Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Docks I fish normally have a lot brush and docks in general have a lot of things that can break you off. You need to get the fish out as quick as possible so they don’t have a chance to get hung in the brush or break you off. Baitcasters are the best tool for that job.

I prefer 20# XT to skip docks with a jig, short line need some stretch on the hookset, XT is pretty tuff stuff on dock pilings. I also be doing it for a long time so its also a comfort thing too. no need to change.

3. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by juice780 View Post
    Docks I fish normally have a lot brush and docks in general have a lot of things that can break you off. You need to get the fish out as quick as possible so they don’t have a chance to get hung in the brush or break you off. Baitcasters are the best tool for that job.
    So far not a single thing you've said has been correct, or even factual. But I'll take this opportunity to provide YOU some facts so you know what you're talking about.

Getting broken off has to do with line choice. Put braid on your spinning reel.

You need to get them out fast? I picked the diawa tatula line, but I'm sure others are similar enough. A tatula 4000 series spinning reel picks up 39.1" of line per rotation, compared to 32.8" for an 8.1:1 casting reel. Too big? Too heavy (doubtful there, since it's 2 tenths of an oz heavier than a tatula sv casting reel). Fine, go down to a 3000 series. Still picks up more line, at 36.8", and weighs a full ounce LESS than a baitcaster.

Lots of heavy crap to pull them out of, so you need drag? Spinning wins again. 13.2# on a tatula sv baitcaster, vs DOUBLE THAT at 26.4 on a 4000 series lt. 3000 series still comes in at 22#.

Would you like to go for double jeopardy where the dollar values can really matter?

4. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by exx1976 View Post
    So far not a single thing you've said has been correct, or even factual. But I'll take this opportunity to provide YOU some facts so you know what you're talking about.

You need to get them out fast? I picked the diawa tatula line, but I'm sure others are similar enough. A tatula 4000 series spinning reel picks up 39.1" of line per rotation, compared to 32.8" for an 8.1:1 casting reel. Too big? Too heavy (doubtful there, since it's 2 tenths of an oz heavier than a tatula sv casting reel). Fine, go down to a 3000 series. Still picks up more line, at 36.8", and weighs a full ounce LESS than a baitcaster.

Lots of heavy crap to pull them out of, so you need drag? Spinning wins again. 13.2# on a tatula sv baitcaster, vs DOUBLE THAT at 26.4 on a 4000 series lt. 3000 series still comes in at 22#.

Would you like to go for double jeopardy where the dollar values can really matter?

Do you just comment on threads to argue?
    Semper Fi

5. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by jrbdad View Post
    Do you just comment on threads to argue?
    No, it just irritates me when people post incorrect nonsense. The problem with it is when someone else comes along and reads it and doesn't knnow any better, they think they learned something, and go off and repeat the incorrect nonsense, and society as a whole gets dumber. That's not good for anyone.

If the dude had simply said "I like baitcasters more than I like spinning reels" then fine, no argument. But there is not one single thing he said that is correct that should deter someone else from using a spinning reel if they want to. I even gave him the opportunity to explain several times before posting hard data that anyone can verify on daiwa's site. I figured maybe there was something in it for me to learn. Nope. He just kept on with "they are the best tool for the job" nonsense, which is simply incorrect.

Thanks for the laugh. I’ll tell all the pros around here they have been doing it wrong for years

7. Member
    Thanks for the laugh. I’ll tell all the pros around here they have been doing it wrong for years
    Your reading comprehension leaves much to be desired.

I’m not going to argue anymore. You obviously don’t know much about fishing heavy cover. You don’t want drag. You want a heavy rod with heavy line to pull them out of cover so they don’t have a chance to go back in. That’s why everyone uses the super high speed reels they do b

9. Member
    I’m not going to argue anymore. You obviously don’t know much about fishing heavy cover. You don’t want drag. You want a heavy rod with heavy line to pull them out of cover so they don’t have a chance to go back in. That’s why everyone uses the super high speed reels they do b
    Heavy spinning rod? Yup, they make em.
    Heavy braid on a spinning reel? Yep, you can do that too.
    "high speed reels", before you cut yourself off? That would be to... Retrieve line faster? Spinning reels pick up more line than casting reels.

Again, your position cannot be factually defended. And again, if your logic is simply "I prefer casting reels to spinning reels", that's fine. If your logic is "that's what the pros use", well, all I can say to that is "you're not a pro". Perhaps you should try tiger wood's golf clubs and see if they magically make you shoot 8-under?

Heavy spinning rod? Yup, they make em.
    Heavy braid on a spinning reel? Yep, you can do that too.
    "high speed reels", before you cut yourself off? That would be to... Retrieve line faster? Spinning reels pick up more line than casting reels.

Again, your position cannot be factually defended. And again, if your logic is simply "I prefer casting reels to spinning reels", that's fine. If your logic is "that's what the pros use", well, all I can say to that is "you're not a pro". Perhaps you should try tiger wood's golf clubs and see if they magically make you shoot 8-under?
    You gotta admit that about 99% of anglers sure seem to prefer a baitcasting setup to a spinning setup for pitching/flipping as well as skipping heavier jigs etc.

11. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark Perry View Post
    You gotta admit that about 99% of anglers sure seem to prefer a baitcasting setup to a spinning setup for pitching/flipping as well as skipping heavier jigs etc.
    I do freely admit that. I myself have 2 tatula elite p/f in the boat, and all my musky rods are casting reels as well.

My only point is that OP was having a lot of trouble performing this task with a casting reel, and suggested that he may try it with an "eggbeater". Out of the woodwork came the posts about how spinning reels are inferior, which is simply not the case. Both have their place, and both are well-suited for various tasks. Which specific tasks those are will be up to the individual using them, and a new angler (not saying OP is new, just speaking in gerlneralities) should not choose something solely based on the preferences of someone else. Casting reels take a considerable amount more practice and finesse to use, and can easily frustrate those who are not that well coordinated or may lack dexterity. I'm sick of the fishing world trying to make them feel inferior because of their gear choices, especially when for every reason given so far, a spinning reel is superior (if we leave personal preference out of it).

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Perry View Post
    Sure doesn’t matter to him and he probably will say you are wrong.

13. Member
    Sure doesn’t matter to him and he probably will say you are wrong.
    If you suck as bad at fishing as you do at reading, you should sell your boat now.

I read what you wrote. You didn’t prove a thing other than you prefer spinning which is fine. I’m not the best skipper out there but I have fished with a lot of really good ones. This has nothing to do with the op post at this point. Just agree to disagree.

15. Member
    I read what you wrote. You didn’t prove a thing other than you prefer spinning which is fine. I’m not the best skipper out there but I have fished with a lot of really good ones. This has nothing to do with the op post at this point. Just agree to disagree.
    Clearly you've not read what I wrote. Lol

There is no "agree to disagree". In every measurable statistic you've attempted to quote, spinning reels are superior. Period.

If you prefer casting reels as a matter of personal choice, that's perfectly fine. I'm certainly not here to fight with you about what you, or anyone else (pros included), likes to use. Hell, use a cane pole for all I care. My point is as stated above, multiple times, which you've obviously failed to read and/or comprehend.

Use whatever you want, but your feeble-minded attempts at belittling others by incorrectly telling them their equipment is inferior are simply nonsense, and I'll call you out on it every time.

Sounds like you got your feelings hurt by someone saying something bad about spinning equipment.

17. Member
    Sounds like you got your feelings hurt by someone saying something bad about spinning equipment.
    Sounds like you have the iq of an 8 year old.

I am going to end this saying I apologize to the op that me and the fairy wand master got in a pissing match. Hope you got some useful information from this.

19. Member
    I am going to end this saying I apologize to the op that me and the fairy wand master got in a pissing match. Hope you got some useful information from this.
    You are, bar none, the dumbest person on this board. I hope you crash your boat and die in a fire.

Also, welcome to my ignore list so I don't get sucked into your mindless nonsense in the future.

20. Member
    You are, bar none, the dumbest person on this board. I hope you crash your boat and die in a fire.

Also, welcome to my ignore list so I don't get sucked into your mindless nonsense in the future.
    Well that is uncalled for. Just go away.
    Semper Fi

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast