Tony C

After compounding still have a slight haze left on topcap

Hi all,

my 2005 has developed a haze on the topcap over the last few years. I compounded it yesterday, doing a four foot section. Used a variable speed buffer, gig it hit but kept it moving. It improved the topcap area, very smooth now and looks a lot better. But, there is still a slight haze if you look at it from certain angles.

my question is should a wet sand to try to get the left over haze out or compound again?

thanks
    Ranger Z21/Yamaha HPDI 250

Yes, wet sand and repeat your steps you previously did with the compound.
    1997 Charger 186 TF
    1997 Yamaha ProV 175

3. Member
    What compound did you use? That helps to know how aggressive a cut. Polishing is required if you used a heavy Machine compound and a bit of pressure. Try 1000 grit first if you water sand - water sanding can quickly get to the flake. Once you cut your flake (if any) you can't fix easily. If the 1000 grit cleans it up quickly buy a very good grade of 1500 and sand again without a lot of pressure. Keep a few drops of Dawn in your water. Without a picture it's hard to see what you've got to work with.

4. Tony C
    Ok thanks

What color is the hazing on....flake and background ?
    BULLET 20 XRD/250 Merc Sport XS
    www.ncboatguy.com

6. Tony C
    Hey crank68, I’m not sure. I wet sanded again, compound, polish, then wax. It appears to have improved. Very hard to see any more if at all. I will say I noticed this starting two years ago after getting boat shrink wrapped for the first time. Had it shrink wrapped again last year as well. Guy uses white shrink wrap, not sure if there is any connection.