Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Bass fishing hasn't been good.

So far this year I have been to Stonewall Jackson, Summersville, and 3 times to East Lynn since that's the closest lake to me. Every time I haven't caught anymore than a couple 10-12" largemouth, one 15" smallmouth on Summersville and a 37" Muskie at Stonewall Jackson, and I wasn't even Muskie fishing. I'll fish 7-8 hours and only get 3-4 bites. Has anyone done good this year? I don't know what it is about WV but it has to be the most difficult state in the country to Bass fish in and it seems to be going downhill from what it already was. I can go up North or down South and have great days Bass fishing. I can't remember the last time I had a good day of bass fishing in WV, in fact the only time I have really done that great is wade fishing for smallmouth in the New and Greenbrier rivers.

I haven’t got to hit Stonewall yet, but you’re right about WV. First off, we’re not even considered a LM bass fishery. Really only smallmouth. I’ve always said WV is tough for largemouth. It dang sure makes ya fish hard. There are some big ones here, but you have to be on your “A” game. Other States IMO, are a lot easier to catch’em.

2008 BULLET 21XD 2007 Merc 300xs

3. Member
    I know what you're saying, went to Burnsville last week and out of 6 hours only managed to catch 3 6" to 8" spots and 2 bluegill, worst day i've ever had on that lake.

I’m getting ready to hit a couple lakes probably this week. Waiting to get off midnights. Been changing out bearings on the trailer before I go in to work. But I sure am ready!!

5. Member
    Good luck, let us know if they were biting.

our lakes have been beat to death this year. so many people off work. I've seen more older boats this year than ever. parking lots full. people fishing ive never seen before. I was hoping no tournaments would be a good thing but sure doesn't look that way. until our dnr changes their mindset on bass its going to continue to be a downward spiral!

8. Member
    A bass restocking effort would go a long ways in helping our fisheries. All the DNR is worried about is trout and muskies. Its a shame that we have to drive 4-5 hours north or south to catch decent size bass.
    "Montani semper liberi"

Stocking doesn't work so they say

chick just got that good without stocking!

Well guys, today sucked. Between storms with winds and stained water, I got three like this. Several people hit it all day. I found one half way decent cove with lillies in 5’ of water and 10-12’ near by. Tied on a frog and that was the ticket. The sun popped out just enough in the afternoon to feel like a scorcher, then back to storms.

that's a dandy!!

its got a little gut and some blood on the tail interesting

12. Member
    What lake you on? that's a nice one.

Quote Originally Posted by wvbassmaster View Post
    that's a dandy!!

its got a little gut and some blood on the tail interesting
    That’s what I thought. Looked like it was getting ready to lay, but they’ve been done for a month.

Quote Originally Posted by Dave A View Post
    What lake you on? that's a nice one.
    Not a monster by any means, but I was glad to catch it. Elk Fork.

15. Member
    Never been to Elk Fork but I see it has a 10hp limit, I could take my jon boat there if I ever get done with it. Has anyone fished Plum Orchard or Stephens lake close to Beckley? I don't hear much about those two.

Not Stephen’s, have heard some catch a few in Plum Orchard. RD Bailey has some nice spots! That’d be a good one for ya.

17. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by WVBullet View Post
    Not Stephen’s, have heard some catch a few in Plum Orchard. RD Bailey has some nice spots! That’d be a good one for ya.
    I have never been to RD Bailey is it worth the drive? I live right across the river from Huntington so it would take me the same amount of time to get there as it does Summersville, Burnsville, or Stonewall Jackson.

Quote Originally Posted by bassfisher444 View Post
    I have never been to RD Bailey is it worth the drive? I live right across the river from Huntington so it would take me the same amount of time to get there as it does Summersville, Burnsville, or Stonewall Jackson.
    If it’d take you the same amount, then go to the other ones. Burnsville is a nice crankin lake, Summerville is a decent night lake and Stonewall is my favorite of any in the State.

20. Member
    We're upstream from Indiana so that means we are good right LOL? I put my boat on the river for the first time a few days ago and I didn't catch a thing, and I only saw fish on my graphs once or twice.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast