Wiring questions

I swapped out my 1999 200 opti for a 2005 225 pro xs ser#1B174045 and have some wiring questions. I had to use a 8 pin to 14 pin harness part no 896542a01. I have wires from the dash that go to the Merc gauge with four lights they are pink/blue, orange and brown/black and also a white/blue that goes to a temp gauge on the dash and a solid blue that goes to my trim gauge.
    on the new motor I find a three prong female connection out of the harness near the top of engine with a white/orange, black/orange and purple/black wires. From the bottom of the engine I find a brown/white and purple wires that have a rubber protection on the bullet connection.
    so my question is are any of these on the motor the ones I need to connect my dash gauges to? If not where do I find the trim sender, temp sender and is there any way to get my Merc gauge functioning with this motor.
    Any help will be greatly appreciated guys or gals
    Last edited by crashj; 06-19-2020 at 09:41 AM.

2. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Going to be very difficult to discern what is what from the small, thumbnail pictures.

You will not use the 4-light gauge with this engine.

All instruments wire in at the CONSOLE via an Instrument Harness (not at the engine). Instrument wiring is in the keyswitch harness, with a plug at the console end for the Instrument Harness.

DO NOT attempt to plug items into the engine as several of the plugs you have noted colors on are 5V reference circuits (and you can damage the PCM by attempting to connect 12V wiring or devices to them).

And to add- NO ANALOG TEMP GAUGE on this engine (Smartcraft Only). If you wire one up, it will probably never get over 110 degrees (since it would be wired to the AIR COMPRESSOR, not the engine).

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

3. Member
    Forget about the old Icon gauge and purchase a Mercmonitor.

4. Member
    Thanks Don. From researching last night and today some wiring diagrams I have come to he conclusion that Smartcraft is n my future. One question though on this 2005 engine will I still need to install sensors or sending units or are they all on the engine and all I need is to plug in the Smartcraft “kit” and go fishing?

5. Member
    Sensors are already on the motor.

6. Member
    Thanks savage, that’s what I was hoping to hear. So say for fuel monitoring I won’t need to put a new sender in the tank or line? I see the trim sender is digital already. A lot of Mercmoniter kits I see come with a temp sender so I was wondering what other functions of the monitor would need a sender/sensor

7. Member
    The Optimax already has a "temp sender", data comes from PCM. If, when you say fuel monitoring, you mean fuel consumed, that too comes from PCM.
    _______

Phil
    '09 Hewescraft ProV
    '09 150 Optimax

8. Member
    Thanks to all who have helped me to understand.
    1995 procraft V200DC
    2005 225 opti pro xs
    serial 1B174045