Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
  1. Member
    So far I’ve ran tons of wire and ready for batteries to install along with charger. Changed out and updated the passenger side amenities to newer versions including the oh sh_t handle, cup holder and Rodbuckle strap. Installed new horn and nav light along with fuel switch valve. Restored the bow panel trim and the passenger rod holder - 4 coats each after tedious prep. Fought like hell today 2 hours and 45 minutes trying to get a hold of Ranger for new switches. Found out that a lot of their older parts come from a place in White Bluff TN. Just been getting tedious stuff done on the boat. Not doing a complete restore, just updating the boat to my liking and taking care of neglected things. I’ll keep posting progress.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    “By failing to prepare, you are preparing to fail
    Ben Franklin

2000 Ranger 518vx Comanche

2. Member
    Looks good. Do you have the name of the place that has the switches or is that just where Ranger gets them from?
    2000 Ranger 518vx - 2019 Mercury Pro xs 200

3. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by cmbtvet View Post
    Looks good. Do you have the name of the place that has the switches or is that just where Ranger gets them from?
    Team C&O Marine in White Bluff TN.
    Ben Franklin

Quote Originally Posted by JohnnyMustang View Post
    So far I’ve ran tons of wire and ready for batteries to install along with charger. Changed out and updated the passenger side amenities to newer versions including the oh sh_t handle, cup holder and Rodbuckle strap. Installed new horn and nav light along with fuel switch valve. Restored the bow panel trim and the passenger rod holder - 4 coats each after tedious prep. Fought like hell today 2 hours and 45 minutes trying to get a hold of Ranger for new switches. Found out that a lot of their older parts come from a place in White Bluff TN. Just been getting tedious stuff done on the boat. Not doing a complete restore, just updating the boat to my liking and taking care of neglected things. I’ll keep posting progress.
    Those pieces look GREAT !! What paint did you use and where did you find it ?
    Ranger Boats / Mercury Motors
    G Loomis Rods / Shimano Reels
    Raymarine / MinnKota Ultrex
    Garmin / Live Scope Plus
    Pepper Jigs / Robo Worms
    Troll Bridge / V-T2 Vents

5. Member
    SEM paint products. Listed in the pics below. Ordered off amazon. I used the vinyl glue to patch several rips which works extremely well. After it dries it becomes hardest part to tear. Then I just followed the directions starting with the abrasive soap, then on to the prep spray until clean, and then 4 coats of Ranger Black which is the actual color name of the paint. All marine grade. The longest part of the process is the glue. It’s pretty easy. Just take your time. Do even covering light coats for the first two, then heavier on the third and heaviest on the fourth. I didn’t have any runs, stayed with a smooth stroke about 6-8 inches away. This paint also does plastics. Get a dishes scuff pad, you’ll need it for the SEM soap.
    Ben Franklin

6. Member
    good stuff so far johnny looks great.

7. Member
    Got the bow completely finished. Ultrex installed with all new 6awg wire run, new MK receptacle and troll tamer. Refurbished the vinyl trim. New horn and nav light socket - rewired. New mount for Helix and all wiring run and waterproofed, including wiring for our Rigid driving hyperspot light that goes on the ram mount to the side. Just need to sweep and clean up front but the work is done on that end thank god lol.
    Last edited by JohnnyMustang; 07-10-2020 at 01:11 AM.
    Ben Franklin

8. Member
    When we first got it.
    Ben Franklin

9. Member
    That's looking good!

Where did you get the horn/light socket? I found it on Amazon for $70ish and just haven't talked myself into buying it yet. I need to put new rubber matting on my bow since it's got several holes visible from the old trolling motor mount.

10. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by cmbtvet View Post
    That's looking good!

Where did you get the horn/light socket? I found it on Amazon for $70ish and just haven't talked myself into buying it yet. I need to put new rubber matting on my bow since it's got several holes visible from the old trolling motor mount.
    I believe we also got it on Amazon. Brand Aqua something. It didn’t come with the connector so I had to crimp and shrink the connections.
    Ben Franklin

11. Member
    We got a few things done tonight. New cranking/accessories battery installed (Odyssey 2150), all battery switches and breakers mounted, remote oil tank cleaned and mounted in a battery box, installed trolling motor batteries and breaker (2 x Vmax XTR31-135ah), reconditioned and painted the battery compartment middle mounting boards for the charger, managed to remove the two epoxied puck transducers (PIA), and reconditioned and painted the disgusting battery compartment lid. Also mounted the passenger side rod holder I painted last time. I didn’t really take any previous pics of the battery compartment area but it was a complete cluster f back there with things just hanging loose and mismanaged. At least now it’s clean and organized. I will probably redo the older connector ends for peace of mind. All of mine are crimped tight, dielectric greased, and heat shrinked. I use dielectric grease on all connections and battery terminals and I never end up with any corrosion. That stuff will save you time and money down the road. Got lots more to do tomorrow. Here’s just a few pics. You can see how filthy the oil tank was. Guy had a funnel back there but it’s like he threw the oil at the hole lol.
    Ben Franklin

12. Member
    Where did you get the silver wire grommet on the bow?
    Justin B.

13. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by jbankston View Post
    Where did you get the silver wire grommet on the bow?
    Amazon. I had to get a little creative with the Dremel because the Ultrex and Helix Mega DI wire ends are so big they wouldn’t fit through. So I hollowed it out in the center a bit until they would. Nice and even. No big deal. This grommet comes in stainless steel too.
    Ben Franklin

14. Member
    After install, I sealed the hollow part with clear silicone.
    Ben Franklin

15. Member
    Fitted the Ashmore panel and gatorskinned the console area. Updated the broken fuel valve switch. Waiting on switches to come in. Got the battery compartments wire managed and MK 345pc charger installed but no pics.
    Ben Franklin

16. Member

Looking good!

17. Member
    Just one pic to show. Been doing a lot of wire work and updating all connectors due to wire tip corrosion. Got all the switches now working, just waiting for the new ones to arrive. All back compartment is updated and good to go. Rodbuckle straps have been installed one each side of front deck. Installed a USB port with voltage reading. Replaced all stock fuses as nearly 3/4 of them were blown!!!! Wanted to choke previous owner lol. Nice to watch boat come alive. Rewired and got Nav lights working as well as new horn. Got all bow switches working great. Got both transducers installed. Took off the back battery compartment lid and cleaned, prepped, and painted it as it was horrible looking. Before and after photo below. Putting in Rigid lights next and painting windshield. New locker latches coming this week.
    Last edited by JohnnyMustang; 07-19-2020 at 10:22 PM.
    Ben Franklin

18. New England Forum Moderator twitch's Avatar
    Your doing a great job on this boat and your Improvements and upgrades.
    1990 374V Ranger Still kickin' bass after all these years

19. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by twitch View Post
    Your doing a great job on this boat and your Improvements and upgrades.
    Thanks. It’s been tough. I get off work and usually finish one small thing a night. My brother comes over and helps usually on Saturday and Sunday. We’ve spent much of our time correcting crap from the previous owner(s). Just so much was neglected. It won’t be the most good looking boat but it will be functional and reliable.....hopefully lol.
    Ben Franklin

20. Member
    Started on windshield paint job. From before, to prep, to filler primer, to metallic black 4 coats, to triple glaze clear 5 coats. Next the middle to a sparkling sliver either tomorrow night or day after.
    Ben Franklin

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast