Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
  1. BBC SPONSOR/ Shallow Water Anchors Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by Hooked247 View Post
    Curiosity on the Power Pole expired patent. Patent expired this year, Minn Kota didn't come up with the "Raptor" overnight. Then Power Pole is to release a trolling motor . . . Is this going to be a new "relationship / partnership?"
    Never!

2. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by kandkkustomzhydrographics View Post
    Never!
    I vote for you and I surely hope not myself.

3. Member
    If MK has the feature that has it re search for the bottom, like their Talon does, then that would be a major plus. Tired of having to keep hitting the down button in waves.

4. Member
    Rapturd

What, too soon?

We'll see, but often attempts to unseat a long established king are futile.
    Kevin | 2000 Champion 19​1 | 2000 Yamaha OX66 200hp

5. BBC SPONSOR/ Shallow Water Anchors Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by 1bluemcm View Post
    Rapturd

What, too soon?

We'll see, but often attempts to unseat a long established king are futile.

6. Member
    I am sure MinnKota realized that the Talon is a piece of crap so they developed a copy of a Power Pole. No doubt they are going to sell it cheaper and all the Humminbird, MinnKota pros are going to tout it. Complete bullshit that they cannot come up with their own design.

7. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by STRETCH1 View Post
    I am sure MinnKota realized that the Talon is a piece of crap so they developed a copy of a Power Pole. No doubt they are going to sell it cheaper and all the Humminbird, MinnKota pros are going to tout it. Complete bullshit that they cannot come up with their own design.
    They did come up with their own design..the Talons. There is probably only limited methods to implement shallow water anchors and Talons and PowerPoles are probably the most feasible. I like the depth Talons can provide (upto 15 feet) versus what PP can but like the smaller PowerPole form factor.

8. Member
    WOW I must be lucky, I've have 3 different sets of Talons, the original 8 footers and then the gen2 10 footers on my old Skeeter, I currently have the new Bluetooth 8 footers on my Basscat and never had an issue with any of them.

I work at a boat dealer and we definitely sell more Power Poles then Talons, but I also sell hydraulic lines on a weekly basis for the Power Poles and have to hear guys gripping cuz they have to clean hydraulic fluid out of their bilge, so they are not perfect.

I'm looking forward to see the price points of the new anchors. I hope they are cheaper then what's currently offered or have an improved design of the pump, healthy competition is good as are alternatives. It would definitely suck if there was only one bass boat company available or car company.
    Last edited by BassCatBrad; 06-24-2020 at 08:27 PM.
    Brad Krone

I love the talons...can't tell you how many times my buddies say "man i wish PP went that deep". I can set in 10-11 feet, pole down and fish a spot w/o have to hit anchor on the ghost. Don't get me wrong the ghost is awesome but its not like poling down and NOT moving an inch to fish a brush pile or one spot that ONLY has one cast that will get you bit. I'm not sure why some say they are crap...never had an issue, and I can remove them if needed pretty fast.
    2008 Triton Tr21Xhp / Merc 250pro XS
    St Croix /Abu Garcia
    Go Navy

10. Member
    I like the Talon. My 10ft Talon sits about the same height as my motor so it is out of the way for my partner. Being electric I have mine on a separate switch/relay so I can turn it off without accidentally deploying it. I have had Talons on 2 boats over the last four years and never had a problem.
    Both PP and Talons have their pros and cons and I like there are options out there since everyone has their own reasons for what they buy.
    2018 Skeeter ZX250
    2018 Yamaha 250 SHO

11. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by cdevette View Post
    I love the talons...can't tell you how many times my buddies say "man i wish PP went that deep". I can set in 10-11 feet, pole down and fish a spot w/o have to hit anchor on the ghost. Don't get me wrong the ghost is awesome but its not like poling down and NOT moving an inch to fish a brush pile or one spot that ONLY has one cast that will get you bit. I'm not sure why some say they are crap...never had an issue, and I can remove them if needed pretty fast.
    I prefer the Talon depth over the Power Pole and if they weren't so heavy I'd probably have two Talons. I had a single 15 foot Talon but didn't like the spin it caused and 2 are too heavy for my 19ft Tracker. The weight of a single Talon is equal to the weight of 2 Power Poles, so I went with Poles. I do think the Power Poles and their bracketry look better IMO.

12. BBC SPONSOR/ Shallow Water Anchors Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by BassCatBrad View Post
    WOW I must be lucky, I've have 3 different sets of Talons, the original 8 footers and then the gen2 10 footers on my old Skeeter, I currently have the new Bluetooth 8 footers on my Basscat and never had an issue with any of them.

I work at a boat dealer and we definitely sell more Power Poles then Talons, but I also sell hydraulic lines on a weekly basis for the Power Poles and have to hear guys gripping cuz they have to clean hydraulic fluid out of their bilge, so they are not perfect.

I'm looking forward to see the price points of the new anchors. I hope they are cheaper then what's currently offered or have an improved design of the pump, healthy competition is good as are alternatives. It would definitely suck if there was only one bass boat company available or car company.
    wow thats funny think we have had maybe 4 customers call in 6 years w failed tubing (of course 1.0's) just refer them to power Pole customer service and every set has been free along w fluid. Have yet to hear of one failure ever on the 2.0 hoses since released in 2017.

13. Banned
    I feel like this is a welded hull vs riveted.....when airplanes are welded I’ll think about a welded boat....same goes for hydraulics...when they’re become electric I’ll think about it.

14. RIP Evinrude 1907-2020 JR19's Avatar
    I installed the original style 8 ft Talons on my boat in 2014. I have had zero issues and have been pleased with their performance. I have been on a boat with Power Poles and from a performance stand point they do the exact same job (anchor you in shallow water). Now there is pros and cons to both brands. I could list negative as well as positive things about both brands so in the end it just comes down to personal choice. I would not frown away from Power Pole but I also would not hesitate to install another set of Talons.

As for the Minn Kota Raptor time will tell if its a good or bad product. Once it hits the market and paying customers start giving it reviews it will be interesting to see what they have to say. I have zero interest in what a pro staff member, sponsored pro or salesman has to say. I always only use reviews from people who have no interest to gain.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12