anyone bass fish lake Matamaskeet and Phelps lake

Matamaskeet back in the 80's was full of 5lb bass , not heard in years looks baron on google maps , I didnt even see a boat ramp, anyone on here know if it can be fished with abass boat and is it worth messing with ,
    1996 Javelin 409T DC /225 Johnson Venom

2. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by darryl1966 View Post
    Matamaskeet back in the 80's was full of 5lb bass , not heard in years looks baron on google maps , I didnt even see a boat ramp, anyone on here know if it can be fished with abass boat and is it worth messing with ,

back in the day, mattamuskeet was one of the best bass lakes in the country and it wasn’t well known because it wasn’t easy to access by boat. It was also full of grass then. However the lake is all but completely void of any sav. Like a lot of our resources(currituck, Shearon Harris) it wasn’t managed correctly by the state or refuge and the grass died, and with it went the fish. It is a DEAD sea now. Breaks my heart every time I drive down 94 and look at it the way it is now. Someone else will have to chime in on lake Phelps as it has been many years since I’ve been on it. But I know people who fish it that love it.

Phelps is a shallow clear water lake with good potential for nice bass catches. Pads, docks, trees. Very cool place to go. The road right before you get there will shake your teeth loose (unless they've paved in last year) but it's worth a trip.

as said above I've heard the same thing by several people about mattamuskeet:/
    24’Bass Cat Puma Sts-300 Proxs
    23’Gatortrax Gt tunnel hull-200 Suzuki

4. Banned
    Was told the best way to fish Phelps is by kayak and to get there 4x4. Got the truck but not the kayak

5. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Phisherman View Post
    Was told the best way to fish Phelps is by kayak and to get there 4x4. Got the truck but not the kayak
    No, there is a decent ramp in Pettigrew state park and the lake is plenty deep enough to run in a bass boat. It doesn’t look deep because it is gin clear,you can see the bottom anywhere. It can be a handful to fish when the wind gets up though,it’s a 5x7 mile bowl with no cover. Fishing was good there this spring,not sure about now.

6. Member
    We fished phelps last weekend. First time to that lake for me. It is a great place to fish. Water is very clear. There are a lot of cyprus trees along the bank, each one will have a bass near it (it seemed like that anyways). We caught 20 or so decent (2-3lbs) bass. Not sure if the depth of the lake causes this, but a 2lb bass there will fight like a 5-6lber, crazy fun. The main road heading there is in rough shape, but take it slow and you'll be fine.

7. Member
    I also fished Phelps for the first time this year on my buddies boat. It's a little scary running in shallow water, but like everyone says, the lake is just a giant shallow bowl. You'll have to idle away from shore a little to get to water deep enough to plane out, but it's definitely fishable by boat. Very cool lake, it's almost all sight fishing with the clear water.

8. Member
    Lot of nice crappie caught in Matamaskeet the last couple of years.

9. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by th365thli View Post
    I also fished Phelps for the first time this year on my buddies boat. It's a little scary running in shallow water, but like everyone says, the lake is just a giant shallow bowl. You'll have to idle away from shore a little to get to water deep enough to plane out, but it's definitely fishable by boat. Very cool lake, it's almost all sight fishing with the clear water.
    You'll need to idle out 300 yards or so and then you'll still stir up the sand...It'll take any burrs off your prop! Sit her down from plane real early too. Nothing really to hit other that that. A decent wind from the west can make the park boat ramp real interesting....

I took my son there some years ago and let him drive the boat. We made a move an I kept telling him to open her up. Hs response was "Dad! We're doing 65 in 4 feet of water!" That place can be really fun fishing...or a complete bust.....

10. Member
    Love Phelps. The fish will sit in what looks like black holes in the sandy bottom. They will crush a fast worked fluke. Ultra cool watching them come up for it!
    Last edited by bbbill; 06-26-2020 at 02:26 PM.

Matamaskeet
    My grandfather was in a hunting/fishing club down there many moons ago. I remember him taking me bass fishing There when I was 12. We caught over 50 on pop r and torpedoes in the 2-3lb size. It’s what got me hooked on bass fishing to this day. I’m 40 now and remember very shallow water and cypress trees. Used to be a fun place not sure now days.
    Kevin R. Brown
    2020 Bass Cat Cougar
    2020 250 Mercury Pro XS 4-Stroke
    Mega Live & Mega 360
    Ionic Lithum Batteries
    1999 Bass Cat Jaguar
    99 Mercury 250efi

12. Member
    You can fish Phleps wading in the cypress trees - very very fun.