Thread: Flush mount

Flush mount

Purchased trolling motor well from Bullet, would there be a sweet spot to cut the hole in the front deck to avoid hitting
    any kind of beam. Have a 1999 20 xrd. Thanks.

2. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by vinnieg View Post
    Purchased trolling motor well from Bullet, would there be a sweet spot to cut the hole in the front deck to avoid hitting
    any kind of beam. Have a 1999 20 xrd. Thanks.
    I would go under the front deck with a measuring tape and and write down the measurements from the pedestal stem to each brace to the bow panel. Take those measurements, using 1" tape mark each brace . Your pan cut out will start 12"-13" forward of the pedestal hole . Using the template provided that will give you a idea of what you will be cutting .

3. Member
    vinnieg
    I have a 21 xdc that I installed a Trolling motor recess tray in my front deck, when i bought it from Tom at Bullet he told me to make sure not to cut through any front deck support beams, what I done to make sure i didn't cut through one was I remove the front switch plate, and reached back through the hole until I felt the beam, Note: I had to enlarge the switch plate opening enough on the left to allow my arm to side through, then I took a measuring tape and reached back under the deck through the opening to the front edge of the beam measuring the distance to the bottom of the front switch plate opening and recorded the measurement, next I marked the measurement from the bottom of the front switch plate opening to the front edge of the beam on the carpet 1" shorter that the overall measurement. This allowed me to cut the opening for the Trolling motor recess tray in my front deck and not come in contact with the front deck support cross beam. Also I double checked this measurement before cutting by sending my youngest son through the front compartment to hold the tape to the front edge of the support beam. Then you can find the center-line of the front deck to center the Trolling motor recess tray in the front deck by taking a length of fishing line and have someone hold the end of it to the center of the rear seat pedestal hole in the rear deck and take the other end and center it over the front seat pedestal hole by going to the switch plate opening, then take a piece of white chalk and mark over the fishing line on the carpet and you have a center line to lay out and center the recess tray template on. Then drill a 1/2 hole in one corner of the inside of the opening to be cut out and you have a place to start cutting the opening out with a jig saw, also be sure to seal the edges of the plywood with sealer, I used permatex ultra gray or black silicone (you can buy it at Advance auto or Oreilly's or Walmart in the automotive dept) to cover the entire edges of the plywood of the deck. I was going to use fiberglass resin but a boat fiberglass repair shop advised me not to, he said the resin would separate from the wood over time and could allow water to seep in the wood, he said always use a high quality silicone sealant for this.
    Hope this helps you.