Helix 12 Mega SI G2N dark side imaging

Over the last 2-3 trips I’ve noticed that I’m losing detail on my Helix 12 MSI G2N when using mega side imaging. I’ve also had to increase sensitivity and decrease contrast just to get an image, but the image that I’m getting is nowhere near as good as it was before this started. I’ve tried resetting to default and verified all connections are tight.
    I have a tournament this weekend and I’m really dependent on side imaging this time of year. I’m considering ordering a new transducer, but I don’t want to start throwing parts at it if that’s not the problem. I had read here on the forum that transducers were more likely to fail than the Helix itself, but with that being said I did just get my new Helix 10 back from Humminbird with a new circuit board under warranty. Problem is, my Helix 12 is not in warranty anymore.
    Anyone have any ideas? I’ll attach a picture with settings.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Jeff73; 06-15-2020 at 07:18 PM.

2. Banned
    mine does that when I am shallow...Also I was told to run it in demo mod and see how ot works in demo mode.

3. Member
    Mine gets real dark and I have to crank the sensitivity in certain depths and bottom comps. If it's like that everywhere you might try adjusting your chirp range for mega and 455 to see what you get. If adjusting your chirp and running 455 still gives you a dark return I'd say a problem with the unit.
    If it gives you a solid return again, keep a close eye on it because it could be going out. When my ducer went out the mega si image was the first thing to start going.

4. Member
    This year I have thought the MSI on my HELIX 10 G2N wasn't as clear as last year, but just chalked it up to being paranoid, well that was until the weekend before last. The scans didn't seem to pick up features I had seen before and then the next day one side if the SI was really dark. After reading the forum I put the unit into demo and the demo looked normal. So I installed a new transducer last week and this past weekend everything looked good again.
    2019 Ranger 212LS with a 2019 Mercury 250 ProXS 4-Stroke
    Humminbird HELIX 10 MSI and HELIX 10 Chirp (side by side at the console)
    Humminbird HELIX 10 MDI+ and HELIX 10 Chirp (stacked at the bow)
    Minn Kota Ultrex 112lb with Humminbird MEGA 360
    Dual Minn Kota 12' Talon with R&R Design
    Extended Emergency Ladder

5. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by gary_fritz View Post
    This year I have thought the MSI on my HELIX 10 G2N wasn't as clear as last year, but just chalked it up to being paranoid, well that was until the weekend before last. The scans didn't seem to pick up features I had seen before and then the next day one side if the SI was really dark. After reading the forum I put the unit into demo and the demo looked normal. So I installed a new transducer last week and this past weekend everything looked good again.
    Try a different Pallet color, I don't ever use #3.

6. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by cards21 View Post
    Try a different Pallet color, I don't ever use #3.
    umm, I didn't have it on 3 and the pallet color wasn't the problem, it was the transducer...

7. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by gary_fritz View Post
    umm, I didn't have it on 3 and the pallet color wasn't the problem, it was the transducer...
    my, bad. Didn't mean to quote you. That was for the OP.

8. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by cards21 View Post
    my, bad. Didn't mean to quote you. That was for the OP.
    got it

9. Member
    I’ve tried most all the color palettes but I’m thinking there’s a problem brewing for me between the transducer or the unit. For the sake of comparison I put the G2N SI on standby and tried the mega 360 on my bow unit. This is virtually the same stretch of water, but notice the difference in detail between the Mega 360 from the bow and the Mega SI from my console unit.
    Attached Images Attached Images

10. Member
    If you are networked you could try putting the M360 into SI and compare readings from both transducers on the console unit, would have to switch between transducers in the settings. If the transom transducer is noticeably different like above then it's the transducer.

You could also try putting the console unit into demo mode and see how it displays. If it still displays dark and featureless then it's the unit, if it displays the demo playback normally then it's the transducer.

11. Member
    I'd say it's transducer time. These things don't last long

12. Member
    I put it in demo yesterday afternoon after my original post, the demo mode is like what I had before this started. I can also mirror the mega 360 from the bow on this unit in question and it’s perfect. I’m thinking you’re right, it’s probably time for a new transducer.

13. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeff73 View Post
    I put it in demo yesterday afternoon after my original post, the demo mode is like what I had before this started. I can also mirror the mega 360 from the bow on this unit in question and it’s perfect. I’m thinking you’re right, it’s probably time for a new transducer.
    yep, transducer.

14. Member
    I'm wondering if running these out of the water like we do still pinging is what's causing them to not last long or if it's just the design.

15. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Wackyjig View Post
    I'm wondering if running these out of the water like we do still pinging is what's causing them to not last long or if it's just the design.
    I started turning mine off.. I am wondering if the Texas Heat has anything to do with it.

16. Member
    I have no idea what would have caused mine to fail. My boat stays in a conditioned garage unless I’m on the lake so I don’t think heat is a factor for me. There’s not a single scratch or ding on my transducer and it’s really well protected because it’s mounted inside the step. I’m sure it gets a lot of torque placed on it though just from contact with the water when planing off and turning. Darn things are expensive at $349 so I wish they’d last a bit longer. I’ve seen them for around $250 new on Ebay so I’ll probably just lean on the Mega 360 for a few weeks until one comes up for sale at a good price on EBay.

17. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeff73 View Post
    I have no idea what would have caused mine to fail. My boat stays in a conditioned garage unless I’m on the lake so I don’t think heat is a factor for me. There’s not a single scratch or ding on my transducer and it’s really well protected because it’s mounted inside the step. I’m sure it gets a lot of torque placed on it though just from contact with the water when planing off and turning. Darn things are expensive at $349 so I wish they’d last a bit longer. I’ve seen them for around $250 new on Ebay so I’ll probably just lean on the Mega 360 for a few weeks until one comes up for sale at a good price on EBay.
    Problem with eBay is its a crapshoot, and you may just end up buying someone else's failed transducer. I'd check with some of the sponsors on here, I bet you could get one for $300.

At class we were advised that the newer mega imaging transducers, and especially the mega+ transducers, have relatively short life expectancies. According to the instructor, the imaging elements in them are approximately the diameter of mechanical pencil lead, and the more energy you push through them, the shorter lifespan they have. He said, generally speaking, to not be surprised if they need replacement at the 3 or 4 year mark. Mine have just started their third season on my G2 units, and so far, so good, but I'll be keeping a close eye on them next year, and budgeting for a pair of new ones.

18. Banned
    for me I hit a rock with it... Thy don't like that..