Fiberglass repair on bottom of 201

I got hung up on a stump last Thursday and damaged the bottom of my boat. I was on the trolling motor, did not have the big motor running. Trolling motor prop barely hit the stump, did not even damage the prop but the boat came to a complete stop almost immediately. It seemed to be pivoting right in front of the drivers console. We tried rocking it from side to side to get it off with no luck. We move all the way back to the back deck trying to get as much weight off the front as possible. Finally had to crank the outboard and back it off.
    Never saw the stump before we hit it and could not see it after we got the boat off. We were just going from tree to tree crappie fishing when this happened.

There are two damaged spots. Both about 2" wide one about a foot long and the other about 6" long in direct line with each other with about 1 foot between them. the gel coat is cracked but not missing except for two dime sized spot that are down to exposed fiberglass. One of those two spots is almost under the carpeted bunk on the trailer, so it may be bigger that what I can see.

My question is how do fibergalss repair shops go about fixing these? Do they have to remove the motor and then lift the boat with a sling of some sort? Do they have to turn the boat upside down?

I want this fixed RIGHT by a professional. Just wondering how they go about it.

Also, any recommendations for a shop in the Dallas/Fork/East Texas area that does pro level work like this?

Wayne

Classic Fiberglass, Denton Texas area.

3. Member
    Thanks, Chief, I will give them a call.

Waye

4. Born on th Llano Estacado Tx Champ's Avatar
    Classic moved to Sanger 2-3 years ago. Chris' guys do good work. They'll lift the boat off the trailer and work from underneath.

5. Member
    Left my boat with Chris at Classic Fiberglass yesterday. He will get it inspected and let me know if I need to get my Insurance Company involved. I have a $1000 deductible policy, so most of it is going to come out of my pocket, I expect. I am also having him install a Hamby Keel Guard while it is there.

Wayne

6. Member
    $4400 damage! OUCH!! Insurance adjuster is working with Chris on the claim.

I don't know how on earth there could be this much damage at the speed we were going, or even how we got hung up in the first place. I would have thought the deep v design would have slid off the stump before it damaged it like this. We were in 25-26 FOW.

Wayne

7. Born on th Llano Estacado Tx Champ's Avatar
    Doesn't take much ... I've got $500 deductible

8. Member
    If it isn't too late you might look into a Gorilla hull with a lifetime guarantee.