Question for mountain bike dudes....

I think it's time to retire my 21 year old Mongoose mountain bike and get into something else. I would like to buy used because I can't see myself making a hobby out of this pedal machine, that being said, my wife is after me to bike more with her and the kids and I have a really good mountain bike trail right next to my house that I would like to wreck on. I would like to get a bike with a good frame that I can upgrade myself (I'm weird like that) but I don't know what to look for. The biggest problem is sizing, I am 6'4" and weigh 230 and it seems every dang bike manufacturer makes up their own rules for size. Any suggestion or hints is appreciated.
    2005 Nitro NX 882
    2002 Mercury 175 EFI

2. Member
    I have a Giant. I think size 3. I’m 6’2 and about 215 if that helps at all.

3. Member
    Not the cheapest option but the E-bikes are becoming incredibly popular. Allows you to vary the level of boost depending on the trail difficulty, how you feel that day, etc. Also is good if there is a wide-range in skill/ability between your family. You can adjust the settings to help equalize things... Some mountain bike purists roll their eyes at the idea of an E-bike, but I see it as getting people out riding that otherwise may not ride at all.

4. Member
    E-bikes are out, I think they are cool but too expensive
    2005 Nitro NX 882
    2002 Mercury 175 EFI

Trek makes Med,Large,and even an extra large I believe

6. Member
    I'd try to get to a specialty bike shop and try some out and ask there. Lots of good choices, I've been happy with my Kona Blast. You will likely be limited by going used due to the size requirement (it'll be hard to find a specific size of a specific brand used). If it's just recreational riding with the family then I wouldn't worry about brand too much and just try to find one that fits you decent.

7. Member
    I like my Specialized Rock Hopper but I loved my old Trex 7000. First mountain bike was a Iron Horse and really liked that bike.
    Red Sox in 6!

I like specialized. Go to a local bike store and they can size you and tell what bike would fit you best.

9. Member
    There are two bike shops near me, the first one is still closed due to covid and the other is completely out of stock, there was only 5 new road bikes on the racks that's it. They don't expect any new bikes till late summer or fall. It's ridiculous ��
    2005 Nitro NX 882
    2002 Mercury 175 EFI

10. Member
    I have a pretty old Trek and has served me well. Well when I actually used it lol.

11. Member
    What’s your budget?

bicycle blue book will help ya on used bikes. Buy used for sure. They depreciate even worse than bass boats.

My wife and I both have Cannondale bikes. Hers is a couple years old and mine is about 20 years old and I still love it! I've seen some GT mountain bikes at Dicks sporting goods that look pretty nice, and not terribly expensive.
    2003 Bass Cat Cougar FTD
    2003 Evinrude 225HO

13. Member
    I have a specialized in XL. I’m 6’1 230 and dits perfectly.

14. Member
    Specialized is having a hard time keeping inventory. You may have to check a few stores

15. Member
    I’m about 6’2” and 245. The bike I’m riding now is my favorite- Ibis Ripmo XL. Climbs like a dream and is great for a broken old man like me with hip problems.

16. Member
    Try and get yourself a +tire bike. I have a Trek Stache 29er + It an amazing bike with a comfortable geometry, The wheel size is great for bigger guys and they grip like mad greatly reducing the learning curve for trail riding.

17. Member
    I’ve got a Trek Roscoe 7 with 2.8 Tubeless tires. Love the bike. Go with a 1x10 gear set up.

18. Member
    I'm still riding my Specialized FSR, I'd be looking to see what they offer now.