Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

loosing transom savers

I have a 2006 Ranger Z20. In the last three years i have lost 5 transom savers. What am i doing wrong? I usually bring the motor down till it seats and then i bump it down one more time. I lost one bought a new one the next time I went fishing I got to the lake and no transom saver.

2. Member
    Put a 10" rubber tarp strap around the lower unit. No problems then.

3. Member
    Pin it to the base and strap th lower unit to it. Don’t see how it can go anywhere.

4. Member
    I use the rubber strap. I guess I wonder why the motor is moving enough for it to come of the roller.

5. Banned
    wow! I haven't lost one in 40 years!

6. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by PolarKraft195 View Post
    wow! I haven't lost one in 40 years!
    i've lost 1.but i chopped it off with the prop.

7. Kansas Bass Club Moderator
    Never lost one. But if one comes off I sure don’t want it flopping around because it’s hanging from a bungee strap. I want it gone and away from my rig.

Bump that motor down a little more on it. You won’t hurt anything. Have done it for 30 years never lost one yet

8. Member
    Lost one and when I got a new one, I got an elastic type bungee cord and shortened it and attached it to the end that goes over the large rubber roller at the stern. Wrap it over the roller and you are good to go.

9. Member
    Personally, I would get somebody to follow me down the highway and film what is going on. Something is not right and it isn't the transom saver. Either your trailer is giving at point of contact or your motor is bouncing way too high, or maybe you aren't putting enough pressure during install. Space is being created somehow.

10. Member
    I don't know how a transom saver can fall off if you trim the motor down far enough to put tension on it?

11. Member
    Don't buy the one with the rubber end that cradles the lower unit.. They will fall off.

12. Member
    My last one gripped my lower unit so hard I had trouble getting it off. It got stolen. :banghead:

13. Banned
    You may need to tighten it up if they're loose.

14. Member
    Just A Thought are you tightening the straps holding the boat to the trailer? So the boat doesn't move away from trailer

15. Member
    Time for a motormate.
    1994 Stratos 201 Pro XL
    225 Optimax

16. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by clayrhye View Post
    Time for a motormate.
    Are those style ones really that much better?

Quote Originally Posted by Ajojo View Post
    I bought a motor mate last year and I dont think ill ever go back! My Evinrude always wanted to turn while towing it with a transom saver, but it stays rock solid with the motor mate!
    2003 Bass Cat Cougar FTD
    2003 Evinrude 225HO

18. Member
    I always here everyone say that they don't provide the support because they aren't connected to the trailer.

19. Member
    Motor mate they save your pivot point on the engine ,also I know some engines won't lock down unless after it hits the saver you have to run the 2 little cylinders down all the way

20. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Ajojo View Post
    Six of one, half dozen of another. Some prefer transom savers to send the force of the motor to the trailer rather than back to the transom. Other guys prefer Motormate because it’s the “in” thing to have and it looks a lot better. Otherwise I don’t see the benefit of motor mate as it sends the force of the motor bouncing back to the transom. Some might argue that the transoms can handle the stress on the water running high speeds so a motormate is good, but at that point why even use any support if that’s your thought process then all motor supports are useless and a waste of money.

all I know is I want the force away from the transom, so I use a transom saver, and to stop the motor from moving I use motor blocks.
    1995 Ranger 481v
    1995 Johnson Fast Strike 175hp

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast