Thread: 225HO Ficht

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Question 225HO Ficht

I'd like some honest advice on what to do. If the comments are going to bashing the Ficht then please move on. I have two 225HO's one is an 02 the other an 03. The 03 ran great when I first got it. Thinking possible damage in shipping(long story). First tourney it ran great,right out of the gate. Was getting 120-125 compression across the board.Ran like a scalded dog. Some time later it started acting up and would not get over 3k rpm. Took it on and turns out had a blow piston. Top of the piston had a hole in it and the cyl which was sleeved by previous owner had to gaps at the bottom. Gaps as in pieces broken off.

I picked up an 02 for a steal. Ran great for a while but just not as strong as the 03. Compression was 95-105 across the board. It's been bogging down at take but eventually takes off. Had it the shop once before for that issue and they told me one of my injectors had to be reprogrammed. Sometime later to present started doing it again. I just got back 6 injectors from the 03 that I sent off to have cleaned and serviced. The water separator filters are fairly new. I'm going to swap injectors and also swap EMM's. Thinking about also swapping TPS. Thinking its the TPS due to a buddy with an Etec had same issues and had a new TPS put on and was night and day diff.

Other thing I'm considering is if it's worth having the 03 with the blown piston and cyl re-sleeved? I can do most of the work just don't have the tools to re-sleeve it. All the other cyl are good. Also am I simplifying this too much? Is there more than just re-sleeving one cyl. If I had a shop do it what kind of cost am I looking at? Thanks!
    Eddie
    2017 Phoenix 920 Pro XP Mercury 250 Pro XS

The 2001 through 2005 were good engines and if you have two might as well have the blown one re-sleeved as a back up.
    If you keep having injector issues you may want to look at replacing the capacitor, it may be the cause. As long as you keep the fuel injectors and EMM together you can swap them between engines just don't mix and match without having the injector files updated.

When you rebuild the blown one clean the pistons and closely inspect all the pistons on the dome for cracks.
    RUSTY63 in a Shiny Green Jacket.......

Yea I plan to keep them all together. I have the EVdiag software if needed.
    Eddie

No FICHT bashing on my part. I had one with right at 1000 hours on it. I am just curious as to why the OP has the title of his post 225 HO FICHT. To the best of my knowledge there never was a 225 HO FICHT...225 HO in a DI, G1 and G2 but never in a FICHT...whats the model number of the two motors in question? They sound like the early versions of BRP DI motors.

5. SC Club Moderator ChampioNman's Avatar
    The FHL model number is the HO version.

They are DI motors
    Eddie

Guess more of the question what would an average cost be just to have the sleeve done and piston installed? My only true issue is the tools and equipment to do the work.
    Eddie

8. Sprint Boats Moderator Bassmeister's Avatar
    Ran a 03 225 HO for 12 years....got a 03 250 running now for the last 3 years....gunna bench the 225 and take a look at it and prepare it if I need a replace the 250....love these engines.

Thanks for the information. What I like most about this forum is I always seem to learn something.

10. SC Club Moderator ChampioNman's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by KutTail71 View Post
    Guess more of the question what would an average cost be just to have the sleeve done and piston installed? My only true issue is the tools and equipment to do the work.
    Pull the head and send it to Chris Carson and have them do the rebuild for you. He's a sponsor here.

Quote Originally Posted by ChampioNman View Post
    Pull the head and send it to Chris Carson and have them do the rebuild for you. He's a sponsor here.
    I sent them an email and maybe I need to explain it better but he quoted me $4500 with a rebuilt powerhead with mine as a core. I spent less than that on the motor itself. I'm for sure getting reeds and the intake stuffers from him.
    Eddie

12. Member
    if you are going to spend the cash i would send off your pistons and have them top pinned

Quote Originally Posted by bassgator2 View Post
    if you are going to spend the cash i would send off your pistons and have them top pinned
    What is the advantage?
    Eddie

14. SC Club Moderator ChampioNman's Avatar
    You wont lose the locator pins

15. SC Club Moderator ChampioNman's Avatar
    For your sleeve look at Promarine-USA.com block goes into the oven, heats up then you can pull the sleeve out and insert the new one. Best to put the sleeve in the freezer so it is contracted. Get your pistons (if you still can) and bring it/them to a machine shop so the can do the actual to size bore job. Wash block thoroughly to get the machining residue fully removed.

Yea I came across their site. I may have found a place locally to do the work. I haven't pulled everything apart yet. Been doing research before I go any further.
    Eddie

What's the best way or carriers to ship a powerhead?
    Eddie

Bolt it down to a reinforced wooden pallet but cut the pallet down to a bit larger than the powerhead.

Thats how the factory ships them.
    RUSTY63 in a Shiny Green Jacket.......

19. SC Club Moderator ChampioNman's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by KutTail71 View Post
    What's the best way or carriers to ship a powerhead?
    You have to ship it to the guy locally?

Quote Originally Posted by ChampioNman View Post
    You have to ship it to the guy locally?
    Well he did not pan out. Looking out of town and out of state.
    Eddie

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast