Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Banned

Vessel View Link update through MFD

With one of the latest Lowrance updates came the ability to update the vessel view link through the MFD via the nema network. I downloaded the update to the sim in the mfd, hit the upgrade button and it stated it was unable to communicate with the vessel view. Ideas?

VVl software is at 61 something and the update is 63 something. Lowrance is a 20.0.

Did you update over storage, pointed the fil and then update VVL. Not over network - VVL - update ?

3. Banned
    Downloaded to sim in mfd. opened file in storage. Says to upgrade VVL, then unable to communicate. Think I’ll try a clean sim with only the update file this evening and see.

4. Member
    I might have noticed a place to update when fiddling round in the network devices list last weekend... Maybe?
    2011 Tracker PT 175 TF
    2011 Merc 60 ELPT 4S

5. Banned
    Clean sim with only the update didn't work. It tries "states remote update", but ends up stating that it can't communicate with the link. Sent a message to Lowrance to see if they can be helpful.

6. Member
    When I did my update to Vessel View Link I had to have my key powered to the on position. If I don't have the key powered to the on position I cannot access any of the Vessel View Features on my Lowrance screen.
    CAYMAS1

7. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by CAYMAS1 View Post
    When I did my update to Vessel View Link I had to have my key powered to the on position. If I don't have the key powered to the on position I cannot access any of the Vessel View Features on my Lowrance screen.
    It won't even populate on the screen until approximately 15 seconds after the key is on. It acts like everything is ready and good, but no dice.

8. Member
    My suggestion,: download the update from Merc site onto an SD card, and use the old update procedure (insert card in VVL). That will get you through this, I would imagine.

See Page 136 and on of this document --> https://samerwebapp01apncus01.azuree...tors-guide.pdf
    2016 Ranger 1850 LS Reata / Merc 150 4s / SmartCraft / Lowrance HDS Carbon SS3D

Had to update mine through the vesselview.

10. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by bloodman View Post
    Had to update mine through the vesselview.
    +1... This is my recommendation. And make sure that your SD card is formatted FAT-32 before you place the update file on it.

Note: Some are experiencing problems with communication after updates (recently)- see the FAQ- Smartcraft section for information.

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

Had to update mine through the vesselview too. Not gonna work over MFD. Had SD 4gb. formatted FAT-32.

12. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by wittenborn View Post
    Had to update mine through the vesselview too. Not gonna work over MFD. Had SD 4gb. formatted FAT-32.
    kind of disappointing, because that was supposed to be addressed in the latest Lowrance update. (Supposedly)

13. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by bshort View Post
    kind of disappointing, because that was supposed to be addressed in the latest Lowrance update. (Supposedly)
    My gut says once you get the VVL up to the latest level, it will be addressed for future updates.
    2016 Ranger 1850 LS Reata / Merc 150 4s / SmartCraft / Lowrance HDS Carbon SS3D

14. Banned
    Put the FAT32 formatted sd card in the VVL and nada. Now says "make sure you have the correct update." This is the update that I have - VVL20.063.1.291.

Found an earlier update (19) thinking maybe it would take. Nope. Everything with the VV works fine, just figured I'd keep up with the updates.
    Last edited by bshort; 06-19-2020 at 06:12 PM.

15. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by EuropeanAM View Post
    +1... This is my recommendation. And make sure that your SD card is formatted FAT-32 before you place the update file on it.

Note: Some are experiencing problems with communication after updates (recently)- see the FAQ- Smartcraft section for information.
    Had already changed that to "no." All the instrumentation from the VVL is coming across, just will not accept the update remotely or through the VVL itself. Confirmed FAT32, update is all that's on there and still nothing.

16. Banned
    **Update** Ok, check out this nonsense. The original software was version 18, so I figured maybe 19 would help bridge the gap between 18 and 20. 19 wouldn't load and kept giving me the same error message about checking that the update was correct when it would reach about 15%. I happened to look in the device list and saw that it was actually now running 19, even after the error messages. Threw 20 back in there and it took. I'm now updated. Doesn't make any sense to me, but hopefully we will see smoother sailing with updates in the future.

17. Member
    Mine failed to update over the network, had to resort to physically put the card into the VVL. Even more unfortunate is the fact that the update did not resolve the issue I have been having. Ever since updating my Carbon to 20.0 I have been unable to engage Troll Control from the Lowrance, just a warning message stating that the helm needs to be active. Anyone else having issues with Troll Control?

P. S. My setting in the network devices configuration was set to "auto" and I was not experiencing the communication error but switched the setting to "no", when I saw Dons post a week or two ago.
    Last edited by R2Tracker; 06-20-2020 at 05:54 AM.
    2011 Tracker PT 175 TF
    2011 Merc 60 ELPT 4S

R2Tracker
    Same issue by me. No troll Control. The problem came with the 20. SW to the Lowrance. When i downgrade the SW to 19.1 in my Lowrance. There is no problem with the Troll Control. I think the issue is the SW from Lowrance :-(

19. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by R2Tracker View Post
    Mine failed to update over the network, had to resort to physically put the card into the VVL. Even more unfortunate is the fact that the update did not resolve the issue I have been having. Ever since updating my Carbon to 20.0 I have been unable to engage Troll Control from the Lowrance, just a warning message stating that the helm needs to be active. Anyone else having issues with Troll Control?

P. S. My setting in the network devices configuration was set to "auto" and I was not experiencing the communication error but switched the setting to "no", when I saw Dons post a week or two ago.
    I haven't used troll control in awhile and certainly not after the update to 20. One of the earlier updates made troll control not work as well, but the next update made everything work as it should. I recall that it would try to engage and then kick out with an error message. Maybe Lowrance will get things squared away....

20. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by bshort View Post
    I haven't used troll control in awhile and certainly not after the update to 20. One of the earlier updates made troll control not work as well, but the next update made everything work as it should. I recall that it would try to engage and then kick out with an error message. Maybe Lowrance will get things squared away....
    Yes, I had the engage then kick out, with a "communication error" message when using one or two of the software rev's just prior to 19.1. When I had updated to 19.1 Troll Control worked better than it ever had since I installed the Vessel View Link. Now with 20.0, it wont even allow me to engage Troll Control, the Lowrance has a message where you would touch to enable it stating the helm must be active. It would be nice if Lowrance could get it figured out, as Troll Control was a major factor in my decision to purchase the Vessel View Link.
    2011 Tracker PT 175 TF
    2011 Merc 60 ELPT 4S

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast