Thread: Transom Saver

Transom Saver

Do any of you use a Motor Mate or Motor Toter or anything of the like? I hear it's not good idea to use them on aluminum boats for fear of cracking the transom. Let me hear from y'all. Thanks

2. Member
    I use a Motormate on my Ranger, no fear there.

I use an Attwood transom saver on my 11' TXW 175/60hp
    Mike

2019 Ranger 520L w/ 250HO ETEC G2
    2011 Tracker 175TXW w/ 75HO ETEC

3. Member
    I use a motormate on my Tracker 190. Much more stable then the crap that it comes with.

I ran a motormate for 6 years on my old tracker and not a single issue or sign of cracking. That was with an optimax and a 6” jack plate.
    Roy
    2020 Triton 18 Trx
    Mercury 200 Pro XS V8
    Bravo FS 24P Prop
    Atlas 6” jp
    Dual Humminbird Helix 10 MEGA SI
    Minnkota Ultrex.

5. Member
    The motormate does nothing to Take the load of a motor torque off the transom. It just takes the shock off the tilt cylinders. I will not tow a boat with a outboard without a transom savor that goes to the lower part of the trailer. You might get by without it, by why.

6. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by The gman View Post
    The motormate does nothing to Take the load of a motor torque off the transom. It just takes the shock off the tilt cylinders. I will not tow a boat with a outboard without a transom savor that goes to the lower part of the trailer. You might get by without it, by why.
    ^^^This, IMO^^^ The repeated shock to the transom of an unsupported motor from being towed over hundreds of miles of roadways compared to the comparatively few miles on the water is a big factor. Plus I figure that the boat and motor manufacturers know a heck of a lot more than I do and if they recommend a transom saver, that's what I'll use. My motor doesn't turn while towing. My previous one did but I solved that by lashing the steering wheel.

Others can do what they want obviously. It's their boat and I won't be buying it.
    2018 Tracker Pro Team 190 TX
    115 Mercury Pro XS 4S

7. Member
    The trailer on my PT190 came from the factory with a transom saver installed so it seems the factory deems it is needed.

The transom supports the weight of the engine regardless. All the stick does is beat up your lower unit. You guys run what you want but i wont ever run the old style again. The reason they come with the stick style from the factory is because its cheap especially the tracker one we didnt keep ours too long. The stick to trailer supports zero weight of the engine.
    Roy
    2020 Triton 18 Trx
    Mercury 200 Pro XS V8
    Bravo FS 24P Prop
    Atlas 6” jp
    Dual Humminbird Helix 10 MEGA SI
    Minnkota Ultrex.

9. Member
    Same here Roy! Still using mine with no issues. Easy on and off sure makes it convenient for us older folks!
    2007 Bass Tracker 190 TX
    20006 Mercury 90 Optimax
    Smartcraft Mercmonitor
    6" CMC Manual Jack Plate
    21" Trophy Plus Prop
    Minn Kota 80 lb Maxxum
    Humminbird 898c SI and 998c SI at Console
    Humminbird 998c SI and 1199ci HD SI at bow
    Humminbird 360 at bow
    Ethernet Linked with 5 Port Hub

10. Member
    I use the Attwood 10107 Lock N’ Stow which is like a motor mate on my Tracker 185 XT with a Merc 90 on it. Had one on my other Tracker also. no problems at all. I got home one day with my other Tracker and my old stick to the trailer transom saver was dragging behind the boat. Had a suck azz easy loader trailer, back got a little loose and the boat moved and it was all over. Been with the lock n stow since.

11. Member
    I bought a new 2002 PT185 / Merc 90 2 stroke. I used the supplied transom saver bar for years. I have been using the Motormate for the last 3-4 years. Love that thing! After 18 years of use the transom hasn’t suffered from using either product. Just what you like I guess.