Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

DF200 or DF200SS??

I am repowering a 2002 Ranger 520DVX with a Suzuki 200. Dealer has both motors in stock. From what I see the df200 has a 2.08:1 gear ratio and the SS has a 2.5:1 ratio. According to a prop slip calculator I tried, it appears that with a 28 pitch prop engine rpm 6000 with 10% slip the df200 would run 71.59 mph while the SS would run 57.27. Is there some other advantage to the SS model?

2. Member
    I believe the 200SS has the 2.08:1 gear ratio and the regular DF200 has the 2.5:1 ratio. This is from their latest "SS" brochure. I'd have your dealer verify what lower unit your engine has.
    2018 Bass Cat Lynx w/Suzuki 250SS.

3. Member

Gear ratio changed on 2020 models

Quote Originally Posted by booter View Post
    I believe the 200SS has the 2.08:1 gear ratio and the regular DF200 has the 2.5:1 ratio. This is from their latest "SS" brochure. I'd have your dealer verify what lower unit your engine has.
    the brochure that I was looking at was a 2019 issue. Thanks for clarifying that the ratio changed with the 2020 models.
    Bill Roach
    Retired

2002 Ranger 520 DVX
    2020 Suzuki DF200 SS (2.0 : 1 ratio)
    Ulterra 112
    Lowrance HDS 12 Live bow
    Lowrance HDS 12 gen3 console
    Garmin echomap 122 sv bow
    Garmin GLS10 Livescope

4. Member
    The 2020 model SS have a lower gear ratio is my understanding. More suitable for bass boats. In the past the only real difference with the SS and standard model was looks.
    I don't always find schooling fish but when I do I backlash on the first cast

5. Member
    I just bought the 200DF. I couldn't see the extra $1000 for the SS model. I put a 4 blade Suzuki 27 pitch SS prop on it 14" diameter didn't like the low end performance. It has a slightly smaller barrel. I didn't want to do it but I put my whale tail back on. Improved but still not acceptable. Put the BIG Suzuki SS 23.5 pitch 3 blade 16 inch diameter back on and now it positively jumps out of the hole.
    I'll run that combo for a while. I didn't see any other mods on the 200SS except the L/U ratio.

6. Dustin Ray
    If you want performance the SS is the way to go. If you want to save gas go with the standard DF200. The SS gear ratio is by far more geared towards bass boats performance needs, much faster than the DF200.

7. Member
    I just got a new seaark Procat 200 with a 200 ss is there away I can find out what gear ratio it has? Dealer didn’t know nothing about The ratio changing And the prop I got with it is not going to work lol. I found it
    Last edited by warbird; 07-01-2020 at 11:03 AM.
    2020 seaark procat 200 suzuki 200ss

8. Member
    I just put the 200SS on my 18 ft Ranger with the 13 1/4 19 prop and once broken in will know if it's enough prop or not. Since I can't go over 3k for 2 hours it will be a while before I can run 6k.

Idk about the 200 but I have a 250ss and a scorpion 27p. Many people say that prop blows away any susuki prop. I bought my boat used and that's what it came with. 70mph @ 6000rpms on a 2019 pheonix 921

Friend just put a 200SS on his Champion 190 Fish and Ski and they install a 22" suzuki prop. He is still breaking it in but said he hit 58MPH with it on a short burst so its close enough of a prop to get some base line numbers once its broken in. You may find that the 19 might be on the small side and thinking the 22 Scorpion might be the ticket.
    Joe Galada - Tamaqua, PA
    2004 Ranger 521VX - Yamaha 250 SHO

11. Member
    That prop sounds small to me. I have the df200A on a 19' aluminum and I have a 14 1/2x25 that runs to 6000+ rpm.
    Polar Kraft TX195/Suzuki 200/52" Ultrex MDI

12. Member
    Since props and the 200SS are being discussed in this thread, I figured I'd post this here instead of making a new thread.

I just recently bought a Ranger 518VX with a 200SS on it. Seems to be a solid motor but I have been having a hard time getting the right prop dialed in on it. The previous owner had a 14.25 x 21 Powertech prop on it which is just ok. It has a decent hole shot but tops out around 55 to 56mph and it will hit the rev limiter if you stand on it long enough. I was fortunate to find a Suzuki dealer that let me test out a couple of Suzuki props on it. I tried the 15 x 21 3 blade and it had better top end then the Powertech, able to hit about 59mph but it still would over rev. Next I tried the 14.75 x 23 3 blade and it would almost reach 65 mph and didn't over rev but it had a terrible holeshot. I thought maybe the prop between those two, which is a 15.25 x 22 4 blade would be just right since I have heard that 4 blade props have better hole shots than a 3 blade. Nope, that prop made the 23 pitch look good at getting on plane.

I don't know what the hell to try on it now. I read people saying they are running 27 and 28 pitch props on this motor and it blows my mind. I don't think my boat is that heavy overall, but it does have a lot of weight in the back end, especially with full fuel tanks and livewells. I just know that if I can't get a 23 to plane out well, going up to 27 or 28 doesn't seem like it would even be possible. I would welcome any suggestions. I'll be the first to admit that prop wizardry is not one of my primary skills :)

13. Member
    Do you have a hydraulic jack plate? One thing that I do with my 250SS is that I have to raise the motor all of the way and start lowering it once it breaks over to help with the hole shot. Too bad you can’t find another 3 bladed 14.75 x 22 prop to see if the hole shot is better while close to 65 mph.

14. Member
    Wait, you get a better hole shot with the jackplate all the way up? Seems counter-intuitive to me, but I suppose I could try that.

Yes, raise the plate high and it will jump out of the hole pretty quick. I know it doesn't make sense as you would think it has less leverage but I think it's less drag and more pushing the boat forward instead of just forcing the nose down.
    Joe Galada - Tamaqua, PA
    2004 Ranger 521VX - Yamaha 250 SHO

16. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Osprey39 View Post
    Since props and the 200SS are being discussed in this thread, I figured I'd post this here instead of making a new thread.

I just recently bought a Ranger 518VX with a 200SS on it. Seems to be a solid motor but I have been having a hard time getting the right prop dialed in on it. The previous owner had a 14.25 x 21 Powertech prop on it which is just ok. It has a decent hole shot but tops out around 55 to 56mph and it will hit the rev limiter if you stand on it long enough. I was fortunate to find a Suzuki dealer that let me test out a couple of Suzuki props on it. I tried the 15 x 21 3 blade and it had better top end then the Powertech, able to hit about 59mph but it still would over rev. Next I tried the 14.75 x 23 3 blade and it would almost reach 65 mph and didn't over rev but it had a terrible holeshot. I thought maybe the prop between those two, which is a 15.25 x 22 4 blade would be just right since I have heard that 4 blade props have better hole shots than a 3 blade. Nope, that prop made the 23 pitch look good at getting on plane.

I don't know what the hell to try on it now. I read people saying they are running 27 and 28 pitch props on this motor and it blows my mind. I don't think my boat is that heavy overall, but it does have a lot of weight in the back end, especially with full fuel tanks and livewells. I just know that if I can't get a 23 to plane out well, going up to 27 or 28 doesn't seem like it would even be possible. I would welcome any suggestions. I'll be the first to admit that prop wizardry is not one of my primary skills :)
    You're getting confused because the people running 27+ pitch props had the older gear ratio that allowed them to run such props.

17. Member
    To be complete honest Osprey, you should look to switch to lithiums, or get a CB hydrofoil, or any combination to help your holeshot with the 23. That motor is tuned weird for bass boats. The fact you almost got 65 mph is really good, that's the highest I've ever seen a 200SS on a bass boat (assuming that you did it without tail wind and you had an accurate measurement)

18. Member
    Don't mention hydrofoils, the haters will descend on you like flies on dog poop. I went with the old fashioned "whale tail" on my straight 200, not the SS and a big diameter wheel. It totally transformed my hole shot to fully acceptable, and I get to 60 before hitting the rev limiter on a perfect day. I'm looking for something like a 3 blade 25 pitch with a 16 inch diameter now or getting one of my old 23.5 props reworked and cupped.

Just checked today on the water, I have a 24.5 pitch prop. I will look for a 25 or 26-3 blade large diameter.
    Last edited by billnorman1; 06-05-2021 at 04:46 PM.

19. Member
    Wait, you get a better hole shot with the jackplate all the way up? Seems counter-intuitive to me, but I suppose I could try that.
    I know it sounds weird, but it helps. When I went from a Mercury 225 Pro XS 2 stroke to the 250SS, I had to relearn my boat and everything was the opposite in regards to the jackplate and etc. For whatever reason, my 250SS doesn't like being buried deep in the water the 2 stroke Mercury does. Plus once my engine got more broken in and loosened up, I was able to leave my jackplate alone for the most part and get on pad fairly descent with the livewells full.

20. Member
    Yamaha is the same way. The SHO is a dog with it down but pops right up with it all the way up.
    Fish have fins, they swim

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast