Mercury 200 Pro XS 4 Stroke Recall for Oil Leak

Took my Pro XS 4.6 L 200 h.p. Engine in for crankshaft seal oil leak recall. Mechanic said my leak is worst he has seen so far. Oil all over fly wheel and everything around it. Mercury said to replace all affected parts to avoid potentional future problems. I am glad that Mercury is stepping up on this problem but mechanic did not know how long my boat will be laid up waiting for parts. A bummer because boat has already been there almost 2 weeks waiting to be checked.

Maybe Don would have an idea how long to get replacement parts.
    2020 Triton 18 TRX
    Tournament Fishing Package
    2020 Mercury 200 Pro XS V8 Serial # 2B588923
    Minn Kota Ultrex 80# I Pilot Link
    Hi Jacker EZ 6" Jack Plate
    Bravo 1 FS 24 Pitch Prop
    Humminbird Helix 7 SI GPS CHIRP G2 Bow
    Humminbird Helix 7 CHIRP MEGA GPS DI G3 Console
    Trick Step Boarding Steps
    RMP Engine Support

2. mikesxpress
    The dealer can see the parts availability when they place the order.

3. Member
    had mine done . motor bone dry now.. i noticed was was wet around tb and air box before bulletin came out. i cleaned it twice to be sure it wasnt spillage or assembly lube as directed by their tech.

then service bulletin came out . so i had them order parts for repair and scheduled a time.
    noticed leak at 40 hours . service was done 90 ish.
    1 day without boat
    Nitro2023 triton allure 250 proxs
    Garmin marine
    prostaff

4. Member
    Does anyone have a link to the service bulletin or a serial number range? I have a 2020 200 Pro XS and I'd like to check it against the bulletin.

5. Member
    Your dealer can answer the question or include your serial # as requested in your post and Don will answer the question.
    2018 Z521L 250 PRO XS V8

6. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Gary- Depends on what components are being replaced. Parts availability has been a bit sketchy lately due to the down-time many vendors experienced with COVID-19.

How many hours do you have on this now? Too bad it didn't go in early in the year (or get addressed before you even got the engine).

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

7. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by EuropeanAM View Post
    Gary- Depends on what components are being replaced. Parts availability has been a bit sketchy lately due to the down-time many vendors experienced with COVID-19.

How many hours do you have on this now? Too bad it didn't go in early in the year (or get addressed before you even got the engine).
    Don, I have 21.7 hours on the engine now. The post mark on the envelope from Mercury is Feb 07 2020. I took delivery of this new rig on January 13, 2020 and called dealer immediately upon receipt of the letter from Mercury Outboard Service Bulletin 2019-10. Dealer advised not a big deal and just wait until I brought it in for service. I brought it in for service on Monday June 6th and it was finally checked out yesterday with the results outlined in my post.

Hopefully the necessary parts will arrive next week and I will get my boat back on the water soon.

Have you had any 4.6 Engines in for this recall?

Thank you for responding. I always appreciate you helping us Mercury owners understand the nature and solution for issues that come up from time to time.
    2020 Triton 18 TRX
    Bravo 1 FS 24 Pitch Prop
    RMP Engine Support

This is normaly a problem only with high rpms, the boat can be ran as long as there's enough oil in it. That is what my dealer told me.. My 2019 250, had the seal replaced last fall with only a slight leak. Now the new seal is leaking significantly requiring a new flywheel, belt and other seals as well. Bringing it back to the shop Tuesday, been waiting on the parts also..
    Layton Strong
    Nitro State Team

9. Member
    Hopefully Mercury has redesigned the faulty seal installed originally and which lead to a recall.

It would not seem prudent and cost effective to just replace the problem seal with an identical seal. Surely engineers have researched the cause of failure and changed the design and or material to eliminate future problems.
    2020 Triton 18 TRX
    Bravo 1 FS 24 Pitch Prop
    RMP Engine Support

10. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by 1Holeshot View Post
    Hopefully Mercury has redesigned the faulty seal installed originally and which lead to a recall.

It would not seem prudent and cost effective to just replace the problem seal with an identical seal. Surely engineers have researched the cause of failure and changed the design and or material to eliminate future problems.
    Specific engine serial numbers (based on build date) are subject to this Service Bulletin. Your engine appears to have been flagged for this bulletin before January.

The replacement seal seems to be doing a good job of addressing the problem- as best I can tell the vendor who made the seals got a bit too narrow on the OD (outside diameter).

Have had no further problems with the ones I've installed the replacement seal in.

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

11. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by EuropeanAM View Post
    Specific engine serial numbers (based on build date) are subject to this Service Bulletin. Your engine appears to have been flagged for this bulletin before January.

The replacement seal seems to be doing a good job of addressing the problem- as best I can tell the vendor who made the seals got a bit too narrow on the OD (outside diameter).

Have had no further problems with the ones I've installed the replacement seal in.
    Thank you Don. This post makes me more confident that the seal problem will be one and done.
    2020 Triton 18 TRX
    Bravo 1 FS 24 Pitch Prop
    RMP Engine Support

12. Member
    Happy to report my boat is back from dealer after recall for crankshaft upper seal replacement. Took it for a short run this afternoon and it performed well. Also had throttle checked for 100 % open using the linear computer program from Mercury.
    2020 Triton 18 TRX
    Bravo 1 FS 24 Pitch Prop
    RMP Engine Support

I just bought a new 2020 on Tues. I wonder if this recall was completed? Guess I need to look into it. lol

14. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by lsufan334 View Post
    I just bought a new 2020 on Tues. I wonder if this recall was completed? Guess I need to look into it. lol
    Post your engine serial number and Don can verify if done or not.
    2020 Triton 18 TRX
    Bravo 1 FS 24 Pitch Prop
    RMP Engine Support

Serial#2B771672

16. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by lsufan334 View Post
    Serial#2B771672
    Service Bulletin 2019-010 does not apply to your new engine.

For future reference- we limit threads to ONE engine and serial number. Adding in your information or questions confuses the original poster's question, also referred to as "Thread Hi-Jacking" (prohibited per the Forum Announcements).

Simply open a new post for your engine and question in the future.