bfs blank suggestions

i'm wanting to put together a bfs setup and trying to figure out which blank to go with. is there a blank available that has a ml tip with m backbone? would dropshot blanks be what i should be looking at?

daiwa has the 7'6 ml/m in the steez ags & tat elite ags that i think would be great for what i'm wanting, but it's spinning. i'm wanting to pair the rod either with a tatula sv with a shallow spool or (probably...eventually :) ) a steez ct, and use it for pitching 1/8oz crappie jigs.

2. Member
    Whatever brand of blank you choose to go with doesn't know or care how it is built. A dropshot blank sounds reasonable for your application. I have built many baitcasting rods on spinning blanks and vice versa spinning rods on casting blanks. As i said the blank doesn't care and neither do the fish. Choose the blank based on your application requirements.

3. Member
    i understand what you're saying about the designation between spinning & casting blanks means nothing. i was asking more for suggestions on which blanks may have a light tip , but have a little extra backbone.

i'm a total newbie at building. i've only put 1 together so far, and have no experiences with different mfgs.

what i've read online about bfs rods is what i'm trying to acheive. all of the posts on various boards about rods like major craft most of the time compare them with other ml powered rods (for instance) state they generally have lighter tips and stronger backbone. i'd like to get the same result, but in a 7'+ rod.

4. Member
    I think there are lots of blanks that could fit your application. BFS meaning bait finesse system will require the species of fish you are targeting plus the line size and type you will use. I know you said 1/8 oz jigs but is that the extent of the lure weight range you will be using. More info can help dial in some blanks for you. For example, if i built a BFS rod for crappie it would not be the same for bass or walleye.

Rod blanks are not rated as medium tip medium light butt. Blanks are measured in angles of action for the tips and power for the butts. Each brand will have their own ratings and the may be similar or totally different.

5. Member
    So from the example you gave- it seems you are looking for a ml power blank with fast action? The tat elite version would be the Seth feider model? That rod likely wouldn’t load a 1/8 jig properly. I’m partial to Phenix blanks because even their fast action rods are slower than industry average- loading a bit deeper and making light baitcasting Easier. the Phenix feather and m1 line are affordable blanks- have models over 7 foot and have medium light or light powers with fast actions. St croix ml rods are also known to be strong finesse options. Friend of mine built on a batson immortal blank to do roughly what you are. If you isolate model numbers you’re interested in- searching multiple forums will give you some more specific insights. Fwiw- what i use for that weight range is Phenix FTX 71L B.

6. Member
    If you can provide more detailed info, I think I could help ya out. What length blank are you after? Do you have a reel in mind - what line type and what lb. test? BFS seems to mean something different to everyone. I consider myself a power finesse, smallmouth angler, and I've built on quite a few blanks in that arena. Will the build be used primarily in open water? What baits and what weight range are you looking at?

7. Member
    i'm wanting at least 7', up to 7'6. i'll be using 8-10# fc, 1/8 & maybe 3/16oz head +2" baby shad. i can't swing a steez ct right now, but plan on getting 1 eventually. for the time being it'll be a tat sv with a shallow spool.

mudhole has a blank in the elite-x line that has caught my eye, but i'm not sure the rating is accurate, it's the nmb862xf. it has a lure rating of 1/16-1/2.

8. Member
    I think a Point Blank 70LXF, 70MLF or 73MLF would fit the bill.

9. Member
    If budget allows, I would also rec the PB 701lxf. It will have that medium meat you're after once the blank the shuts off, on through the butt. The tip is also light, nimble, and not overly quick. These blanks are impressive - responsive and sensitive, while transmitting feedback like a champ. PB is my personal choice for most builds, and no, I'm not sponsored. If you have an open wallet, my other suggestion would be the K2 712ml. I find it slightly more sensitive, but it's not as versatile imo. You won't have that extra oomph in the bottom end, overall losing about 40-50 grams of power compared to the above mentioned PB. If by chance you think you may go below that 1/8 oz plus small trailer, I'd likely opt for the Phenix. Both blanks load up quite well with smallish offerings though. I can't help with the MHX stuff - Don't use it. Just remember, lure ratings are arbitrary. Always better to find someone with some hands on experience. NFC often has 50% off sales. The new X RAY MB733 is also an excellent blank, and will fit your needs nicely. For 100 bucks, they're a steal....If you don't mind potentially waiting a very long time to receive it.

10. Member
    i've looked up the point blank ml before. i was thinking about trying it for shakyheads & ned rigs. i actually fish for bass mostly. i just got on a crappie kick a month or so ago. i'm just pitching to cover, and not vertical jigging, although i will do just a little of that before making another pitch.

i won't go lighter than an 1/8. i'm actually looking for 3/16 weedless ballheads for this setup. i used a 1/4 with a 7' bps ml carbonlite/tat sv this past weekend. i did catch my largest fish with it, but i just felt it was heavier than i wanted to use. if i can find a 3/16 head, the ml pb may be the ticket. it could pull double duty and not be dedicated to just crappie & bream.

11. Member
    Honestly the PB691MLXF is my favorite PB blank. I didn't mention it because you said you wanted 7'+ you could really easily extend it. I typically don't care for XF blanks but I do love this one. It's my go to dropshot but I think it would do well for what you're looking for. I wish they offered MLXF in some longer options.

12. Member
    I agree. The 691mlxf is also my favorite PB blank. It's with me at all times - Just feels so right. It would indeed be perfectly perfect for what Jason wants, but I think I'd opt for the 701 before extending the 691.