'96 125 ELPTO key on chirp not workimg

Howdy all, hope everyone is having a great fathers day. Got a little alarm problem just developed. Been getting my '96 R70 ready to go fishing. Been in storage at my place in Texas for 5 years while I was working in Charleston. Got motor running good but had the low oil warning. Replaced oil tank last Monday and everything was fine. This morning i go out and turned key on but didn't get the initial key on chirp. Checked kill switch n remote because I was messing with wires under the dash yesterday and thought maybe I pulled it loose.
    Not sure where to look for this alarm to see if it has been disconnected.
    Motor serial is 0G404589.
    Any suggestions on things to check would be greatly appreciated
    Thanks

If it is an in-line 4 cyl, they do not have a beep at key on.

USN Retired
    2020 Basscat Caracal
    2020 Mercury 225 ProXS 4s

3. Member
    Thanks for the response but this one does, always has. Was working a few days ago.
    '96 R70
    '17 Silverado Redline Edition

4. Member
    The beep at key on is to tell the operator that the warning system wiring circuit is intact. Float switch (in oil tank), warning module and overheat sensor all have tan wires tied together and all components should be grounded. The module should also have a purple ignition wire (key on). You can test the horn by grounding the overheat sensor wire with the key on. It should sound the horn. As long as the oil tank is full (gravity fed to the oil pump), and the water pump impeller is good, you should be able to run the motor but I'd want to fix it asap. Did you install a new impeller? 5 yrs is a long time for one to just sit.

5. Member
    thanks Silvertalon. impeller is definitely the next project. checked with a set of muffs and still pumping water but going to change it to be safe.
    Would you mind directing me to the location of the OH sensor. Also do you know where is the warning horn located?
    Looks like I'm going to have to do most of this myself. its a 2 month minimum wait to get in to a good mechanic right now.
    Does the service manual you can buy on line from European give directions on repairs such as this. Saw on on their parts page for a good price it just doesn't say what of info is in it.

'96 R70

6. Member
    OH Sensor is toward the top pf the cylinder block cover - rear of engine. Tan or Tan/Blue wire. You can also trace it to the lower Starboard side where it will junction with the oil sensor and module wires and ground from it with the key on. Most warning horns are under the dash in a piece of netting around it. Should be a 3 wire horn- purple/black/tan. Purple is key on ign power, blk is ground, tan is warning wire from engine. If everything looks good on engine, test the wires running into the horn for ign power and ground. Some warning horns are located in the side mount control box. If the control is a panel mount, horn is under the dash.

7. Loser
    98 125hp. Never had a chirp, no alarm module. Only 1 alarm tone for overheat or oil level.
    "There is nothing more free, than one who has nothing to lose"

8. Member
    test horn as suggested above
    .................................................. ...the scariest thing in life is the unknown ...................................

9. Member
    Thanks for the help guys. Will test this today.
    Sorry for the late response. Been in Virginia all week working.
    '96 R70

10. Member
    I have a 90hp 2000 model elpto. Beep on start never worked so I assume that it does not have that feature. I periodically ground the OH sensor wire to make sure the beeper beeps.

11. Member
    Finally got around to checking this yesterday. Horn worked when i tested OH sensor. So I went to look at the key switch. I turned the switch from off to run about 15 times and key on beep started working. Works every time I turn key now. Must have been some corrosion on the contact in the switch. If it happens again will replace switch.
    Thanks for everyone's help on this!
    '96 R70

12. Member
    I suspect that your ign switch must either incorporate or drive a module that puts a temporary ground on the line to the sensor thus making a temporary beep. In electronics lingo that is called a "single shot". It would be easy to build one, but I don't think its worth it if you don't have that module. Just periodically ground one of those lines temperature or low oil and make sure that you get a beep. First time I heard the beep it was a series of beeps. I was in some 3 foot swells and the oil in the tank was low so it beeped as the oil sloshed around along with everything else.

13. Member
    likely module bad , some later ones had no beep at key on
    .................................................. ...the scariest thing in life is the unknown ...................................