Thumbs Up Jerkbait for wicked shallow smallmouth

Made it up to one of my favorite bodies of water in the lakes region of New Hampshire last month hoping for a killer prespawn bite. Forecast called for 10 mph winds, and that never materialized. Instead we were met by dead calm waters, and smallmouth hanging out in 1-3' of water all day. It took us a few hours to figure them out too as the weather didn't do what it was supposed to do, and they were far shallower than we would have expected them to be with the water still only 50 degrees. We'd have to find isolated patches of rip-rap rock with big boulders in the middle of shallow sand flats, and target the individual big boulders our outter edges of those piles. The ned rig did quite a bit of damage to start the day, but the jerkbait came into play hard later on. We had lots of followers off of those same spots, but to get them to commit to the bite, I'd have to rip the jerkbait back fast & erratic and then kill it for just a few seconds. Anything less vigorous than that, and they didn't care to play. Enjoy!

This is a good example why I keep a jerkbait tied on at all times....they work no matter the weather or cover
    Been fishin' since I was 5 years old...Thanks Grandpa!

3. Member
    I enjoy my jerkbait fishing!

Nice job. I haven't got into any quality small mouth yet this year. I would have had a ned rig tied on after your second fish.
    " Talking to you is like clapping with one hand "
    Anthrax

5. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by avidbasser View Post
    This is a good example why I keep a jerkbait tied on at all times....they work no matter the weather or cover
    I'm beginning to reach that level of confidence in it...

Quote Originally Posted by 250bassFL View Post
    I enjoy my jerkbait fishing!
    I do now! Only took like 8 years to not hate the damn thing.

Quote Originally Posted by TMG View Post
    Nice job. I haven't got into any quality small mouth yet this year. I would have had a ned rig tied on after your second fish.
    lol Travis did tie one on, but had a different color and size than what I was throwing. I kept telling him to switch! This lake was on fire for awhile, Travis was there the other day and did well with a spinnerbait too up shallow, they're still not in the summer pattern yet.

6. Member
    Boy I love my jerkbaits. Had someone told me just 5 years ago that a $25 jerkbait was better catching fish than a $5 I'd told them they were nuts. In fact, I'd told them spending $25 on any freshwater bait was a prime example of "does that catch fish or fisherman". Now I have an entire box of Megabass jerks, and DuoRealis spy baits. That's not saying I don't use everything else out there, from the Academy store brand, to everything else in-between. Rapala has a ripstop that has a VERY good erratic darting action with a little lip on the back that makes it want to turn around and go backwards.

I very seldom spend time on the water, any time of year that I don't have one tied on. Just have to get the wrist used to it.

The problem with jerkbait fishing is getting a comfortable rod. Best one I've got (for now) is an older Skeet Reese jerkbait rod. Fits the hand well and can still palm the Tatula. The one I *really* want to try is the Lews Custom Plus Speed Stick. Shorty handle that seems like a logical, ergonomic solution to what can be an uncomfortable day of fishing. Problem is, I've yet to find a store that has them in stock! That reminds me... I guess I've gotta' break down and order one off the internet.

Here's a review on it from W2F a couple years ago.
    Later,

Dixie Chicken

7. Member
    Jerkbaits are my favorite way to fish. Glad you guys wacked them.

Several rods dedicated to JB. Remember when the rapala came out, they actually rented them!

Hard to beat a $8 XRap for a jerk bait up on the St. Lawrence River. It's more about the indian then the arrow alot with JB fishing.

I have a love hate relationship with them. Truism: It's one of the few baits that will get a six pounder to bite. The list is short.

Truism #2: They are heart break and heart attack all rolled into one. Fish jump them off. Often! Too often! Just when the event is on the line.

ARRRGGHH

The only time I get to truly target smallmouth is Northwest Ontario every fall . While I like jerkbait fishing you would have to be indepenently wealthy to fish $25 baits up there with all of the bait stealing northern pike there. I have gone to a 17lb floro leader which has reduced biteoffs quite a bit without completely killing the action.

12. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by 603bass View Post
    Made it up to one of my favorite bodies of water in the lakes region of New Hampshire last month hoping for a killer prespawn bite. Forecast called for 10 mph winds, and that never materialized. Instead we were met by dead calm waters, and smallmouth hanging out in 1-3' of water all day. It took us a few hours to figure them out too as the weather didn't do what it was supposed to do, and they were far shallower than we would have expected them to be with the water still only 50 degrees. We'd have to find isolated patches of rip-rap rock with big boulders in the middle of shallow sand flats, and target the individual big boulders our outter edges of those piles. The ned rig did quite a bit of damage to start the day, but the jerkbait came into play hard later on. We had lots of followers off of those same spots, but to get them to commit to the bite, I'd have to rip the jerkbait back fast & erratic and then kill it for just a few seconds. Anything less vigorous than that, and they didn't care to play. Enjoy!

Nice! Did you try top water? When they're like that in my lake I fish it's top water all day this time of year. They will come off a bed to eat it.

13. Member
    My favorite is a bomber 14 and 15a. Gold and perch. Had a few tournaments saved by getting out the long a. 6 ft med action ( if you can find one)