddle tail worm and caught quite a few in the 1-2 pound range.
    3. Pads with milfoil were key to all my quality fish.

Quote Originally Posted by bassgunner View Post
    Spent a couple days on the Chick and here’s what I found:
    1. The frog played well during overcast conditions, even if the clouds only rolled in for a short period of time. 5 good bites on the frog and landed 3. One of the three I boated was a five pound class fish, the other two were 3-4 pounders. Of course, the blowups with no hookups were monsters!��
    2. The swim jig with swim bait trailer was getting bites but no hookups. I was able to follow up the bites with a slider head paddle tail worm and caught quite a few in the 1-2 pound range.
    3. Pads with milfoil were key to all my quality fish.
    Nice report
    2022 Skeeter ZXR20
    Yamaha 250 SHO

8. Member
    John91. Your inbox is full.