Thread: Wind knots

Wind knots

I am finding it impossible to avoid wind knots with braid on my spinning senko or wacky rigs. Actually not sure if these are technically wind knots but more loops coming off the spool and ending up as knots. I tighten the line on the spool on every cast and keep checking but just can't help some of it winding on a little loose due to the nature of the baits I am fishing.

I am using 10 lb PP- should I go up in lb test or is there something else that I am missing that I should be doing?
    Last edited by johnnybass; 06-17-2020 at 05:19 PM.

2. Member
    My experience as the braid ages you get more wind knots. I usually get 2 seasons out of braid on spinning rods.
    You should know that in bee tending if you don't shut your trap the bees will get out.

Try filling the spool less. Leave more free lip on the spool. This usually helps prevent loose coils from spooling off. The added friction of the line on the spool lip requires the lure to "pull" the line off the spool more.

4. Member
    Flip your bail manually (not by cranking), and lift the rod a bit before turning the reel handle on retrieves to pretension the line.

5. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by bassboat1 View Post
    Flip your bail manually (not by cranking), and lift the rod a bit before turning the reel handle on retrieves to pretension the line.
    This will make the biggest improvement in line management when using a spinning reel, especially the lifting of the rod after manually closing the bail to ensure the first few revolutions of the reel spool are tight.

Above advice is solid. One additional thing I posted about a while back that you may or may not know: When you get a loop on the spool, do NOT try to pull it out by opening the bail. Instead, if you loosen the drag and pull line out against the drag, the loop will pull right out without turning into a knot. It takes a little vigilance in keeping an eye on your spool, but this ensures that loops never become bigger problems down the line. Pun intended.
    2011 Skeeter ZX225
    225 Yamaha HPDI Series 2
    Minn Kota Ultrex 112 52"
    Console: HDS 16 Carbon
    Bow: HDS 12 Carbon, Solix 12 G2, Mega 360

I had a small problem with wind knots when I first started using "braid" (it isn't braided), but it seems to have stopped. I'm not sure if I learned to avoid that, or if I did, how. But I figure that on a baitcaster, thumbing the reel just a bit more before splashdown would help, so I probably extend my index finger downward to put some drag on the line before splashdown. I've been known to do that.
    Don't bother me, I'm screwing for virginity.

I killed a 12-pack just to watch it die.

Quote Originally Posted by Walkabout7781 View Post
    I probably extend my index finger downward to put some drag on the line before splashdown.
    I absolutely and intentionally do this. With a 2500 or 3000 size reel my index finger tip reaches the spool lip. I always feather the coils as they flow off the lip and catch the line against the lip as the lure enters the water. Then I close the bail manually with a flip of the left hand as I reach for the handle. It allows cast control like the thumb on a baitcaster. I don't even think about the motions, I have been doing it for around 45 years.

Quote Originally Posted by pabasshawk View Post
    This will make the biggest improvement in line management when using a spinning reel, especially the lifting of the rod after manually closing the bail to ensure the first few revolutions of the reel spool are tight.
    Agree with this 100% Also fill the spool a tad less

10. Member
    Are you using a flouro leader? If so how long?
    2016 Phoenix 921 ProXP
    2016 Mercury 250 Pro XS

11. Member
    Fish them on a baitcaster. I never throw a senko on spinning gear.

12. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Cooker11 View Post
    Are you using a flouro leader? If so how long?
    Yes, usually about 10 to 15 ft long.

Based on all of the feedback, the couple of things I haven't tried yet are putting less line on the spool and pulling the loop out through the drag

13. Member
    Also if you’re reeling in extremely quick to make another cast, you lose tension as the bait slips across the water. If you feel in with no tension you’ll create wind knots as well.
    1995 Ranger 481v
    1995 Johnson Fast Strike 175hp

Quote Originally Posted by DrewFlu33 View Post
    Above advice is solid. One additional thing I posted about a while back that you may or may not know: When you get a loop on the spool, do NOT try to pull it out by opening the bail. Instead, if you loosen the drag and pull line out against the drag, the loop will pull right out without turning into a knot. It takes a little vigilance in keeping an eye on your spool, but this ensures that loops never become bigger problems down the line. Pun intended.
    Never thought of that, going to try that method next time it happens.