Trying to decide between boats - any experience or suggestions appreciated!

Looking at 2 different deals that seem to be good prices assuming everything works:

2005 BassCat Pantera with a 200 Merc - single axle trailer= $9,500

1999 Ranger 519 DVS. 225 Evinrude with Ficht but says never any issues, tandem trailer = $7,500 but says it’s gonna need a new wiring harness which he says is a $1,100 repair. Even with that seems like a great deal.

leaning to the Ranger as I prefer the dual console for wife to be and/daughter.

Any experience, thoughts, suggestion appreciated!

All i can say is just make sure you get them checked out by a mechanic. The biggest thing to replace on a boat is the motor do your home work ask on the Evinrude and Merc forums. Good luck

3. Member
    Thanks, also, the Evinrude has a new lower unit. Both engines said to be in good shape. Not sure why a boat would need a new wiring harness?

4. Member
    Check the transom on the ranger. They were fiberglass but there were problems with a few of them. Ranger fixed mine. I had the same boat with a mercury. Fast and stable little boat.

Ask on Ranger and Bass Cat forums what to look for the people on this site are very informative and helpful.

"225 Evinrude with Ficht but says never any issues" .... "Thanks, also, the Evinrude has a new lower unit."

Sounds like it had some kind of issue, just be sure to get it checked out good.

7. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Coke View Post
    "225 Evinrude with Ficht but says never any issues" .... "Thanks, also, the Evinrude has a new lower unit."

Sounds like it had some kind of issue, just be sure to get it checked out good.
    I should have said no issues due to the Ficht injection. I think my main concerns at this point would be resale value impact.

8. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by bkeenom View Post
    Check the transom on the ranger. They were fiberglass but there were problems with a few of them. Ranger fixed mine. I had the same boat with a mercury. Fast and stable little boat.
    How long did it take for the problem to appear and how did you tell?

Basscat all the way. Solid transom and apparently no issues. The bad wiring harness most likely from either critters chewing or owners chopping AND a ficht motor = NO WAY for my money. Parts for a ficht can be hard to find and costly if you can.

USN Retired
    2020 Basscat Caracal
    2020 Mercury 225 ProXS 4s

10. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by mheichelbech View Post
    How long did it take for the problem to appear and how did you tell?
    It came apart when the boat was 15 years old. We could raise the motor up and put downward pressure on it to see if the transom is flexing

Both are great boats! at the age of them I would purchase the boat that has the best compression on the motor or best report from a qualified tech because it will cost you another 15g+ if you have to repower. or if you don't mind having to re-power pick the one that makes you the most happy because they are both spectacular boats.

Mike Beachy 2020 TRX 21 250 Pro XS 4S

12. Member
    I'd stay away from the Ficht just from the problems that I have seen with them. Not saying any one motor is perfect, and like stated above, the motor is the biggest thing to replace/fix