Front butt seat post stuck in hole-any tips on freeing it?

Went fishing yesterday and used the front butt seat, which hadn’t been inserted in a while. Now the seat post is stuck in the hole. I’ve used a lot of spray lub and light oil around it. I got it to where it will spin around, but won’t pull up.
    The plastic sleeve is stuck to the post and the sleeve & post are stuck together and turn together.

Any other tricks to try, other than just brute force to pull it out? I’ve got 2 worn-out shoulder joints and arms aren’t very strong anymore.
    AlanW
    2000 Viper Coral 191
    Mercury 200 EFI
    12" Slidemaster
    25" Tempest Plus

2. Member
    I wrapped mine with 7 or 20 wraps of duck tape near the deck. Then I used a big pipe wrench and clamped it on and gave a little turn so the jaws grabbed hold. Then I used a 2x4 and a long bar and pried it up. It takes a while but they do come out. Before you reinstall it sand the base of the post a little to make it a smidgen smaller.

3. Member
    on Lake Hartwell in Westminster, SC 29693
    I have removed the base to work with it on the bech, dunno igf you can get your pedestal base out..?

here's another idea; but I'd use 2 jacks

4. Member
    I don’t know if the base is removable, it is just a hole flush with the deck. Maybe if I peeled back the carpet around it, but I’d really like to not have to do that. The jack under the seat won’t work because the butt seat just pops right off the post, and the post is a smooth straight cylinder all up & down- nothing for anything to get a grip.
    Jon’s idea might work if I can get something to grip the post hard enough.
    ecoast-I’ve got a really good friend who lives on Honeysuckle Lane in Milford,
    AlanW
    2000 Viper Coral 191
    Mercury 200 EFI
    12" Slidemaster
    25" Tempest Plus

5. Member
    I used an oil filter strap wrench to turn it while a friend or wife pulls up on it. After you get it out see if you can get your hands on a cylinder hone and shave a little of the insert.

6. Member
    I have the same problem. Does anyone know the normal release method to release the front pedestal seat shaft on a 97' cobra 201d ?

7. Member
    I used a car jack to pop it free then wiggled it out.

Pipe wrench and someone pulling up while you turn. Clean the insert well and I put a little gun oil on the pedestal from time to time. The real issue is after some wear, the pedestal goes too far into the bushing and binds up with the top edge of the bushing and the flare on the pedestal seat meets. Just be careful when pulling upward, when it lets go it comes up fast. Really poor design and was surprized my friend's 2019 Ranger was using the same system.

I used a pipe wrench on mine as well. Lots of masking tape around the jaws and a rag around the pedestal to prevent scratches.

Tom

10. Member
    I just bought a 97 Coral F&S and had the same problem on rear seat. I put a choker around post and used a high lift jack just like removing a fence post. I then used an emory cloth sanding flap disc on a drill to smooth up the plastic hole insert and honed it out a little.