vault hub leaking from back

Has anyone had one leak from the back seal? And if so when you replaced it was there any tricks.
    I put a new vault repair kit on with new races and bearings and the deal on the back is leaking like the old one. I have tried it twice with new kits and the same issue of it leaking.
    Any help would be great!

2. Member
    Does your trailer have replaceable spindle caps that the seals ride on? Check that cap and see if there is a groove in it. if so you need to replace the caps. Seal needs to be double lip type.

Watch the video for the bearing buddy seals.

https://www.etrailer.com/Trailer-Bea...y/BB60010.html
    Ed R.

2006 ChampioN 198 225 Optimax

Spindle my be grooved or scratched up were the seal seats. If so you may need to replace the spindle.
    2024 Phoenix 818, Mercury 175 (3B414035) Trick Steps, 3 Garmin 106 SV,s, LVS 34. BoatEFX dual bow mount. Ionic 12V 125AH, 2 12V 100 ah LiTime’s for the TM. Minn Kota 345 PCL charger,

There is usually a SS wear ring on the spindle that can be replaced. Were your bearings bad?

Worn SS wear ring.

New SS wear ring installed.

2006 Triton TR-21 XD, Mercury 225 Pro XS, S/N 1B287870

5. Banned
    Speedi sleeve may be an option too, if the above fail to fix it.

All these guys hit the problem exactly...............

7. Member
    the wear ring seemed fine. Im not sure why both new seals were leaking. I figured I would just replace the stainless wear ring and new rear seal with bearing buddy kit.

The spindle seal in my experience is where they fail anyway.

9. Member
    Figured it out. It was the wrong rear seal. it has to be a 3 lip seal and it was only two.

10. Member
    I've only heard of double lipped rear seals. What is a three lipped seal? Getting ready to order some vault parts and want to get the right ones.
    2013 Phoenix 721 XP
    2013 Mercury 250 Pro XS
    Lowrance HDS Carbon 9 and HDS 9 gen 3
    Twin 10' Talons

11. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Va Phoenix View Post
    I've only heard of double lipped rear seals. What is a three lipped seal? Getting ready to order some vault parts and want to get the right ones.
    For your Phoenix Marine Master Trailer the rear seal you will need UFP 1.68" ID Vault Oil Seal #32123 and the SKU is 5415064. That's at Trailer Parts Superstore. I just completed all four of my wheels. Make sure you use high temp red RTV to seal them, and allow them to dry for at least an hour before pressurizing them. I installed the seals and let them sit over night.

12. Member
    Thanks for the info!
    Quote Originally Posted by Hooked247 View Post
    For your Phoenix Marine Master Trailer the rear seal you will need UFP 1.68" ID Vault Oil Seal #32123 and the SKU is 5415064. That's at Trailer Parts Superstore. I just completed all four of my wheels. Make sure you use high temp red RTV to seal them, and allow them to dry for at least an hour before pressurizing them. I installed the seals and let them sit over night.
    2013 Phoenix 721 XP
    2013 Mercury 250 Pro XS
    Lowrance HDS Carbon 9 and HDS 9 gen 3
    Twin 10' Talons

Just finished up a job on friends 2013 Phoenix Marine Master trailer. There are three places on Vault Hubs for water intrusion and lubricant leakage. The rear seal rides on a replaceable sleeve. This sleeve has an O ring under it, replace the sleeve and O ring. PITA The rear seal is double lipped. Apply a thin film of RTV around seal before install. Do not apply RTV inside hub where seal goes, you can push excess into the bearing cavity. When reinstalling the Vault cap, there is an O ring there also, replace it. When installing the Vault cap, apply thin film or RTV around it also. Again, do not smear RTV inside hub and install cap. You will push RTV into the bearing cavity.

2020 Ranger 521L Tour, 300 Mercury, 112 Minn Kota Ultrex
    3 12" Helix Units, Mega Si, Mega Di, Mega 360, Garmin 8412 W LiveScope mounted on Rite Hite Turret.

Quote Originally Posted by electritek View Post
    Just finished up a job on friends 2013 Phoenix Marine Master trailer. There are three places on Vault Hubs for water intrusion and lubricant leakage. The rear seal rides on a replaceable sleeve. This sleeve has an O ring under it, replace the sleeve and O ring. PITA The rear seal is double lipped. Apply a thin film of RTV around seal before install. Do not apply RTV inside hub where seal goes, you can push excess into the bearing cavity. When reinstalling the Vault cap, there is an O ring there also, replace it. When installing the Vault cap, apply thin film or RTV around it also. Again, do not smear RTV inside hub and install cap. You will push RTV into the bearing cavity.
    2006 Triton TR-21 XD, Mercury 225 Pro XS, S/N 1B287870