2003 TR-20 leak question!

I have a 2003 Triton TR-20. Has anyone ever had the rub rail leak back around the pontoons? I need to take it off completely around there and re-silicone everything. Just curious if anyone ever had a similar issue? The silicone is gone around the bottom of the rub rail. I’m 90% sure that when I get on plane or come off plane the torque is pulling some water in. It’s not a ton but it’s enough. There are no cracks at all in the transom and it’s a composite transom. Anyone ever had or heard of something like this? I’m told it’s very common.
    Last edited by RickyBrodeur; 06-15-2020 at 11:03 PM.

Remove the rub rail and check if there is any separation between the top cap and hull. I seal most stuff with 3M 4200. Also a good time to remove the screws one at a time and add some 3M 4200 before running them back in to prevent them from working their way out.
    2006 Triton TR-21 XD, Mercury 225 Pro XS, S/N 1B287870

3. Member
    Yes, screws also work loose over time.
    Lightning 6
    2007 TR-196DC

Check the rub rail area between the fuel filler cap and were it ends in the back. Fuel that overflows will collect on the rub rail and break down the silicone they used!
    Dan Burnette - Marietta, GA
    Triton 18TRX - 200 HO G2

5. Member
    Thanks guys!!! I always tighten the screws once a year but I’ve never replaced the silicone and it’s all gone under the rub rail. Appreciate making me feel a little better! I just completely redid the boat and has a new powerhead. I was panicking a little lol

6. Member
    I have the same boat but haven’t had a leak. I haven’t thought about the screws in the rubrail. How do you get to the screws to check them? Does the center rubber stripping pull out easily and push back in?

7. Member
    Yeah it easily comes out

8. Member