HydroTec vs NizPro Flash for 250 SHO

Just wondering if anyone has an opinion on the best flash for 250 SHO. I’ve heard mixed reviews on both...some say they worked, others say no. Also let me know what the rev limiter was set to post-flash.

2. Member
    HydroTec, 6500, 300. Works unbelievably

3. Member
    HydroTech didn't work? The BEST in the business, and flashing the ECU is light work for them. Have you visited their website or called them? They don't just flash ECU's. . .

https://www.hydrotecmarine.com/

4. Member
    I had a guy who runs my exact setup tell me this week that the Hydro flash didn't do anything for his performance. I've heard good things about them otherwise. I have called and would prefer to deal with them over others but I want to make sure it's a good investment. Getting my boat set up is an ongoing nightmare.
    2019 Xpress X21 Pro
    Yamaha SHO 250

I think it all depends on what engine is being flashed. The most drastic performance increases are coming from the 200 SHO(from what I read). I had my 250 SHO flashed a long time ago by Simon motor sports, before Hydrotech was doing them. My limiter is set to 6500. I noticed a performance gain, in terms of time to reach top speed. Getting 0 to top speed faster. I do have the dreaded "flat spot" some mention they experience, where rpms climb very quickly until 5600-5700 rpms, then I hit a wall. At low and mid range up to 5000rpm, anytime I smash the hot foot, it will pin you down in the seat and accelerate quickly, but lines out around 5700-5800. The results are the same with a 25 pitch through 28 pitch prop. No matter what prop is on, it launches out of the hole and will pin you back if just cruising and smash it down. I don't recall the flat spot before the flash tho. I did reach out to Hydrotech since they started doing the flash also, but they do not want to touch my ecu, since it was flashed already several years ago.
    Last edited by H22BASS250SHO; 06-19-2020 at 03:03 PM.

2018 21' GatorTrax Strike Series, 250 Yamaha SHO

6. Member
    So no gain in top end from your flash? Are you able to get past the flat spot or is it maxing out at 5700 RPMs?
    2019 Xpress X21 Pro
    Yamaha SHO 250

I gained a little top end because I am turning the 27 pitch to the same rpm as the 25, with pretty much the same slip %, but no matter what prop I have on, 5700-5850(depending on load and time of year) is max rpm. Like I mentioned earlier tho, it’s a monster low end thru mid range. The way it flies to 5500 rpm, you would swear it would turn up to the limiter at 6500 rpm, but it just stops. I am getting full throttle on the cable indicator arrows too. I thought maybe I wasn’t, but I am.

2018 21' GatorTrax Strike Series, 250 Yamaha SHO

8. Member
    Seems like something is off then if not obtaining any gain after flash. ?? Very novice with this concept but something doesn't seem correct

9. Member
    I would use Hydrotec. If you spend the money on the flash, have them cone your lower. On a TR 196 with a fishing load, myself, I was running 92 in good water. The cone is at least as important as the flash. There are no flat spots.
    Keith Broussard Caney Lake, Louisiana
    2000 TR21 2000 Mercury 250 Pro XB OG980775 14" hydro plate

10. Member
    ^^^^^ What does cone your lower mean? Not familiar with that term. Thanks

11. Member
    They add a nosecone to the front of the lower unit. Close the water pickups, add the water pickups to the bottom of the lower. It makes the lower unit longer, I thinks it lifts the boat better, def handles better and with the low water pickups you can run the motor higher. Call Hydro Tec, they can tell you about it
    Keith Broussard Caney Lake, Louisiana
    2000 TR21 2000 Mercury 250 Pro XB OG980775 14" hydro plate

I would defiantly suggest the coned lower unit if getting into the mid to high 80s and beyond.
    BULLET 20 XRD/250 Merc Sport XS
    www.ncboatguy.com

13. Member
    Some good info here but there’s really no information on the difference between the two companies?
    Lake&Bay Boca
    SHO

14. Member
    Thank you jrspop......debating how far I might want to go with this. I'd like a little more "pop"but not absolutely necessary.......dream on!

15. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by ClarkBird View Post
    Some good info here but there’s really no information on the difference between the two companies?
    Hydrotec is U.S. based, and NizPro is based out of Australia with U.S. dealers.

16. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Hooked247 View Post
    Hydrotec is U.S. based, and NizPro is based out of Australia with U.S. dealers.
    that’s not what I’m asking. Would like to know the difference between their respective tunes, if there is one.
    Lake&Bay Boca
    SHO

17. Member
    Only way to compare apples with apples take to Stock Motors fit with the diferent flushed ECU's and run on the Same Dino under Same conditions.