Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    I think at the very least I would reach in them jeans and pull out some green and call a (((key word here))) (((qualified)))electrical technician to come and inspect the supply to the area being used. It sounds like it searching for ground = the tingling when you are suppling it!

Steve McQueen "Le Mans"
    Own the Champ! Life Long Petty Fan!

2003 ChampioN 2006 250 Merc. XB, Prop By Mark C.
    2002 Ranger Okeechobee Special EvinRude Ficht 90 / 9.9 4-Stroke GLAD to have a Get me to the Dock motor maybe!

2. Member
    There indeed is your sign. Get an electrician to check out that circuit at least. Before you find out if you can live with it or not live because of it. Please! Bob
    Tell me where has a slow movin' once quick draw outlaw got to go

3. Member
    When I first got married I lived in a mobile home. Came home from work one day took hold of the storm door and was shocked. I checked all grounds even drove in a new ground rod still getting shocked. Had it checked out said they couldn't figure it out. Come to find out a crane motor across the road from me had shorted out and was back feeding running the ground to my home. When that got fixed no more shocking.
    Rocket

I guess you could try plugging in at a friends house not close to your house and see if the problem still exists. That would rule out if it was the boat or your power at your house.
    Ranger Boats / Mercury Motors
    G Loomis Rods / Shimano Reels
    Raymarine / MinnKota Ultrex
    Garmin / Live Scope Plus
    Pepper Jigs / Robo Worms
    Troll Bridge / V-T2 Vents

5. Member
    I can't figure this out. I'm out of ideas. I'm getting 55 volts AC from house ground to hull. I only feel it when I touch the boat with bare feet. I tried the neighbors outlet as well.

If I run a jumper cable from the motor to a spike in the ground the reading goes away and I don't feel the tingle. What does that mean?
    Last edited by Ajojo; 08-24-2020 at 02:39 PM.

6. Member
    Run a ground wire from the motor to the hull if that eliminates the issue. Meters can read voltage even when there is no amperage capacity behind it. If you're reading 55 volts, there is no 55 volt supplied by the charger, you are probably reading 115 with very very weak amperage capacity. Yes it can easily kill you if it can pump 2-300 milliamps through your heart but I don't think it's there at that capacity or youer widow would be on BBC.

7. Member
    Dangerous game to play. Find the issue. Sounds like the charger at this juncture. Bob

8. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by bobcoy View Post
    Dangerous game to play. Find the issue. Sounds like the charger at this juncture. Bob
    I agree. That's the only way this makes any logical sense. But they just replaced it with a new one, so the odds are against that.

9. Member
    Things are getting narrowed down. There is no doubt your charger is supplying the ac voltage. Seeing it from both chargers you have to look at installation. Something like larger screws than intended, making contact to the charger ground and in contact with the hull. You can be sure they used the same location as before with the same size screws they used before. Maybe just unscrew the charger and insulate it from the hull with plastic or something just to check. It has to be something. Good luck and be safe. Bob

10. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by bobcoy View Post
    Things are getting narrowed down. There is no doubt your charger is supplying the ac voltage. Seeing it from both chargers you have to look at installation. Something like larger screws than intended, making contact to the charger ground and in contact with the hull. You can be sure they used the same location as before with the same size screws they used before. Maybe just unscrew the charger and insulate it from the hull with plastic or something just to check. It has to be something. Good luck and be safe. Bob
    Unscrewed it from hull and same result.

Ajojo we are going to hear about you on the news or worse some unexpecting person touching your boat. Your fliting with disaster!

Steve McQueen "Le Mans"

2002 Ranger Okeechobee Special EvinRude Ficht 90 / 9.9 4-Stroke GLAD to have a Get me to the Dock motor maybe!

12. Member
    He is working at it. That's all you can do

So, you only feel this is when the charger is plugged in. That would mean it's either the charger or house plug. Is the house plug a 3-wire, not with an adapter, and is the ground lug on the house plug attached to a 2-wire w/ground ? Somewhere there's a weak or bad ground and it's using you as the ground.
    Try taking the NEG wires off the starting battery, leave the NEG from the charger and see what happens. You could also take the NEG wire off of each battery from the charger, one at a time too. You're gonna have to do some troubleshooting on this one.
    Ranger Boats / Mercury Motors
    G Loomis Rods / Shimano Reels
    Raymarine / MinnKota Ultrex
    Garmin / Live Scope Plus
    Pepper Jigs / Robo Worms
    Troll Bridge / V-T2 Vents

14. Member
    It's a 3 wire plug. I tried this on the neighbors house as well.

I removed the charger mounting screws and placed it on plywood. I removed all wires from every battery. The voltage dropped a lot, but it still showed 13 AC volts. When I put the Negative from the motor on the cranking battery it goes up to 55 AC. How is this possible? It's energizing the hull with out even being installed to anything, just being near it. It's like I am being pranked by someone.

The only thing that makes sense is that Tracker has a bad lot of chargers they are using. Anyone else with a new Tracker have this problem?

15. Member
    Have you tested by removing each bank from each battery one at a time already?

The charger is installed under the center seat right?

Can you remove the charger completely out of the boat and inspect all the cables connected to the charger, AC and DC cables? Do you have or have access to another charger to test in your boat? As in a completely different model or brand .

Quote Originally Posted by BoatNoobie View Post
    Have you tested by removing each bank from each battery one at a time already?

The charger is installed under the center seat right?

Can you remove the charger completely out of the boat and inspect all the cables connected to the charger, AC and DC cables? Do you have or have access to another charger to test in your boat? As in a completely different model or brand .

The OP stated the charger has been replace after this started.

News headline coming soon. Person Electrocuted by a defective house circuit details at 11

Steve McQueen "Le Mans"

17. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by BoatNoobie View Post
    Do you have or have access to another charger to test in your boat? As in a completely different model or brand .
    I have a schumacher portable charger that has 2 prongs instead of the 3 the onboard NOCO has. I hooked it up to the cranking battery and read 55 AC as expected.

18. Member
    This link if from Fluke. It may tell you something about your situation. Troubleshooting outlets and home wiring with a meter.
    https://www.fluke.com/en-us/learn/bl...0white%20wire.

19. Electrical/Wiring/Trolling Motors Moderator CatFan's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Ajojo View Post
    I have a schumacher portable charger that has 2 prongs instead of the 3 the onboard NOCO has. I hooked it up to the cranking battery and read 55 AC as expected.
    Did you disconnect the other charger from the cranking battery?
    If you have integrity, nothing else matters. If you don't have integrity,
    nothing else matters.​

20. Member
    Once again, you are likely to read voltage with a multimeter anywhere on a wet boat hooked up to an AC unit in the boat wiring. Meters nowadays are very sensitive. You might even use your body as an extension to your meter leads and it would read.
    I think this could be much ado about nothing, there could even be a boat wiring cable running parallel with the wiring carrying 115 volts to the charger self-inducing voltage into the boat wiring.
    The bottom line is, is there any current available with the voltage? If you put a 10 ohm resistor in parallel with your meter leads do you still read any voltage?

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast