Exclamation Add Axiom Opinions or Suggestions

Current networked system is a dash front mounted A128, ram mounted A127, and bow front mounted ES128 in a 21 foot bass boat.
    The dash A128 touchscreen has failed for the second time in four years.
    The first unit was replaced under warranty at two years old.
    Thinking about replacing the now failed, replacement, two year old A128 with a AXIOM 70369.
    To make the best use of existing equipment would I do this?
    In other words not purchase the four in one transducer.

Disconnect the ram mounted A127 from the HS5, Run it’s own map card,
    and only have the P-79 sonar ability.

Upgrade the bow mount ES-128 to Lighthouse 3 and leave cables as they are.

Install the new Axiom 70369 in the A128 dash hole and connect to existing cables with some adapters. Install map card during installation and also connect/use a remote card reader.

Comments appreciated.
    Thanks.

Equipment and cable list inside dash :

SeaTalk blue block: Power, STNG to NEMA 2000, STNG from dash A128.

NEMA 2000: Power, STNG from SeaTalk, Honda speedometer, Honda motor, Honda tachometer.

CP-200: Power, To HS5, From Stern mounted CPT-200.

HS5: Power, From CP-200, Dash A128, Ram A127, Bow ES128.

Dash A128: Power, STNG to SeaTalk, HS5, From Stern mounted CPT-100.

Ram A127: Power, In-Hull P-79, HS5.

Equipment and cable list inside bow:

CP-100: Power, Trolling Motor CPT-100, Bow ES-128.

Bow ES-128: Power, CP-100, HS5.

2. Honda / Raymarine Moderator Hickory Legend's Avatar
    I don’t believe the Axiom will play nice with the A series!

3. Member
    Correct. That is why I would isolate the A127 and upgrade the ES128 to LH3. Have the Axiom and ES128 networked. I am on a learning curve.

4. Member
    Unless changes have been made in the last 9 months with software updates, I would not run an Axiom / eS (with LH3) system. What Raymarine says is compatible and what actually plays nice are two different things.

Correct, the A unit is LH2 only.

5. Member
    Jig34 thank you. Your comment was one of my concerns.
    Raymarine wants $900 to replace the A128 screen W/6 month, $1600 for refurbished A128 W/2 year, or $1800 for new Axiom W/ 3 year.
    To get the best use of my existing equipment I might have to leave the ram mount A127 and the bow ES128 networked.
    Seriously consider what to put in the dash as a stand alone.
    Maybe another brand.

6. Member
    I worked for them for 5 years and (4 years in sales and the last year managing the Pro Staff - just a little background with my comments.

You’re in a tough spot. Is this a bass fishing only or what do you want the system to do? Equipment list looks pretty standard for bass or general fishing.

Also, are you set on 3 units with touch screens?

7. Member
    I'd rather have a functional A128 than an axiom. Only problem is the touchscreen goes haywire after about 2 years on them. The returns on them however, are the best I've ever seen on anything by far.

8. Member
    Jig34
    I met you 3 or so years ago at the Houston boat show. I still have the hand drawn picture you made for me explaining my layout. I had no idea.
    I agree I'm in a tough spot and yes it is a bass boat.
    I am not stuck on a touch screen only.
    I do like having three screens. I also like having all three networked but understand that is no longer possible. Unless I opt for the A128 screen replacement. Screen replacement does not seem like a wise choice given my past experience. I'm just not sure.
    I am just trying to make the best use my existing equipment and I am not made of money.
    I will certainly consider any suggestion you may have.
    Thanks for the responses you have already made.

9. Member
    APS
    I agree with the A128 returns being good. I am hesitant to spend $900 and hope I get two years use.
    I do not have any current experience with the Axiom or any of the competitions MFD's.
    That is the main reason for my post. Not wishing bad luck on anyone but wondering if anyone else has been in my situation.
    I do appreciate your opinion.

10. Member
    Skunked2, I remember talking to you and drawing out a system. I think it was when the Bassmaster Classic was at Conroe.

I agree with APS on the return images. Regardless what anyone says, the A, E and eS units with the CP100/200 modules were the best sonar and DownVision returns. Axiom is great with the all I’m one transducer, but the image isn’t quite where the old ones with boxes was. I really like the new Element, but IMO Raymarine really screwed the Element up by not having Raynet ports for networking. I fought that battle when I was still there, but no one listened. You network 2 element to share waypoints with an sTng backbone, but it’s not as easy as raynet to raynet.

As much as I like the build quality of Raymarine, I would look hard at Huminbird (360) or Garmin (Panoptix) if I was starting from scratch.

11. Honda / Raymarine Moderator Hickory Legend's Avatar
    I would repair the A and fish on. They are great units and from what I have seen have better images than the Axiom.
    They will repair and maintain the A up to 10 years after production.

12. Member
    Hickory,
    By APS comment he gets about two years out of his A128. My experience has been about the same.
    I can pay the flat bench repair charge of $900 W/6 months warranty and hope/pray for two years use.
    I can repeat this process two more times that will take the unit past the 10 year support.
    I will have invested about $3000.00 for six years of use. If hope and prayer is answered.
    Really had not considered this route to take.
    Thanks for your input.
    You have given me an option to really consider.

13. Member
    They wouldn't repair my A128 last year and I was on thier pro staff program. I had the option to upgrade to the axiom or element and since I had already tried the axiom and didn't like it I went with the Element. I used it for 3 months and put it back in the box and it's sitting in my office. I found a used A128 and bought it and happy again. My current setup is helix 12 mega si and A128 at consosle and 2 helix 12's up front with one being for the mega 360. I've run onix, solix's, helix's, and garmins and nothing shows the fish like the A series. They made a huge mistake going with all this latest crap and discontinuing what works.

14. Member
    APS
    Wow!! That's a lot of experience right there.
    Thanks for taking the time to share.
    I will be giving Gary a call at Raymarine repair to have a little more discussion about repairing my unit.

15. Member
    Talked with Gary at Raymarine this morning.
    Requested that he move forward with the flat bench rate to repair my A128.
    Hoping for the best.
    Thank ya'll for responding.
    Be safe, Stay healthy