Nitro Z20 w/ a 200 2 Stroke

Is anyone running a Nitro Z20 with a 200 2 stroke? There is one for sale and one hell of a price but wonder about getting on plane with a full tourney load.

2. Member
    I had a 2014 Z8 with a 200 2 stroke (just to give you an idea on that size/weight of boat for comparison). Myself, I had no problem with it and I was actually impressed how it performed all around, but I run with a pretty light load when I fish and my wife and I are just over 300#'s combined. The guy I sold it to however; did mention to me a few months after he picked it up that he wasn't real happy about it's performance with 2 guys and a full tourney load. He wasn't getting out the hole like he thought it should or reaching the speeds he expected. I don't tourney fish, so for me it was fine, but if you run with a partner and a lot of gear, you may be disappointed...... Guess it all depends on how you fish, what your expectation of the boat is, and how much performance you're willing to give up for the cost savings....

3. Dogfish_Jones
    If you have the boat loaded down with tackle and you might be a tad big... more than 220 lbs and your have a partner that is as equal to you...yea, you might be slow to get on plane. If you also add some poles or talons that will slow your down also.
    I'm not saying you will swamp the boat but a 200 is getting pretty lean on the HP for a 20' 2" boat.

4. Member
    I wouldn't get a Z20 without a 250, personally. I think you could get by with a 225 but definitely not a 200. It looks like a great deal because the resale isn't as high for the 200's on this outfit.
    2015 Nitro Z-7 175 Pro XS

You just prop it right it won't matter for holeshot. With 2 people full livewells most boats are slower to get on plane. Not gonna be a speed demon though.
    Bryan McDonough
    2023 Nitro Z21 XL
    Nitro Team

6. Member
    I had one and the only difference in it and one with a 250 is top end. Fished bfl's and aba's and never had problems with holeshot.

7. Member
    Underpowered boat, reason its so inexpensive. Z20 has a 250 hp max.
    Phil 4:19 2018 Nitro Z19, 200Pro Xs, Lowrance, Minnkota

8. Member
    I looked into buying a Z20 when i was looking and i will leave out the dealership that told me this, the Z20 with a 200HP they are having problem with that is why they have a 250 on them now.

9. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by steinybass View Post
    I looked into buying a Z20 when i was looking and i will leave out the dealership that told me this, the Z20 with a 200HP they are having problem with that is why they have a 250 on them now.
    ??? I think what he was referring to is his dealership is having a problem selling them with a 200. They've always had 250's on them as an option.
    2015 Nitro Z-7 175 Pro XS

A 200 will beat a 250 on holeshot if you want a good holeshot, it will not ever be as fast. Same block, same displacement extremely similar torque.
    Mercury 250 proxs 2B115089