Thread: Dang Choices

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Exclamation Dang Choices

Finally going to upgrade my trolling motor but now I get to choose between three super options.

Question for you guys. Lowrance vs Ultrex!!!!!

I have lowrance electronics but will be getting a HB 360 in the future. I see the benefits vs all the live stuff in my opnion for my style fishing. And may be going to HB as the lowrance's go bad.

I like the brake away mount on the Lowrance vs the Ultrex and that is really the only reason beside the better warranty.

Just curious what others are thinking.
    2015 Phoenix 921 Mercury 250 Pro XS

I believe the fortrex mount for the 360 will fit on a lowrance shaft so you should be good to go in that aspect. I run lowrance for everything and then bird for 360 with the ultrex. I’d probably go with the ghost as the ultrex is probably just as prone to breaking as the ghost is right now. I haven’t done any research on the ghost other than watching videos. I haven’t read any threads on it so I really can’t even say if guys love or hate it but I know that interference is gone with the ghost and that’s a major plus.

2023 Ford F150 XLT Super Crew 2.7L Ecoboost FX4
    2021 Phoenix 721/ Mercury 250 ProXS 4s
    HDS16 Pro- Solix15 : Console
    HDS16 Pro W/AT - Garmin 126 W/ lvs34 - Solix12/ 360 : Bow
    Dual 10' Blades/ Lowrance Ghost/ Bobs Hydraulic Plate
    290ah cranking / 100ah trolling. Miller tech/Ionic/Relion lithium

MLF Invitationals Angler
    Instagram @brettcarnright

3. Member
    I run the ultrex and my friend has the ghost. I have to say I prefer the ultrex over the ghost.

4. Banned
    Once you get used to the ghost it is great. Quietest trolling motor I have ever seen.

5. Member
    Depends on your electronics if you ask me........I ordered new boat with the Force.......I only use Garmins

6. Member
    Like WSfishing I run all Garmin; however, if I had to choose between the two, I would run an Ultrex. Features are always nice on anything we purchase, but for me on a trolling motor I care about three things. First is quality and customer service, two how accurate the spot lock is, and three how noisy it is.

7. Member
    WSfishin and Hooked247, how do you like the Garmin Force?

Buddy in my club hasn't been happy with the Ghost in heavy weed, he was a prior MK user.
    2024 Phoenix 21 XE - Mercury 250 PRO XS Serial #3B429919
    2017 Phoenix PHX 21 - Yamaha 250 SHO
    2010 Skeeter 20i - Yamaha 250 SHO
    1988 Procraft 1780 Competitor - Mercury 100

9. Member
    The Force is fantastic and very quiet. My choice is not because I run all Garmin units either. I only wanted an efficient, well made troller that has anchor lock. All the other features are just a bonus. I know for a fact from previous conversations that if I had issues Garmin would be there to assist. I have witnessed all of the newest motors in action from Pro's at a few recent tournaments in my neck of the woods to include the new Motorguide Tour Pro. By far the quietest underway in order is Force, Ultrex & Tour Pro about the same, then Ghost. Quietest motor noise while in spot lock Force, Tour Pro, Ultrex, and Ghost. I'm not trying to bash on any brand I just tell it like I witnessed it, not from he said she said scenarios. I would run either a Force or Ultrex only, otherwise I would go back to the 112 Fortrex that came on my boat. Everyone has personal "things" they look for when running a unit or trolling motor, I'm just not one that falls in love with features as much as the solid functionality of it. My recommendation is go see them in action. YouTube videos and even watching a live event on your computer can be very misleading. I was quit surprised when they were at Eufaula seeing them tested in open water, bouncing dock to dock, and getting up in the weeds.

10. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by DGipson View Post
    WSfishin and Hooked247, how do you like the Garmin Force?
    Don’t have it yet........

11. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by WSfishin View Post
    Don’t have it yet........
    Do you have a build date for your boat? Mine is scheduled for production week of July 20, I ordered on May 14. What boat did you order?

12. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Hooked247 View Post
    The Force is fantastic and very quiet. My choice is not because I run all Garmin units either. I only wanted an efficient, well made troller that has anchor lock. All the other features are just a bonus. I know for a fact from previous conversations that if I had issues Garmin would be there to assist. I have witnessed all of the newest motors in action from Pro's at a few recent tournaments in my neck of the woods to include the new Motorguide Tour Pro. By far the quietest underway in order is Force, Ultrex & Tour Pro about the same, then Ghost. Quietest motor noise while in spot lock Force, Tour Pro, Ultrex, and Ghost. I'm not trying to bash on any brand I just tell it like I witnessed it, not from he said she said scenarios. I would run either a Force or Ultrex only, otherwise I would go back to the 112 Fortrex that came on my boat. Everyone has personal "things" they look for when running a unit or trolling motor, I'm just not one that falls in love with features as much as the solid functionality of it. My recommendation is go see them in action. YouTube videos and even watching a live event on your computer can be very misleading. I was quit surprised when they were at Eufaula seeing them tested in open water, bouncing dock to dock, and getting up in the weeds.
    Thanks for the perspective... I'm coming from Humminbird and Ultrex and going all Garmin this time. I'm looking forward to the change, I've been impressed with what I've seen from Garmin.

13. Member
    Thanks for the perspective... I'm coming from Humminbird and Ultrex and going all Garmin this time. I'm looking forward to the change, I've been impressed with what I've seen from Garmin.
    You will be VERY impressed. I came from an all Humminbird setup to now all Garmin and I kick myself for not doing it sooner. Everything works! I run four 12" units plus livescope and I couldn't be happier. The processors are so fast it makes my previous Solix units seems very outdated. I've called Garmin a few times, one for an issue and no questions asked they shipped a replacement part over night, and the other times were "how to" questions. REAL PEOPLE who are also avid fisherman answer the phone. As long as you register your products Garmin is quick to answer the call.

14. Member
    You will be VERY impressed. I came from an all Humminbird setup to now all Garmin and I kick myself for not doing it sooner. Everything works! I run four 12" units plus livescope and I couldn't be happier. The processors are so fast it makes my previous Solix units seems very outdated. I've called Garmin a few times, one for an issue and no questions asked they shipped a replacement part over night, and the other times were "how to" questions. REAL PEOPLE who are also avid fisherman answer the phone. As long as you register your products Garmin is quick to answer the call.
    That is great to hear! The new Garmin units will be my first experience with touch screens. Which units do you have? I'm still trying to decide which ones to go with... my boat should be at my dealer last week of July.

15. Member
    That is great to hear! The new Garmin units will be my first experience with touch screens. Which units do you have? I'm still trying to decide which ones to go with... my boat should be at my dealer last week of July.
    I have three Ultra 126's and one 1242xsv for my livescope. The Garmin touch screens are incredibly fast and responsive.

16. Member
    I have three Ultra 126's and one 1242xsv for my livescope. The Garmin touch screens are incredibly fast and responsive.
    Thank you

17. Member
    Thank you
    What Phoenix model?

18. Member
    What Phoenix model?
    921 Elite

19. Member
    921 Elite
    Sweet. I run a 920, maybe next time I will eyeball the 921, maybe . . .

20. Member
    Do you have a build date for your boat? Mine is scheduled for production week of July 20, I ordered on May 14. What boat did you order?
    Not yet. Should be mid August. 920 PROXP

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast