Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    Been using motorman for a few years now, will never go back to the old transom saver. I'm sure it just personal preference but it's the best to me. BTW, have never, ever LOST a transom saver when that's all we had.

2. Member
    Just trim it down a little more or switch to one of the Motor toter style. If you lose one of them, your motor will be gone as well.

Quote Originally Posted by PolarKraft195 View Post
    wow! I haven't lost one in 40 years!
    I haven’t lost one in the same amount of time. I bought one 30 years ago that has a spring on it, lowering the engine down compresses the spring. I have sold 3 boats but have kept this motor toter.

4. Member
    Ditto! Being in a hurry sometimes makes us forget.
    2019 Triton 20 TRX Patriot, Merc 250 4 stroke

5. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by scooterz20 View Post
    I have a 2006 Ranger Z20. In the last three years i have lost 5 transom savers. What am i doing wrong? I usually bring the motor down till it seats and then i bump it down one more time. I lost one bought a new one the next time I went fishing I got to the lake and no transom saver.
    https://www.lock-n-haul.com/ I use this one. Works very well and it has a rubber covered wire that clips around the trim and lift pins of the engine. Even if it comes loose because you hit a really bad bump, the wire keeps it attached to the engine lift pin.

6. Member
    I thought about the straps being loose and I had one that wouldn't lock down as tight as I wanted it to so I replaced it. I tighten the ratchet tie downs as tight as i can get them.

7. Rich Purington
    all on the same motor? might be something in the tilt/trim that is allowing for it to move.
    2018 Puma FTD
    250 ProXS

8. Member
    Same motor. I tried to lift the motor and see how much it moves but I can't lift it.

9. Member
    A 2x6, on edge

Before motormate on my Yamaha I used the standard style transom saver. I could watch my motor bounce and move as I drove down the road. Consequently my tilt bushings took a beating. I replaced the tilt bushing and went with a motormate. Problem solved and my motor is solid as a rock while trailering.
    2024 Phoenix 818, Mercury 175 (3B414035) Trick Steps, 3 Garmin 106 SV,s, LVS 34. BoatEFX dual bow mount. Ionic 12V 125AH, 2 12V 100 ah LiTime’s for the TM. Minn Kota 345 PCL charger,

11. Member
    Motormate is a trim saver, not a transom saver.

12. Member
    Been in numerous discussions on which is better an old school transom saver or a Motormate style and have yet to meet anyone that has had a damaged transom as a result of using a Motormate style.

13. Member
    Switch to a motor mate or transom sticks

14. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by PMantle View Post
    Motormate is a trim saver, not a transom saver.
    I used one until my mechanic told me not to and went back to long one that saves the transom

15. Banned
    Interesting timing of this thread.
    After over 50 years of owning boats, and using "transom savers" on the vast majority, I finally lost one 2 days ago. When I arrived at the ramp there were a bunch of kids playing on and around the ramp. I hollered at a woman who was sitting nearby on a lawn chair and who was obviously in charge of them and asked her to rein them in while I launched my boat so I didn't run over a couple of them. Anyway, I kept one eye on the little boogers while I prepped and launched my boat. Unfortunately, I had forgotten to remove the transom saver. I had, years ago, quit using the rubber strap to secure it as it never seemed necessary. The strap may have held it to the lower unit but once I got underway I'm afraid it would have gotten into the prop and created a bigger problem.
    So, just another in a long list of stupid old man tricks that have become more and more common.
    By the way, did you know that a chainsaw will run for almost 20 minutes on straight gas (no oil added) before seizing?

16. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by marlake View Post
    Interesting timing of this thread.
    After over 50 years of owning boats, and using "transom savers" on the vast majority, I finally lost one 2 days ago. When I arrived at the ramp there were a bunch of kids playing on and around the ramp. I hollered at a woman who was sitting nearby on a lawn chair and who was obviously in charge of them and asked her to rein them in while I launched my boat so I didn't run over a couple of them. Anyway, I kept one eye on the little boogers while I prepped and launched my boat. Unfortunately, I had forgotten to remove the transom saver. I had, years ago, quit using the rubber strap to secure it as it never seemed necessary. The strap may have held it to the lower unit but once I got underway I'm afraid it would have gotten into the prop and created a bigger problem.
    So, just another in a long list of stupid old man tricks that have become more and more common.
    By the way, did you know that a chainsaw will run for almost 20 minutes on straight gas (no oil added) before seizing?
    I did that once. I older guy was launching his boat bynhimself and I went to help him and forgot to remove the transom saver. I could see it laying on the bottom.

17. Member
    I took mine off with the prop this spring. It stung. Dont get in a hurry when its still dark out. Lol

P.s. Thank goodness for Mark Croxton!!!
    Attached Images Attached Images

18. Member
    motor mate all the way, if motor is down securely on mm it can't bounce. Transom saver puts shock from the road on lower unit,thus traveling up the motor to transom. Todays transoms can handle either one. Do it your way

19. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by bbuckeye View Post
    motor mate all the way, if motor is down securely on mm it can't bounce. Transom saver puts shock from the road on lower unit,thus traveling up the motor to transom. Todays transoms can handle either one. Do it your way
    I couldn't possibly disagree with this more than I do. I mean, none of it is accurate.

20. Member
    Never lost one, no strap or pin used.
    Bill Perry
    Zwolle, LA (Toledo Bend)
    bpicinc_2000@yahoo.com
    2001 ZX-250 VMAX 225. HDS-9 Carbon, HDS-7Carbon, 3D Sonar, HB 998c hd si, Active Target, MG Tour Pro 36v, 12" Slide Master
    USN, USS Newport News CA-148

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast