How do people keep up with all the new electronics.

Wow it just amazes me on all the new grafs that keep coming out and the cost is getting so high. I really like what Garmin has with the panoptic’s/live scope. I’ve seen some really neat videos of them crappie fish lol. I run HDS gen3’s and like them, I run the 3D transducer & box, side scan is good down scan has never been that good. The new bird stuff look great too!! I got all my stuff from RMP in Kansas very nice people to deal with he would evan take my HDS gear in on trade if I want to upgrade. Part of me what’s to get a couple new live units because I finally know how to run lowance pretty good. Heck probably be something new and special coming out this fall so what ever someone gets now will be old news soon just like my iPhone:-)

What brands are all you guys running in the Iowa/Nebraska area?

P.S looks like you can unload a 21ft bass boat in Viking now if you don’t mind backing over some rock and not have a dock. I’ll be trying soon my self!!

I’ve been rocking an HDS GEN 2 Touch unit at the bow and console each since 2015 or so and added an additional Gen 2 touch a couple of months ago at the console with an LSS2 transducer. That is good enough for me. Panoptix and 360 imaging are all wants but I’m a long ways from pulling the trigger on something like that. Maybe when I buy a new boat.

I did just buy an ultrex from RMP. Tough to beat their prices. I got it installed a couple of days ago and tested it out. I have to say that I’m very impressed with everything about it even before using the anchor feature. It’s quiet and very responsive with the steering.

I have been using an old motorguide tour edition (which is a great motor) since 2011. Last Wednesday, I fished a little jackpot tournament (which I won!) with 21 boats. I was one of five boats that didn’t have some sort of spot lock capable trolling motor. It’s like I was living in the dark ages!

3. Member
    Oh yes I love my ultrex best thing I ever bought for my boat. I got mine from RMP as well few years ago. I think there business has really grown since they added garmin. Man look how many companies jumped into the trolling motor game now. They don’t seem to be getting any cheaper either.

4. Member
    On average, Des Moines/central Iowa is windier than Chicago so an Ultrex is a must for me. I run two Helix 12 SI/DI, and recently installed Livescope on a perspective mount with a 93sv. That's in addition to 10' Blades.

5. Member
    That’s awesome. What do you think of the livescope? Do you think is make is easier to locate bass?

6. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Redog View Post
    That’s awesome. What do you think of the livescope? Do you think is make is easier to locate bass?
    I spend a lot of time watching that damn screen. It allows me to fish more efficiently, but also waste time watching the action. If I pan fished, I could make hay pretty quick. Crappies are super easy to find. Now, catching them might be a different story. LS is amazing for dropshotting, which I don't do a lot. However, I did find a school of short LM on a deep ledge and messed with them for a while. It was crazy to see the 1/4 weight get hit 3X's more than the bait. Scanning logs, brush piles and stumps is pretty wild.

LS has a learning curve and using it during the pre-spawn has been a trial by fire. I watched a big female and her partner actually make the next generation. It was bizarre to watch and I wish I would have recorded the LS action. My wife and son were with me and we could see them with the naked eye in the water and also watch it on the screen.

I recently located a bunch of decent sized fish on the LS at the mouth of a creek but they wouldn't do anything other than short-strike. I ultimately tossed a Keitech 3.25 swim shad on a lead head and it was on. It turned out to be a school of decent wipers so I stayed on them for a while just to watch the LS.

I used LS the other day on a grass line and it was cool to see fish working. I would have fished that grass anyway, but the LS just reaffirmed my hunch. There are downsides, I'm sure. I haven't found any just yet. I will be curious come fall when the fish school up on points. It should give me a a way to break down the lake when time is at a minimum.

I use my SI imagining a lot but it very trying when fish are scattered. By the time you turn around and target what the SI shows, the fish have repositioned. As I get older, I have less time to mess around. I figured the LS could be a way to get me on fish quicker.

7. Member
    Thank you so much for letting us know your thoughts on LS! Sounds like I will be getting it on my boat soon. I’m assuming it doesn’t take any more power to run then a 9” graf? I’m running a 12”& 9” now and I think my battery is getting a little weak, if I’m on a Electric only lake after about 6hr I don’t know if I could start my big motor? I run my 12” in standby if I’m not scanning at the dash.

I'm running a Helix 12 HDSI Gen 3 at the helm and an 1198 at the bow. Pretty impressed with the SI and DI image quality on the Helix. I still think Lowrance has better 2D than the birds though

9. Member
    My boat had helix 7’s on it when I bought it. I tried them and thought they did a good job and they weren’t mega either. I was just familiar with my hds units. I really like the point one and touchscreen. The side scan is good but the down scan not so good. The sonar is really nice I feel it’s better then the helix sonar. I tried running the down down imaging on the helix and side scan on the hds but Got interference on side scan. All said and done I’m pretty happy but if I got a different boat and could pick Electronics I would probably try Garmin.

10. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Redog View Post
    Thank you so much for letting us know your thoughts on LS! Sounds like I will be getting it on my boat soon. I’m assuming it doesn’t take any more power to run then a 9” graf? I’m running a 12”& 9” now and I think my battery is getting a little weak, if I’m on a Electric only lake after about 6hr I don’t know if I could start my big motor? I run my 12” in standby if I’m not scanning at the dash.
    It does take a little more power considering you have a graph and black box wired up. I run the X2 cranking battery, and, so far, it has been able to keep up with all the electronics. Of course, I haven't run everything for an 8 hour tournament with livewells pumping all day.