Power or fuel issue?

1996 Mariner Magnum 200 EFI
    Serial # 0G337778 or OG337778 (really faded and hard to tell if it's a zero or the letter O.. Any confirmation would be appreciated)

Back to topic : ran motor several times. One day I run about 300 yards kill it fish and decide to move. The boat was always slow to get on plane.. Maybe 20-30 feet it would start to pick up soeed and plane off and run good. But this particular instance I crank it.. Cranks good.. Sounds normal in nuetral/idle seems normal.. I put in gear.. Wait on a pontoon and then give it gas to go.. Seems slower than normal... I push throttle on and eventually WOT.. It never picks up speed past 6mph.
    That's where I'm at. Also.. I could barely load on trailer.
    Thank you.

2. Member
    Wanted to add... 135 on all 6. (Seems good?)
    What is this Wiseco?. Is the fuel that comes out of bottom left screw supposed to be cloudy? The fuel from twist on fuel filter/seperator is clean when pump bulb.
    Attached Images Attached Images

That should be drained occasionally as water will settle the bottom, drain until it is clear gas, if there is a very large amount of water and it reoccurs every time out, that would indicate a need to drain and dry the fuel tank. A little is to be expected in high humidity areas or the boat is not used frequently
    Inspect plugs and verify spark to all cylinders
    Verify proper battery and test good, also check charging output
    Thank You Leon Pugh

4. Member
    What if I drain and it stays cloudy As I continue to pump bulb.
    Also.. Plugs look good other than number 6. Seemed to be more white and wet.
    How can I check spark on the cylinders? Stator was replaced end of 2011. Can a regulator or both cause my issue?. The wires connecting from stator and regulator look burned/melty.
    Also.. Can ANY parts from a 1995 Mariner Mag 2 EFI be used on my motor?
    Thank you.

5. Member
    WISECO is a piston manufacture, possible water in fuel +clody,timming light can check spark, repair wires and check voltage out put, yes lots of parts are the same
    .................................................. ...the scariest thing in life is the unknown ...................................

6. Member
    Well I let it run and pulled 2 4 6 and motor didn't change. Went to grab 1 and got bolted lol. Chickened out on 3 an 5. Assumed they were hot also. Starboard block stays hot while port stays barely warm. Why would white/wet be on number 6?. Psi about 130-135 on all 6.

How do I get to the seals in bearing carrier in this LU? Doesn't want to twist off.? Do i have to remove coils and power back to also replace DS seals and can this cause an issue on the plug?
    Last edited by JoeBass1986; 06-18-2020 at 04:26 PM.

7. Member
    saying moisture on #6 ????? lower unit has nothing to do with wet 6,do you have spark on ALL 6 cyls or not
    .................................................. ...the scariest thing in life is the unknown ...................................

8. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by JOE54 View Post
    saying moisture on #6 ????? lower unit has nothing to do with wet 6,do you have spark on ALL 6 cyls or not
    ^^^^^^^ This!

And the Coils and SWITCHBOXES have nothing to do with the Driveshaft seals. Bearing carrier does not unscrew (there is a retaining nut that must be removed with the correct WRENCH, after the locking tab(s) are removed from the retainer).

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

9. Member
    I have spark on 1 3 and 5 .. nothing on 2 4 6 port side. and #6 is more wet than others (they are normal)
    the front box is wired to 2 4 and 6. just want to make sure it isn't this before moving to coils /regulators. if it's the stator ill send it off.. do need help with testing. how exactly do i hook up and set up multimeter and what readings i should be getting. ( thank you all. still learning and trying to save some money )

i was wondering about PS and DS seals because there's water getting into the gear lube somewhere. I raised locking tabs and left it alone until i get the wrench. what do i need?. took LU off and checked impeller. it's sealed .. so has to be in the PS or DS. to add it isn't a drop.. it's alot of water.
    Attached Images Attached Images

10. Member
    ohm test between blue and red them blue white and red white with a ll disconnected from boxes the from red to grnd /red white to grnd readings should be very close on each set of test, likely first test will show one side bad (2 4 6 )

11. Member
    any certain readings/#s that I'm looking for? or just close to each other in general. don't have manual so dont know exact OHMs.
    hoping it is outside box causing 2 4 6 to not fire. and not half of my stator.

would it be possible to flip flop boxes to see if the dead side moves to 1 3 5?

12. Member
    sure would be possible more work though