Champion 206 prop recommendation

I have a 2003 Champion 206 with a 2003 Yamaha Vmax 250 3.1L outboard. I'm getting older and don't really care so much anymore about speed as I do about handling and comfort but I do fish tournaments still so don't want to drop any lower on speed

Original prop which came with motor was Yamaha 25M. After reports of that prop slinging blades I bought a Yamaha 25T1, loved that prop and could run 72 but scared me when boat started walking so I lowered the motor down about a 1/2" and settled in high 60's. Tried 27T1 but killed the holeshot but good on top end.

25T1 eventually slung a blade. So I bought a used Solas Scorpion 25 off of here but never as happy with that prop as I was the 25T1 but I can cruise around 62 consistently tournament loaded, was around 66 before it got dinged up. It just never seemed to have the control that the T1 had.

Of course I have upgraded all 3 batteries to 31 series over the years and added a pair of power poles.

My prop is getting a little beat up and thinking about replacing with new since I never was thrilled with prop I have

Seems Tempest Plus 25 is always recommended for Champions but the smaller diameter makes me wonder

Should I get the tempest 25? Or the fury? Or a 4 blade? Will the 25T1 SHO prop go on this motor?
    Charles Prue - Linthicum Heights, MD
    2003 Champion 206 Elite - 250 VMax

2. Born on th Llano Estacado Tx Champ's Avatar
    M & T1 refer only to the OD of the exhaust tube which is 4.75" for those 2 props, nothing to do with the blades. There may be a slight difference in the diameter between the two. The series should also be on the side. VMAX which is vented or VMAX SHO which is not vented, so running a SHO prop on a 2 stroke would probably affect your hole shot. They also show a Performance XT and a Pro Series for bass boats.

Yamaha props are in chapter 6 of this PDF with the M & T guide starting on 6-24.
    https://www.njoutboards.com/fckimage...s-Brochure.pdf

Here's an attachment in one of yam911's posts in the Yammie forum.
    http://www.bbcboards.net/attachment....4&d=1565094446

3. Member
    That's extremely confusing. From what I see they dont make the vmax 25T1 anymore. I think the only Mark's on my other prop are 25M but I might be wrong

4. Banned
    The M series was replaced with the T1 series, the T1’s were known for throwing blades. They were replaced with the T2, which some have claimed that they don’t have the same performance as the T1’s had.

If you decide to sale that 25M, it will sell fast, desired props.

5. Born on th Llano Estacado Tx Champ's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Spidergrub View Post
    That's extremely confusing. From what I see they dont make the vmax 25T1 anymore. I think the only Mark's on my other prop are 25M but I might be wrong
    See if it doesn't have the series between 2 of the blades. Of course, you could get a Tempest or Fury with a Yammie hub kit.

6. Member
    That looks exactly like the 25T1 that is outside my back door in my flowerbed as decoration

7. Member
    I just went and looked at the other prop in my boat, has a square box near the outside end of the prop with 25-M in it. This is the prop that was on the boat when I purchased it new in 2003. The only other marks on this prop is the number 4634 stamped into the side of the prop on the motor end of the prop, maybe from repair done to the prop years ago, not sure if that was there when new or not but it doesn't look factory. Nothing on the prop says Yamaha or Vmax

8. Member
    Spidergrub i got same rig as yourself 2003 206 with 2005 250xs running 24 Trophy Plus worked by mark Croxton. Handling with 4 blade is superb in my case its been a great prop for my rig. I dont have any power poles added.
    Last edited by crankman; 06-27-2020 at 02:33 PM.

9. Member
    I just don't really think that I want to go 4 blade, have never had issues with holeshot or running with a 3 blade prop. I'm sure the 4 blade would be better in the really rough stuff but at my age I try to stay out of that stuff nowadays.

I went through the prop selector on the Yamaha site and looked at all of the recommended props. I have decided on 3 possibilities

Put my spare Yamaha 25m prop on the boat, has been worked but never ran afterwards, and use the Scorpion Solas as a spare
    Purchase a Mercury Tempest Plus 25 and hub kit
    Purchase a Yamaha Performance XT 25

I just can't find anything online about the Yamaha Performance XT prop. Does anybody have one that could give me some feedback.

10. Member
    With recommendation from Mike on the Props board I have a new prop. Put a Mercury Bravo 1 XS 26P on the boat with two solid PVS plugs.

With two big men in the boat and over 1/2 tank of fuel. Jumped up on plane at 4000 RPM, trim her up fast because that big 4 blade wants to move through the mid range in a hurry. Topped out in this hot weather at 68.2 MPH, 17.5 PSI, 6000 RPM. Prop controls great and will hold plane at 2400 RPM. I'm gonna love this prop.

Motor is at 3.5" under pad, will raise her up another 1/4" before next trip out.

11. Banned
    A 26 Bravo @ 6k rpms? That must be a stout motor!

12. Member
    I thought this motor topped out at 5500