Buying a used boat with a budget question

This is maybe more of a poll but curious if you had established a budget for your boat acquisition, would you prefer to buy an older but bigger boat/engine with more options (better electronics, etc) or a newer boat (but still out of warranty than is not as big and maybe has less options....assuming that you’ve been able to establish that said boats have been equally well cared for, great condition, etc.?

2. Member
    Definitely not an expert here but here is my thought process. One might think bigger is better but that may depend on the waters you intend to fish. Will the bigger boat launch okay at lakes you plan to fish. Assuming yes, it comes down to how each boat is rigged. If prices are compatible, will it cost you more in the long run to get the newer, smaller boat decked out the way you want? Is adding options a possibility? On the other side of the coin, are the additional options on the bigger boat useful to you? Finally, how many hours on the motor of the bigger boat? Are you buying trouble by buying bigger but older?

3. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by mrjrtykr View Post
    Definitely not an expert here but here is my thought process. One might think bigger is better but that may depend on the waters you intend to fish. Will the bigger boat launch okay at lakes you plan to fish. Assuming yes, it comes down to how each boat is rigged. If prices are compatible, will it cost you more in the long run to get the newer, smaller boat decked out the way you want? Is adding options a possibility? On the other side of the coin, are the additional options on the bigger boat useful to you? Finally, how many hours on the motor of the bigger boat? Are you buying trouble by buying bigger but older?
    Thanks. All great questions to think about. Waters I fish can get rough, especially late Fall and late Winter. One of my reasons for a bigger boat would to be able to the kids out and and have room for 3-4. I once had a fish/ski and I did fine with it fishing and actually the big windshield certainly was nice in late November when the air temp is high 20s or low 30s. Ultimately though it was pretty tight in Summer with the family. This and managing rough water is what has me looking at 20 foot boats.

4. Member
    I agree with the other poster. It's a tough call based on what you've said. I was going through a similar dilemma and Ive decided older boat, but the length and motor I want to have, with extras, if possible. If you want a certain size boat/motor and the newer isnt giving you what you really want than I would go older so your getting the overall specs you want in a boat. I sold my last boat with no electronics or any add-ons, becuase I wanted to keep them for my next boat. but like I told the buyer, electronics and all the other fancy stuff can always be added afterwards, I'd rather have the boat I want now and add the rest later. So, if your ok with smaller, really want newer, don't mind adding things later and can afford it, then go newer. if you want more of a deal, in terms of a boat with optional accessories, which gives you more of what you ideally want upfront, and it's the specs your looking for, then go with older.
    Wishin I Was Fishin...

Here is another thing to think about is storing the boat in the colder months. I love having a bigger boat but storing it sucks

6. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Bassmada View Post
    I agree with the other poster. It's a tough call based on what you've said. I was going through a similar dilemma and Ive decided older boat, but the length and motor I want to have, with extras, if possible. If you want a certain size boat/motor and the newer isnt giving you what you really want than I would go older so your getting the overall specs you want in a boat. I sold my last boat with no electronics or any add-ons, becuase I wanted to keep them for my next boat. but like I told the buyer, electronics and all the other fancy stuff can always be added afterwards, I'd rather have the boat I want now and add the rest later. So, if your ok with smaller, really want newer, don't mind adding things later and can afford it, then go newer. if you want more of a deal, in terms of a boat with optional accessories, which gives you more of what you ideally want upfront, and it's the specs your looking for, then go with older.
    In my budget range ($10-15k with $10 preferred) I just wonder if there is really much difference between a 2002 boat and a 2005 boat. They are boats really old and as I have seen it said, it’s more about how well the boat had been maintained rather than 5 years difference in age. I think it’s just like people, above 40 years ago does it matter if she is 45 or 50 if she is in good shape when the majority are not??? Lol.