Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

2001 Bullet 21XD

I am looking at buying a 2001 21XD. I have never had a bullet, but have heard lots of good things about the 21XD. I am looking for some overall reviews of the boat. How is the live well system? Does the boat fish solid? Does the boat handle the rough stuff well? Room to fish two people off the front deck? Battery compartment laid out well to get to things?

Thanks!

2. Member
    In my opinion the live well system works great. All the local tournament weigh in guys make comments about how wild the fish from Bullets are. I am talking 90 models through 2010. not sure on any of the newer rigs. The 21xd is a great fishing platform with TONS of storage. The front deck is a little narrower than a cookie cutter but it is longer from front to back. The 21XD is also 21'10" long so you have plenty of floor space and a large rear fishing platform. The boat handles rough water real well and no issues at all fishing 2 from the front. Even though it is longer the hand laid fiberglass gives it more strength than a chopper gun and with less weight. Less weight also means higher speeds running while being more efficient. Lower fuel bills running and towing.
    The 21XD is a great all around fishing boat. It scores at the top of the list in all categories. Great ride, fishing, storage, speed and when it comes to looks they are just pure SEXY.
    Longer and lighter means more getting blown around in the wind while the trolling motor is down. It also means more responsive to the trolling motor.

***Be prepared to take longer at the gas station before you hit the lake**** You will find out what I am talking about!!
    2005 21XD W/ 2005 MERC 250XS BULLET TOTAL PERFORMANCE BOAT!!

3. Member
    Thanks for the response. I just sold my 920 Phoenix. That was an excellent boat, but I want to take a step back and not spend as much on my next one. Is it easy to get to all the plumbing in the back of the boat on the 21 XD?

4. Member
    I've never owned the 21XD but I've had a 19 Vee, a 21 Vee, and I'm in my third 20XD. I've had cookie cutters in the past and won't ever own anything but a Bullet again.
    And customer service is second to none!

Oh yeah, what Bullet Fan said about the gas station....

5. Member
    As far as plumbing I have only had to get under the gas tank one time in the 3 Bullets I have owned over the past 25 years. I didnt think it was a big deal. I just ran the gas to below a 1/4 tank that way you didnt have to deal with the extra weight.
    2005 21XD W/ 2005 MERC 250XS BULLET TOTAL PERFORMANCE BOAT!!

6. Member
    I have owned a lot of boats in my years and some great model # boats too. My last boat was a 21XDC - 2003. Good enough for me to sell it and order a new one (in process now). Front deck was great for fishing. Very long. Not a wide body, but I never noticed any lean and I am 6'3, 260. Plenty of storage. Little different with the way the lids open on a 21x boat, but you get used to it. Fast and very responsive for a 22' and handle rough water (Toledo Bend and Sam Rayburn) very good. As well as and as dry as my Charger 496, Champion 210 and Basscat Puma. Biggest negative is don't listen to people who don't have a clue. Had a big local pro tell me and my buddy one morning how great the Bullet was until the wind picked up and then he would leave me out of sight in his Skeeter. I was like you might think you are a big deal, but you can call me anytime and we can let them roll. People don't know what they don't know. Bilge access is not their strong point, but it isn't as bad as it seems.

7. Member
    Thanks for the responses! I will report back what I decide after getting in the boat and running it. Thanks again.

First off, welcome aboard! You won’t go wrong with the 21XD. I just got off the lake a little bit ago with storms and a pretty good wind most of the day, except for a couple calm times this morning. It handles better than any boat I’ve ever owned or rode in. Period! I agree completely with the other guys!

2008 BULLET 21XD 2007 Merc 300xs

9. Member
    That's a fantastic hull , you will love it . Only thing I could suggest is check the trailer Real good if it's a Custom line , the Custom line was a very well built trailer ,unfortunately the workers didn't seal the step areas and used razor blades that ended up rusting pretty bad if not addressed .
    The live wells work great no issues there, ride is the best out there. My favorite thing was the texture finish if rods scratch it wipe it with Pledge you will never notice it.
    ​BULLET 21XRS 250 SHO

10. Bullet/Reels4Sale/Rods4Sale Moderator jayfaro's Avatar
    I have an 05 21xdc. Love the boat. Had been in one several times before buying mine. Awesome in rough water. Fish team tournaments very well. The bilge area is a nightmare which is my only gripe. 4 batteries, charger, power pole pump, saddle tanks...it gets crowded back there. I have two prayers every night. One...my wife doesn’t get pregnant again as I’m 48 years old. Two...my in hull transducer doesn’t crap out and I need to replace it.
    Jay Faro
    Bullet 21xdc/300xs

11. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by jayfaro View Post
    ... I have two prayers every night. One...my wife doesn’t get pregnant again as I’m 48 years old. Two...my in hull transducer doesn’t crap out and I need to replace it.
    The ole' snip, snip would eliminate the first predicament... I ain't helping if the second one comes to fruition... Getting them gas tanks out can be very trying at times... Dan

12. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by jayfaro View Post
    I have an 05 21xdc. Love the boat. Had been in one several times before buying mine. Awesome in rough water. Fish team tournaments very well. The bilge area is a nightmare which is my only gripe. 4 batteries, charger, power pole pump, saddle tanks...it gets crowded back there. I have two prayers every night. One...my wife doesn’t get pregnant again as I’m 48 years old. Two...my in hull transducer doesn’t crap out and I need to replace it.
    Yep, I learn a couple new words every time I have to pull the tank.

13. Member
    Thanks for the input!

14. Member
    The bilge are is tight, especially if you run 4 batteries and have power poles etc, but pulling the tank to swap pumps and transducers isn't that bad IMO. I just disconnect the fuel line from the motor and use it to drain the tank into some gas cans. When it's empty you just roll the back of the tank up and towards the front and it pops right out. I can have my tank out in just a few minutes with most of the time being draining the tank and disconnecting everything. My boat is a 20XRD which is supposed to be worse than a 21.

15. Member
    What size fuel tank does the 21xd have?

16. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by banana0721 View Post
    What size fuel tank does the 21xd have?
    Mine was 36 with 2-11 gallon saddles.

The 20’s are a little different concerning the tank and some models, but the 21XD single tank when empty or near is pretty easy to take out. 36 gallon. Run gas out as much as possible and then syphon out the rest. Not a problem.

2008 BULLET 21XD 2007 Merc 300xs

18. Member
    If you ever pull the tank put two ratchet straps around the tank so next time you have handles to pull the tank it will be much easier , my old xd I could have the tank out in 20 minutes after I pumped it dry. It's not bad once you know the procedure .
    ​BULLET 21XRS 250 SHO

I like this pump....GasTapper 12V Gasoline Transfer Pump/Siphon UTV's, Boats, Equipment, Vehicles, Gas, Diesel - USA Built - Must Have Prepper Tool https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00QSPU0NS..._iOu7Eb01KG2NW
    BULLET 20 XRD/250 Merc Sport XS
    www.ncboatguy.com

20. Member
    Got a '99 21xd and I've pulled my tank a few times over the years, not that big a deal to me, if you pump it empty. My only complaint is the fill pump on the livewells. I have problems getting the pump to prime. Pulled the tank and replaced the pump and it didn't help. Tried shortening the line from the transom fitting to the pump and that didn't help either. I can get it going sometimes by backing up, sometimes it won't prime at all. Other than that I've never had any problems with the boat at all. I primarily fish Kentucky lake and it gets pretty rough, love the way it handles and comes off the swells compared to the big heavy sleds.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast