Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Upgrading....Is the juice worth the squeeze?

We have an awesome Cougar 27 SAB with all the bells and whistles. Half ton towable / Two AC's / Auto Leveling / Power Awning / Slide....

This camper does everything we need, but it's a little small and my daughter has to sleep in the pullout in the living room.

Every time we go camping we are eyeballing 5th wheels.

Buying a 5th wheel isn't the issue......Having a 2500 / 3500 as a daily driver is.

Anyone upgrade and regret it? How bad is it driving a 2500 daily. I put on +/- 20,000 miles a year.
    Bass Cat Caracal STS / Mercury 300 ProXS
    Jayco Northpoint 377 RLBH
    GMC Denali Ultimate DRW
    #ChargeOn #HereWeGo

2. Banned
    I had a 3/4 ton and downgraded to a 1/2. (Trailer is only 6k). 3/4 ton empty rides like trash. There’s no way I’d want to use an empty 3/4 as a daily driver.

3. Electrical/Wiring/Trolling Motors Moderator CatFan's Avatar
    Believe it or not, an F150 can be configured to haul an 11,500lb 5th wheel pretty easily. 3.5 Ecoboost with the max tow package and the thing is a beast.

But IMO, the easier way is to have a different vehicle for a daily driver and use your truck when you need a truck. It's cheaper in the long run unless you get a Mercedes or Porsche for your daily driver.
    If you have integrity, nothing else matters. If you don't have integrity,
    nothing else matters.​

4. Member
    Had a F 150 and pulled a 28' travel trailer, bunkhouse with no slides. Older. Sold it and purchased a 5th wheel Grand Design 32' with 3 slides. Love the room. Bought a 2019 F 350 4dr short box. Wish I would have purchased a long 8' box. Truck rides very well. Several trips to Texas to daughter in the military without towing. Rides nice.
    Due to covid have not traveled much. Wife just retired and then covid. Worried about the length of the trailer when we travel out west to some of the National Parks and other areas. Loved my truck with a cap to put stuff in the back and kayaks on the top. Cannot do that with a 5th wheel.
    Now any guests have to sleep on the pull out sofa. Do that often when we camp north on our property. We(myself included) have slept in tents with the grandkids. Young adults sleep in tents also.

Keep what you have if it works and do the tent thing or pull out sofa. We spend 90 percent of our time outdoors anyway.
    dvl2700

5. Member
    I upgraded to 2019 GMC HD2500 Duramax Denali from a 2016 GMC Sierra 1500. My HD rides every bit as good as my 1500 did. AS a matter if fact I had rather travel in the 2500 than our Cadillac XT5. Duramax is also my daily driver and there is no comparison pulling my 34' Rockwood travel trailer.

6. Member
    I decided to get the silverado 3500 SRW duramax for our 5th wheel. The gross vehicle weight is about 12,000 lbs. If we ever want a bigger camper then I won't need to get another truck. So far no real issues being a daily driver however being retiredI can pick and choose where and when want to go somewhere. Good luck on your decision.

7. Winter can end now..... BoatBuggy's Avatar
    I bought an F350 SRW diesel with an 8' bed to tow a fifth wheel and it's also my daily driver. When the truck is towing something or riding empty on smooth roads, the ride is great. When it's not towing or the roads are rough, the ride can rattle the teeth a bit. I leave the hitch in and am thinking of adding sandbags on both side of the wheel wells to smooth out the unloaded. Other than that, zero issues for me using it as a daily driver.
    2013 Ranger Z520c, 2013 Yamaha 250 SHO
    2018 Ranger RT198p, 2013 Mercury 150 Optimax

8. Member
    As others have stated the ride is pretty stiff in a 250/350 while unloaded. With my 5th wheel attached it almost glides. I use mine as a daily driver and have no issues at all. I am a truck guy, always been a truck guy, so driving a larger truck now (2019 F250) puts a smile on my face each time I get in it. My wife also enjoys riding in it, she loves the view as compared to her Subaru Outback. If you stay with a smaller 5th wheel I think you may be happy with a F150 3.5 with max tow, that is a beast of an engine. My only concern would be having enough truck to control the trailer while emergency breaking or in super windy conditions. If you regularly camp within an hour or so from home then that may well be a great setup for you. Remember, safe towing isn’t about pulling the trailer, its about controlling the trailer.

Jeff Clark
    Bassman469

Quote Originally Posted by Bassman469 View Post
    As others have stated the ride is pretty stiff in a 250/350 while unloaded. With my 5th wheel attached it almost glides. I use mine as a daily driver and have no issues at all. I am a truck guy, always been a truck guy, so driving a larger truck now (2019 F250) puts a smile on my face each time I get in it. My wife also enjoys riding in it, she loves the view as compared to her Subaru Outback. If you stay with a smaller 5th wheel I think you may be happy with a F150 3.5 with max tow, that is a beast of an engine. My only concern would be having enough truck to control the trailer while emergency breaking or in super windy conditions. If you regularly camp within an hour or so from home then that may well be a great setup for you. Remember, safe towing isn’t about pulling the trailer, its about controlling the trailer.
    Agreed - I would go with a 250 / 2500 at a minimum. I don't want to pull a 5th wheel with a 1/2 ton truck, or should I say try to stop a 5th wheel
    GMC Denali Ultimate DRW
    #ChargeOn #HereWeGo

10. Winter can end now..... BoatBuggy's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Bill2e View Post
    should I say try to stop a 5th wheel
    Not sure if you are considering a diesel or not but the engine brakes on the diesel have come in very handy on several occasions when trying to stop quickly with 43' of trailer behind me.
    2013 Ranger Z520c, 2013 Yamaha 250 SHO
    2018 Ranger RT198p, 2013 Mercury 150 Optimax

11. Member
    My 2018 Duramax rides every bit as good as my 2014 1500 did and does everything else so much better

This is the very reason I bought a Titan XD. I know some people don’t like them and say they’ve had problems. I’ve had 2 and no issues yet. Plus they have a 100,000 mile bumper to bumper warranty. The one I have right now is a gas burner 4x4 and can tow almost 12k and has a payload of 2000lbs. But it can tow that easy. The Ford F-150 with the max tow package can tow more and I don’t know what the payload is, but it scares a lot of people when you’re towing and stopping something heavy. I don’t get all bent out of shape like some guys do talking about what truck to buy. Everyone has a certain need and the XD filled that need. I say all of that to say the ride is a little more harsh than a 1/2 ton but it’s a whole lot softer than a 3/4 ton. And the main reason I bought it was the factory 100k bumper to bumper warranty. Warranty means the world to me. I couldn’t handle a $10,000 diesel motor bill. That would break me.

13. Member
    I’ve had 5 campers, the last 2 were 5th wheels. I’ve been camper less for a few years and still running my F250 6.0. My next set up will be a 1/2 ton towable 5th wheel and an F150 3.5.
    2018 Ranger RT188 Custom Jet
    150/105 Evinrude ETEC Jet

14. Member
    I had a couple of F350’s. A 93 single rear wheel and an 02 dually. Both were 4 door and long bed. Both rode bad until I adjusted my tire pressure. Bring your tire pressure way down when empty. Get a rear axle weight and then adjust your tire pressures to match the weight.

when you load up/ hitch up just bring the air pressure back up.
    currently boatless

15. Member
    I just bought a 2020 F250 diesel two days ago to pull our 12,000 lb. fifth wheel. Came out of a 2014 F250 6.2. This one drives like a dream with the new 10 speed transmission. Taking it to the Rockies soon, I'll try and let you all know how it goes.

Quote Originally Posted by DLane View Post
    I just bought a 2020 F250 diesel two days ago to pull our 12,000 lb. fifth wheel. Came out of a 2014 F250 6.2. This one drives like a dream with the new 10 speed transmission. Taking it to the Rockies soon, I'll try and let you all know how it goes.
    GMC Denali Ultimate DRW
    #ChargeOn #HereWeGo

17. Member
    Purchased a Ford F-350 with the expectation of getting a 5th wheel. Had a bunkhouse and sold that when I bought a 5th wheel. The 5th wheel tows like a dream. My problem is I like to throw kayaks on top of the truck, bikes in the back, etc. Tow the boat which is not an issue, but could sleep in the back of the truck with the cap on it if there was no 5th wheel hitch in the back for weekend fishing trips.
    Much has to to with preferences, regular trailer vs 5th wheel.
    Drive my F-350 Superduty most days to work, or when wife is using the Honda Accord. Have taken it on many long trips to Texas and it is more comfortable than the Accord. Rides very well. Can get 18 -19 mpg if I am careful.

Quote Originally Posted by bshort View Post
    I had a 3/4 ton and downgraded to a 1/2. (Trailer is only 6k). 3/4 ton empty rides like trash. There’s no way I’d want to use an empty 3/4 as a daily driver.
    I'll disagree on that point. I've driven and ridden in a couple newer GMC 2500s and I thought they rode great. Maybe slightly firmer than my 1500 but not all harsh.
    Bruce
    2019 20 TRX Patriot
    Mercury 250 ProXS Fourstroke
    HDS 12 Live - Console
    HDS 9 Live - Bow

19. Member
    Had 2 different F-250 Powerstrokes, drove them pretty much everyday for 12 years until we traded the 5th wheel for a motor home and couldn't tow it behind the coach. Broke my heart to trade the F-250. Loved driving it, and as stated above could get 18 mpg if I kept my foot out of it. It was great in Houston where the vehicle size tended to discourage aggressive drivers from trying to get in my space.

I have had my 2500 for the last ten years as my daily driver. Pulled everything that I ever hooked it to and used it for countless long mileage trips as well with nothing hooked to it. I love my 2500 and I could not picture going back to a 1500. Good luck with your decision.
    Craig
    USMC Retired
    2019 Nitro Z18 w/Dual Consoles
    2019 Mercury 175 Pro XS

Psalm 29:3 The voice of the Lord is upon the waters: the God of glory thundereth: the Lord is upon many waters.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast