Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
  1. Electrical/Wiring/Trolling Motors Moderator CatFan's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by billnorman1 View Post
    Once again, you are likely to read voltage with a multimeter anywhere on a wet boat hooked up to an AC unit in the boat wiring. Meters nowadays are very sensitive. You might even use your body as an extension to your meter leads and it would read.
    I think this could be much ado about nothing, there could even be a boat wiring cable running parallel with the wiring carrying 115 volts to the charger self-inducing voltage into the boat wiring.
    The bottom line is, is there any current available with the voltage? If you put a 10 ohm resistor in parallel with your meter leads do you still read any voltage?
    If it’s got enough current to feel, it’s enough to worry about.
    If you have integrity, nothing else matters. If you don't have integrity,
    nothing else matters.​

2. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by CatFan View Post
    Did you disconnect the other charger from the cranking battery?
    Yes, I tried this as well. I've given up on this for now. Will have the dealer look at it when I go back again.

3. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by CatFan View Post
    If it’s got enough current to feel, it’s enough to worry about.
    Lick a 9 volt battery posts. Let me know if you feared for your life. It's all about current.

4. Electrical/Wiring/Trolling Motors Moderator CatFan's Avatar
    Lick a 9 volt battery posts. Let me know if you feared for your life. It's all about current.
    If you can feel electricity with your hand, it is dangerous. A wet tongue with nerve endings just under the skin is in no way comparable to being shocked by touching a single metal object with your hand.
    If you have integrity, nothing else matters. If you don't have integrity,
    nothing else matters.​

5. Member
    We all make our own decisions and pay the consequences if any. I for one won't tell anyone else not to worry about it. JMHO
    Tell me where has a slow movin' once quick draw outlaw got to go

6. Member
    Keep us informed as to how the dealer solves the problem.

Tick. Tick. Tick.
    Last edited by billnorman1; 09-05-2020 at 10:43 AM.

7. Member
    Still waiting.

8. Member
    Haven't made it back to them yet. Hopefully by the end of the month.

9. Member
    I would focus on the neutral line between your extension cord and house circuit breaker.
    Try to get an AC voltage reading between neutral and ground prong at the battery charger AC plug WHILE it is plugged in and charging.
    You should get a close to zero voltage reading between.
    My guess is you have a "soft" connection on your neutral wire, either from the extension cord or a connection in the outlet or at the circuit breaker box, or lastly a bad neutral wire.
    It's checking good without a load, but when current is flowing, heat is causing a higher resistance.
    Ground in the outlet is for safety and should not be the normal current return path for the charger. It seems to be in your case because the boat chassis will end up being connected to the safety ground through your negative battery terminal & outboard & starter as explained in an earlier post.
    How good do the batteries charge? Do they take a seemingly long time to charge up? Do the LED lights on the charger ever go solid or do they always flash?
    Last edited by tweakjr; 09-09-2020 at 07:13 PM.
    Console [HELIX 10MSI G3N || HELIX 10MSI G3N]
    Bow [HELIX 12 CHIRP SI GPS G2N] || RC-2] || [HELIX 10MSI G4N] || [M360 UNIVERSAL MOUNT] || [Mega Live]
    ULTERRA80/US2/IPLINK-60" BT || 2xAS ETH 5PXG || Victron IP67 12V/25A || [NoCo Genius GX2440 24V/40A]
    [X2 GROUP 31] x 3 || [Battleborn 31 lithium]
    Alumacraft Voyageur 175/Yamaha VF115LA

10. Member
    Just keepin it in view.

Well at least still alive on the 9th!

Steve McQueen "Le Mans"
    Own the Champ! Life Long Petty Fan!

2003 ChampioN 2006 250 Merc. XB, Prop By Mark C.
    2002 Ranger Okeechobee Special EvinRude Ficht 90 / 9.9 4-Stroke GLAD to have a Get me to the Dock motor maybe!

12. Member
    My Tracker 185 XT did that. While replacing some wiring on the boat I leaned over the side wearing a sweaty t-shit and touched the POS post and it shocked the crap out of me. Checked all the wiring and didn't find anything out of the ordinary. But while I was doing some narrowing down for Garmin RFI noise, I grounded my NEG cranking battery directly the aluminum transom brace in the bilge and it all went away. I still don't know how or why, makes absolutely no sense to me, but that cable will be there from now on...

13. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Crappie Bob View Post
    My Tracker 185 XT did that. While replacing some wiring on the boat I leaned over the side wearing a sweaty t-shit and touched the POS post and it shocked the crap out of me. Checked all the wiring and didn't find anything out of the ordinary. But while I was doing some narrowing down for Garmin RFI noise, I grounded my NEG cranking battery directly the aluminum transom brace in the bilge and it all went away. I still don't know how or why, makes absolutely no sense to me, but that cable will be there from now on...
    Well the motor is grounded to the frame on a tin boat, so I don't see any reason you can't run a jumper from the battery to the boat framework. Just don't use the hull for a convenient ground to keep from using a negative lead, it will cause tons of corrosion in the long run.

Is this a clue?

14. Member
    Connecting to the hull is an invitation to electrolysis. Ground is not necessarily ground. The motor has a sacrificial Zink attached to the lower unit. It will be the only thing affected by voltage leakage unless you ground anyplace else. Close to the motor is not the same as to the motor. JMHO Bob
    Tell me where has a slow movin' once quick draw outlaw got to go

15. Member
    And?

16. Member
    And?
    He died. RIP

17. Member
    Over a month since the author made an entry. If he died, enquiring minds need to know.

Horse water thing! Couldn't make him drink and didn't like the advise so he rolled the dice. Came up snake eyes!

He logged in yesterday.

Steve McQueen "Le Mans"
    Own the Champ! Life Long Petty Fan!

2003 ChampioN 2006 250 Merc. XB, Prop By Mark C.
    2002 Ranger Okeechobee Special EvinRude Ficht 90 / 9.9 4-Stroke GLAD to have a Get me to the Dock motor maybe!

19. Member
    I am waiting for the dealer to contact me. He is waiting for a new transducer from Tracker. The other one is rubbing on the mounting bracket. I am wanting to take care of everything in one trip as the dealer is an hour and a half drive from here.

I was just doing some more messing around with it. The thing I can do to get the AC voltage to go away other than unplugging the charger, is run a cable from any metal part on the boat to some rebar I pushed in the ground. Tried it plugged into the neighbors house as well and same result.
    Last edited by Ajojo; 10-12-2020 at 09:37 PM.

20. Member
    Wow. The way I see it is you have ghost voltage only discernible with a very sensitive voltmeter. If it was "real" you would be harvesting earthworms from around that rod.

If your power 115 volt wire to the charger is in a bundle parallel to your boat wiring I could see it inducing ghost voltage into that bundle.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast