BBC SPONSOR

New 250 pro xs v8 issue

<2b687558>

I apologize a head of time bc I currently do not have my serial number bc my boat is at the dealership again.. It is a new 250 pro xs v8 4 stroke on my new 2020 Cayams cx20 pro. I've had intermittent missing issues off and on since the first time I've put it on the water. (It now has 30 hrs.) Sometimes it has been very slight and here recently it has became pretty severe. It has went several hrs without a hiccup and occasionally would have a slight miss throught out the rpm range. I've had a certified Mercury tech check it out and said he found nothing. Took it back and had a mercury "master tech" check it out and he said he found nothing. The motor has several times threw a non critical 6 beeb code.. Does this code not get logged??

Anyway with my total frustration it has became worse. I am an senior instrumentation and control tech, and troubleshoot complex machine controls and programming issues everyday. I brought it home today after the Master tech said he seen no issues. I pulled the plug wires from the plugs and inspected all looked to be normal. I did however pull the other end of the plug wire at the coil end and noticed on 3 of the 8 they look like the picture below.

Screenshot_20200619-185244_Gallery.jpg

The end of 3 coils looked like this..

Screenshot_20200619-185239_Gallery.jpg

To me it appears i have 3 plug wires that have issues.. If you ook closely you can see carbon marks in both pictures. Meaning the plug wire is not making a good connection to the coil. Again i took back to the dealership today and showed them my findings. The same day I picked it up and was told there was no issues. I sent them a video of how it ran today right after I picked it up. They have always took care of me in the past and I'm sure they will again. Its just frustrating after a major purchace I made and 2 trips to the same place with 2 different trained eyes looking at it and didn't notice anything. Again Don go ahead and tell me to view the forum announcements at the top of the page. If I had the boat in my possesion I would definatly have it. Thanks for any help and I hope this thread may help someone else if they have a simular issue.
    Last edited by EuropeanAM; 06-23-2020 at 02:20 PM.

2. BBC SPONSOR
    Tech called me today he said it threw code 101 ignition circuit failure multiple times.

3. Member
    "Tech" knew about ignition circuit failure code yet told you he found nothing? Wow.

Check your previous posts for serial number, on 3.25.2020 you posted:

2020 250 pro xs v8 4 stroke hub kit number.

S# 2b687558

What is the part number for a hub kit? Thank you.
    _______

Phil
    '09 Hewescraft ProV
    '09 150 Optimax

4. Member
    I had a similar thing happen to mine. One plug wire was not seating properly. It would go on just like the rest .. but over time or a rough ride it would become unseated just slightly.. not even enough to notice until you touched it or wiggled it. After we figured it out Mercury just sent me a new plug wire (#7) I had a tournament this past weekend and taped over it to help hold it in place.. with no issues.

My mechanic didn’t find it during the 100 hour service on it and couldn’t find anything wrong with it at the shop. We found it after running it next day.

5. BBC SPONSOR
    Quote Originally Posted by SilverFox579 View Post
    "Tech" knew about ignition circuit failure code yet told you he found nothing? Wow.

Check your previous posts for serial number, on 3.25.2020 you posted:
    It's a mess. Thank you for finding my serial number. I forgot I posted it before. This was another tech that found the ignition failure. Have had 3 look at it so far. I think this one maybe on the right track.

6. BBC SPONSOR
    Quote Originally Posted by southern_gt View Post
    I had a similar thing happen to mine. One plug wire was not seating properly. It would go on just like the rest .. but over time or a rough ride it would become unseated just slightly.. not even enough to notice until you touched it or wiggled it. After we figured it out Mercury just sent me a new plug wire (#7) I had a tournament this past weekend and taped over it to help hold it in place.. with no issues.

My mechanic didn’t find it during the 100 hour service on it and couldn’t find anything wrong with it at the shop. We found it after running it next day.
    I'm beginning to think that is my issue. One thing I did notice is the plug wires snap going onto the plug end, but just slides over the coil end. I also noticed green grease over the coil tips and wonder where it's not a tight connection if this is causing some issues as well. I do not know what kind of grease it is. I would assume it is dielectric grease witch is not conductive.

7. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Not dielectric grease... normally was SL-101 (a discontinued product).

Keep in mind that "Ignition Circuit-1" is not necessarily the #1 ignition coil (several have been "bit" by that assumption).

Can't see the carbon trails in the pictures- but if they are there, I would certainly not ignore them. This fault can be set due to problems with the plug, wire, coil, or wiring.

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

8. BBC SPONSOR
    Quote Originally Posted by EuropeanAM View Post
    Not dielectric grease... normally was SL-101 (a discontinued product).

Keep in mind that "Ignition Circuit-1" is not necessarily the #1 ignition coil (several have been "bit" by that assumption).

Can't see the carbon trails in the pictures- but if they are there, I would certainly not ignore them. This fault can be set due to problems with the plug, wire, coil, or wiring.
    I appreciate your response. The pictures are not the best I know but there is carbon trails there. They also found a carbon trail on #7 on the plug end yesterday. They are replacing all plug wires and taking it to the river. Hopefully this takes care of my issues. Time will tell. Fingers crossed.

9. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Be sure to report back on how it does.

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

10. BBC SPONSOR
    Quote Originally Posted by EuropeanAM View Post
    Be sure to report back on how it does.
    Dealership changed all 8 plug wires. Cleaned the grease off the tiips and on the connecting points. They took it to the river today and ran it a good while with no missing and no issues. I picked it up and ran it till dark with no issues at all. Even felt to me a little more responsive that it did when I thought it was running correctly. Time will tell, bc I've had ran it several hrs with no issues, but so far it appears it came with a faulty set of plug wires. Hopefully this will help anyone having this same issue. Thanks again for all the input.. If it acts up again I will be sure to post it to possibly help someone else.

Thank You Buck

11. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Good to hear that this resolved it.

12. Member
    Good to hear!

13. BBC SPONSOR
    Now it appears I have a second bad set of plug wires. Just started missing again 2 days ago. Why do I think it is a bad set of plug wires? While it was missing at idle I pulled the cover off and wiggled I believe number 5 boot at the coil and the miss went away. When it would run smooth I would wiggle the same boot and it would start to miss again. Idk what else it could be???? Calling the dealership "again" tomorrow. Beyond frustrated!!!! I fish to relax.. Not to worry if my brand new motor is going to run right or not.

14. Member
    Maybe the coil itself is bad?
    2016 Ranger 1850 LS Reata / Merc 150 4s / SmartCraft / Lowrance HDS Carbon SS3D

15. BBC SPONSOR
    Quote Originally Posted by MichaelJ3 View Post
    Maybe the coil itself is bad?
    Idk. It could be I guess. They checked the coils while it was missing the last time it was at the shop and said all coils checked out fine.

Wouldn't be the first time a coil checked out fine . but turned out to be bad.. Not the same mtr but I had a 2008 300XS that did not show to be bad with test but upon replacing all coils -- never had the problem again.. just a thought.
    Hope they get you going -- I understand the frustration !!!!!!!!!!!!

17. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Buck456 View Post
    Idk. It could be I guess. They checked the coils while it was missing the last time it was at the shop and said all coils checked out fine.
    I should have chosen my words better...intermittent connectivity, since you said wiggling it affected the operation. My thought was maybe there is an intermittent connection within the coil...

Engine is under warranty, they should make it right, go show them what it does when you wiggle it.

You could easily determine if it was coil or wire by swapping (both ends) of the adjacent plug wire onto another cylinder so you move a known intermittent wire or connection from one coil/plug combo to the next, assuming you know it is only #5 causing the problem. You have to swap both ends though, for obvious reasons...
    2016 Ranger 1850 LS Reata / Merc 150 4s / SmartCraft / Lowrance HDS Carbon SS3D

18. BBC SPONSOR
    Quote Originally Posted by MichaelJ3 View Post
    I should have chosen my words better...intermittent connectivity, since you said wiggling it affected the operation. My thought was maybe there is an intermittent connection within the coil...

Engine is under warranty, they should make it right, go show them what it does when you wiggle it.

You could easily determine if it was coil or wire by swapping (both ends) of the adjacent plug wire onto another cylinder so you move a known intermittent wire or connection from one coil/plug combo to the next, assuming you know it is only #5 causing the problem. You have to swap both ends though, for obvious reasons...
    I understand what you mean now. Yes, it could be an intermittent connection in the coil.

I will say this I tightened the connection to the coils and reconnected the wires.. I ran the boat 30+ miles with not one issue last night. Been in contact with the dealership with my findings.