Old Sabre Plowing

I just got done restoring an 89 Sabre, took it out yesterday for the first time on the water. 1992 150XR6 (premix), 6" Bobs, 23 Tempest. Launched, started, good stream from the telltale, idled out to deeper water (maybe 5 mins), lowered the plate a bit (maybe 2 1/2 on the gauge), trimmed all the way down, throttled down and it did not want to get up on plane, felt like I had waaaaay to much prop or wasn't trimmed down, but I was. After maybe 100 yards it started to come up a little, not much bow lift at all maybe at 3000RPM. Finally got up, picked up some speed and then got an overheat. Shut it down, let it cool and tried it again after 15 minutes, same thing. I was able to idle around the next couple hours with no overheat. I'm going to start with a new water pump, I was told by the guy I bought it from it had a fresh pump, probably should have changed it anyway. Stats are new.

Does this sound like a motor problem (for the plowing, I know the overheat is) or a prop problem? Or something else. Motor runs fine on the muffs, no overheat at all. Thing is, I just had this motor dynoed, was told it read 3300lbs at 5000RPM which was good, compression is 125,125,125,125,123,123. The guy that did it is a very reputable local guy.

Boat was light, just me and 10 gals of premix in each tank (and just a couple of rods and lures). I was really just trying to get it out to get a baseline of what I was working with. Goes without saying that it was a bust.

I guess why I'm posting here is that I've got to think the 23 Tempest is the right prop. I'm in IL so not an altitude thing. I'm trying to figure out everything I can before I get it out next time because it's over an hour to get me on the water.

2. Member
    Does it have a tempest or tempest plus with pvs holes? Also what is your ptp with the gauge on 2.5? Just because the gauge reads 2.5 doesn't mean your are not super deep or shallow (don't think you were shallow though). Also are you sure that it is going full throttle?

3. Member
    That's a carb motor isn't it they might need to be rebuilt if they have had any unleaded fuel ran through them the alcohol eats up the plastic parts inside and all the old fuel lines should be replaced.

4. Member
    It's a Tempest plus, right now it has large plugs in it. I took a closer look at the prop today and even though there's no stamp I've got a feeling its been worked on, the base of each blade looks like the one in this pic. I'm not sure what the gauge to height translates to, I've got to do some measuring. I'm going to change the water pump and poppet, check it on the muffs to make sure I'm getting some pressure, take out the plugs and give it another shot. I've also got a 23 hi 5 that I picked up as a spare so I'll probably give that a spin also, I didn't bring it on Sunday.

Everything on the boat is new including all of the fuel lines from Mercury, I stripped it down to the hull so pretty sure it's not that. Carbs were cleaned when I bought the motor last year.

w2.jpg

tempest.jpg

5. Member
    While you are working on it double check it's getting full throttle. It's not uncommon for the linkage to be out of adjustment since it was removed.

6. Member
    I see you live about 20 minutes or so from where my daughter is living . The high 5 prop you have should have a great hole shot as that is what there designed for . I would run that prop next time you go out . If it jumps out of 5he hole with the H 5. Then the tempest is out of wack . If it slow with the H5 to then your having eng problems . The 23 tempest should be a good all around prop for that set up . One thing about a tempest they don’t like to be buried deep below pad . I don’t know what 2.5 means on a bobs plate but 3” 3.5” below the pad to the center of the prop shaft everything level is where you should be starting at with the tempest. Good luck .

7. Member
    I'll double check the throttle but I'm pretty sure it's adjusted correctly based on the dyno results.

I'm pretty familiar with hi 5's, I actually have the 23 I picked up for this boat and a 25 that I used on the P2 I just sole, great props. I should have brought at least one of them to swap out when I tested it. I actually haven't run a 3 blade in a while so I may have had it too deep. I used to spend a fair amount of time down at the River King (I think that's what it was called) pits down around New Athens when we would go down to visit my ex's folks who lived in Belleville. Caught some big fish out of there 20 years or so ago.

8. Member
    Yep I live about 15 -20 minutes south or so from new Athens . Daughter is living in Schaumburg going to college . Looking at your saber looks like you put a lot of hard work into that boat looks great �� . Restoring a bassboat would be something I would enjoy doing but just don’t have the room to do it right .