4 stroke 150hp CPO Questions

model 8150F13HD S/N 2B476985
    dealer could not get the 1990 trim gauge working, said it needed an adapter that is around $100, just curious what other gauge would work for this motor, please give p/n if possible. then he also could not hook up the old water pressure gauge, said he needed some adapter for the block, so is there a different gauge that will work, or what is the p/n for the adapter. he did install a 4 pin to 14 pin adapter, or something to that order, and he says the tach works. i just got it home so will be hitting the water with it on friday. Dealer also told me there is no break in time, as it is certified pre-owned, that seems a bit odd if its been rebuilt/repaired. they put a 19P 4 blade on it for my 300 series hull.
    thank you for all the help, i hope i like the new motor
    T

2. Member

hate it so far, way too much prop clatter, and i can peg the tach, so different prop

4. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by 5keepers2 View Post
    Does not apply to the 150 (That is for V6/V8 models).

Trim: Your options are to go with a Smartcraft Instrument that can display DIGITAL trim (strongly recommended... without it your engine is restricted to screaming at you or sending smoke signals), -OR- install a Trim Converter, -OR- install a Trim Limit and Converter kit (limits max tilt angle by simple calibration, AND has both analog/digital outputs).

Water pressure does require either a fitting/hose OR a Digital Water Pressure Sensor be added to the engine. Your dealer should have access to this info from Service Literature/Bulletins.

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

Thank you i appreciate all your help

6. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by TerrysRanger374V View Post
    hate it so far, way too much prop clatter, and i can peg the tach, so different prop
    Give it a chance.
    THe SSR Hub Kit may help a ton w/ your prop clatter.
    May definitely take a little tinkering to get the right motor height and Prop. I can tell you, I am very satisfied w/ mine -- but it took getting the right prop on it to really love it.
    2016 Ranger 1850 LS Reata / Merc 150 4s / SmartCraft / Lowrance HDS Carbon SS3D

7. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by 1sharphook View Post
    Michael,

Did you switch from a Flo-Torq IV to a SSR? What prop did you settle on for your 1850?
    I still have FloTorq IV, boat originally had Flo Torq II, and it was horrible for prop rattle. The IV is pretty good, guessing the SSR would be better, but...don't feel like shelling out $100 just for that.

Boat shipped from factory w/ 19P Tempest Plus, was good for top speed, but not good for hole shot or a boat full of people when trying to enjoy watersports or just a day on the lake.
    Went to 17P Revolution 4, and couldn't be happier. Picked this prop at the recommendation of Bud at Ranger Boats. He actually said he always liked the Rev 4 17 on this hull better than the Tempest Plus 19P, but it tended to have prop rattle worse than the 19P tempest plus, and thus Ranger decided to do the 19P Tempest Plus, because it minimized the calls to customer service. Personally I have actually noticed less rattle w/ the Rev 4 (maybe better balanced)...so its a win for me that way too.

The Rev 4 gets me on plane about 4-5 MPH slower than the Tempest Plus, the handling in rough water is amazing, and its better around the docs and at low speed. I gave up about 2 MPH top end, but overall the boat is way better now. With half tank of gas, I get about 43-44 MPH GPS, turning about 5550 RPM, unless the outside temp is about 40, then can get 5650 and maybe 45.5 MPH.

Finally starting to feel better about it. Got the trim sensor adapter installed. Different prop and hub kit got rid if most of the clatter. 14x21p 4 blade. Runs 5600 rpm. Water pressure gauge is last item left to get working. But it will have to wait for a bit.
    Thanks for all the help and information
    T

9. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Finally starting to feel better about it. Got the trim sensor adapter installed. Different prop and hub kit got rid if most of the clatter. 14x21p 4 blade. Runs 5600 rpm. Water pressure gauge is last item left to get working. But it will have to wait for a bit.
    Thanks for all the help and information
    T

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

Is this the stuff i need to hook up my analog water psi gauge, i dont see any grey hoses but will look more closely to see if it is hidden
    1@ 892403 Fitting
    1@ 875207 Tee
    1@ 8M0059531 Digital Pressure Sensor

thank you
    T

11. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    You don't need all of that for ANALOG ONLY.

Wish you were closer, I would just bring it to you. I am on my own I guess if I want to get it done. Thank you for all the help and being the best dealership, everyone in that area are lucky to have you. I will keep looking for one that can figure out how to make it work

13. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    If you buy a Mercury or Quicksilver Gauge KIT, it will come with the tubing and fitting. Should you want a 90 degree fitting, that is Part# 840908.

i have the gauge already from when i bought the boat and the tubing is there i just needed them to hook it to the motor so that should have been easy enough, but guess it was not.
    thanks for the part number, i will check it out
    T

I noticed that when I am going along at slow speeds that if I trim the motor there is a definite drop in rpm, hard to tell at wot, but idle speed it really is a big difference. It always keeps running and come back to the correct rpms, any ideas?
    Thank you

16. Member
    I noticed that when I am going along at slow speeds that if I trim the motor there is a definite drop in rpm, hard to tell at wot, but idle speed it really is a big difference. It always keeps running and come back to the correct rpms, any ideas?
    Thank you
    Mine does the same thing, used to bother me a bit, maybe falls of 20-40 RPM when trimming at idle. I chalk it up to extra electrical load on the alternator (EMF due to increased current draw). Likely never happens much above idle when the motor is higher in the power band.

I can tell you after 3 years, still does it, and I don't really notice it any more. Normal characteristic of the setup, I reckon.

Glad to hear that I am not the only one who has been getting the trim thing

18. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    That's normal due to the added load on the engine (electrical demands maxing-out the alternator's output for a given RPM).

Thank you for your reply