Thread: Oneida

Oneida

Anyone have any reports? It's handed me my butt most of this spring and I'm starting think it's me not the fishery.

4 Week Ago: Was up for three days, water was 48-52. Didn't locate much bait and only caught 10 keepers, nothing to write home about. Fished fairly deep most of the trip (10-20ft)

2 Weeks Ago: Was up for a weekend, water was 70-74. Found scattered spawners, think I averaged 4 keepers a day, nothing big.

This Weekend: Was up for four days, water 67-71. Couldn't find fish shallow, found some in 10-14 on rocky bottom, but again four days and probably averaged 3-4 keepers a day, largest went 3 lb 9 oz.

Just really struggling, putting in 8-12 hours on the water from 5:30 on each of these days. The place has me scratching my head something fierce right now. Yesterday I spent 4 plus hours fishing a drop shot out on the shackleton shoals and pulled one small fish. That seems crazy. Also haven't caught one largemouth all year up there. Any of you guys have any thoughts?

2. Member
    Oneida's walleye and bass population go hand in hand opposite IMHO. So right now with the NYS DEC saying that the walleye population is at a all time high of over 1 million walleyes I would think the bass population might be hurting. Only so much forage in any lake to sustain the larger predators. I would switch lakes if you were me. Of course this is only my educated guess at best.

3. Member
    You’re not the only one struggling. I was there 3 weeks ago out of south shore and water temps were anywhere from 58-60. At Lockport and messenger shoals. Fished for 3 hrs before the wind got to be too much for me and my wife, but in that time frame she caught 1 smallie and I caught a walleye; I also lost 2 other fish. It’s the first time I’ve ever been skunked on Oneida. I think I was just fishing the wrong areas.
    1995 Ranger 481v
    1995 Johnson Fast Strike 175hp

4. Member
    With the quick weather temps going from 90 to 50 at nite then back to 60 for highs.. and nites back to the 40s ..
    fronts and winds .. got to be challenging ...but the walleye bite is crazy ...

Mercury Pro Team

2017 Triton 20 TRX Patriot
    250 Opti Max Pro XS
    Twin 8' Power Pole Blades
    2 Solix 12 gen 3 , with mega 360

5. Member
    This weekend coming up will be the first time in years for me. And I only ever fished it in September. Now you got me worried.
    2020 Vexus AVX 1880
    Evinrude E-Tec 135 HO
    Ultrex
    Lowrance

6. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by zaprod71 View Post
    This weekend coming up will be the first time in years for me. And I only ever fished it in September. Now you got me worried.
    I think you’re coming into what might be a great weekend. Good consistent weather coming up with no cold fronts until after next weekend. My trips aligned with a cold front every damn time. This last trip Wednesday evening I go there and fished and it was 91, Saturday morning it was 45. No good for any bites.

7. Member
    We were up there the last week of May and caught them pretty good. The lake was fishing extremely tough though. Almost everything we caught was a quality fish. Not sure if the walleye are affecting the smaller population or not.

8. Member
    Best advice I can give is to keep moving until you find them. However the mayflys hatched this past week and it was a mess earlier in the week and sometimes that'll make the fishing tough.

9. Banned
    Oneida fishing any better lately?

10. Member
    It was tough this past weekend. We got some in the river. It seems every place we went there was nothing but pickerel. The lake was covered with dead mayflies and little skeletons of tiny minnows (??). We got 14 keepers in 2 and a 1/2 days, the biggest was maybe 1 1/2 lbs.
    2020 Vexus AVX 1880
    Evinrude E-Tec 135 HO
    Ultrex
    Lowrance

I live 10 minutes from the South Shore launch, we were out on Sunday, on the water at 6am, fished shallow, moved out to a few points, fished two different shoals, finally fishing a lily pad infested bay. Not a single bass, didn't see anyone in the same area with a fish. My partner caught a drum, I had a large pickerel and a large perch. We have a tournament scheduled for this Sunday, undecided if I'm going to participate...….
    1989 Champion 184 DCR / 1989 Evinrude 150XP

12. Member
    Was out last Friday .. couple dinks .. 1.5 Sm .. went deep. Same white bass and drum.. water at 78..deg

Mercury Pro Team

250 Opti Max Pro XS

13. Member
    Im headed up there from the 15th through the 22nd with the family and haven't been there in years. We cancelled our trip to Canada due to the COVID crap and the border issues. Can anyone throw a few pointers my way? I know the rock shoals, the edges of the weed lines, flipping pockets, and areas with grass blown up on shore usually produce but the kids are still a little impatient and I don't want to see them get disappointed. I heard the walleye fishing right now was fantastic and may need to throw the rod holders in the boat in case we need to do some trolling with worm rigs or cranks/sticks if its that bad. Otherwise I may need to pull the boat and head over to Otisco, Owasco, or Cayuga. Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Jim

14. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by 89basscat View Post
    Im headed up there from the 15th through the 22nd with the family and haven't been there in years. We cancelled our trip to Canada due to the COVID crap and the border issues. Can anyone throw a few pointers my way? I know the rock shoals, the edges of the weed lines, flipping pockets, and areas with grass blown up on shore usually produce but the kids are still a little impatient and I don't want to see them get disappointed. I heard the walleye fishing right now was fantastic and may need to throw the rod holders in the boat in case we need to do some trolling with worm rigs or cranks/sticks if its that bad. Otherwise I may need to pull the boat and head over to Otisco, Owasco, or Cayuga. Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Jim
    Hey Jim hands down if I had the kids id be dragging and casting worm harnesses.yoy don't need rod holders since you'll get a ton of bites and the kids will love casting them. The best are made by my neighbor and called the "hammer rig". Just put enough weight with a split shot or casting sinker infront of it and either drift with the wind or cast if it's calm. The kids will catch walleye, bass, tons of pickerel, giant sunnies and perch. I would take them out as close to dusk or dawn as you can. This is the best way to walleye fish right now but produces tons of bites from every species in the lake and kids love it they can pick out their favorite color harnesses and go at it. This is one of the best years I've seen and I've lived on the lake my entire life

15. Member
    is the bass fishing picking up at all? I am heading up this weekend, I haven't been there is several years.

16. Member
    Water over 80 deg...

Mercury Pro Team

250 Opti Max Pro XS

17. Member
    any updates on the fishing ,good,bad,ugly,heading up this weekend just curious what to expect

18. BBC SPONSOR/ Shallow Water Anchors Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by ammot23 View Post
    any updates on the fishing ,good,bad,ugly,heading up this weekend just curious what to expect
    fishing pretty tough from what I hear. 24 boat tournament yesterday.. 16 pounds won it, 15 pounds second then dropped from there only took 8 pounds to be in like 6th or 7th.