Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Being talked out of the 2+2 fish ski

So we are wanting to get a fish/ski boat in a year or so. I was really looking hard at the 2+2 fish and ski with a 300r. When i am by myself I wanna go really fast lol.

the Allison dealer in dallas said no don’t get it. Get the pro sport it’s so much better... i don’t see how it’s better? But he says it’s better to fish out of and pulls skiers just the same.

I want seating for 5 so it will have 3 seats in the back, and I want the built in cooler too... I’m tired of lugging around an ice chest to trip over.

how does the 2+2 pull skiers and tubes? Is it the normal harness around the motor or does it come/order with a tower? I have the harness around the motor now and we hate how low it is...

also is rod storage really as bad as the dealer is saying it is?

I’m over the days of keeping up with multiple boats, so we want a 1 boat does it all. But i want to comfortably fish 2 people in it, and also have all my gear stored conveniently in it.

2. Member
    I have a Ptosport. I love the wind protection. Rod storage is lackluster at the very best... The 2+2 looks substantially better in rod storage.. No cooler in the Prosport. Given your criteria... The 2+2 is a better fit. Did the dealer in Dallas have a Prosport to sell? Do yourself a favor and call Tim @ Fastbass Marine...
    Allison XB21 Prosport Mercury Racing 250XS with a 1.75 Sporty

3. Member
    You want the 2+2 and you want to talk to Tim Powell ..I had 8 in my 2+2 yesterday 4 adults and 4 children for the day and did just fine just propped down. Rear bench is available in 2+2 if you want more family and than fish. Don’t give up the center walkway and immensely better front storage and cooler

4. Member
    If the dealer in Dallas had only a jon boat with a 5hp motor to sell he would tell you it was better than anything you walked in wanting. Stay away from that guy, call Tim Powell at FastBass Marine, he may look dumb as a box of rocks but he knows these boats and he is a good dude. When it comes to these boats and spending that much money it's worth it to drive a few extra miles.

Johnny Johnson

5. Member
    2+2 for sure. Granted, the 2003 is not the same as a prosport, but the layout is similar. Comparing my old 2003 with my 2+2, the 2+2 easily holds 10+ rods on the front deck and trays. That doesn't count the rod storage in the cockpit walls. As far as gear goes, I easily put everything I had In the 2003 front storage in the center and one side boxes in the 2+2, leaving one box empty for more stuff (according to my wife, not a good thing). The only feature the 2003 has that was superior to the 2+2 is wind protection. Perhaps having less wind protection might be a plus in Texas?

6. Member
    Living the good life on Lake Hartwell, Fair Play, SC
    I owned the boat that xb03fs just posted about. I traded it in because it was just me and my wife. I do not tourny fish nor do I pull skiers etc. I wanted the Bassport Pro (traditional 2 seater) because it was best suited for me for storage to fish and fun days on the water with my wife along.

With that being said, for what you want in a boat the 2+2 is perfect. I have nothing against the XB21 Prosport (this is the one with the large single windscreen, just so we are talking the correct boat) but it is not what you are wanting based on what you described.

The rod storage compartment is one small box on the port side of the boat, you will have to tote the cooler that fits into the port rear compartment (not built in) and if you are going to fish a lot getting up to the front deck requires you to step up on the port side "step" of the rod locker lid and around the big console to get to the front deck.

The front deck has 2 compartment lids with drop in boxes to hold your plano's. If you look under the front deck from your driver seat the entire front deck is open underneath so you can see the drop in boxes up front. The 2 seats behind the large full protection windscreen are kinda close together and not separated like in the 2+2.

The 2+2 can have one bench seat across the back instead of the 2 individual seats which actually serve as the font and back fishing seats. If you opt for the full bench seat you will loose the pottie/trash bucket. The 2+2 has nice seating for driver and front passenger. The passenger side is full protection and has an awesome glove box and that glove box tilts up to expose a huge storage area under the console. Between the consoles is a large step up insulated cooler. The drivers console is also great and it too tilts up to expose the fuse panel and wiring (exceptional)

The front deck of the 2+2 is the same size as the Prosport. The big difference is the storage. There are two compartment lids port and starboard with plenty of storage and drop in boxes to hold plano's. The center storage compartment is enormous. YOu can opt for the optional rod organizer system for all your rods or leave it out to put skis or whatever in it. I built a rod organizer system for my boat ans showed it to Todd one year at the rally and a few years later Allison was offering it.

I forgot to mention the side rod storage lockers under both gunnels. There are sliding doors to hide them. The access is not perfect but with some practice you can get them in and out no problem.

Based on your needs from what you stated the 2+2 is the BEST boat for you.

Call Tim Powell
    2013 Allison XB-21 BasSport Pro
    2023 Mercury Racing 300R
    Bravo FS 30P
    ProMax 30P

7. Member
    Thank y’all for all the info! It definitely sounds like I was correct in wanting the 2+2.

I’ll give Tim a call when we are a little closer to actually purchasing. Probably right around a year until we upgrade.

still one question. Do they have a tower or anything to hook ski rope to? Or is it the harness around the motor?

8. Member
    I have seen the tall post with 2 braces mounted to the rear on each sponson on the 21 footers. The tall pole is inserted in the pedestal hole in rear deck (I'm assuming). The rear pedestal post hole actually has a pole below deck secured in the floor which gives a great deal of strength to the rear fishing seat. I don't think it was one that Allison provided though.
    2023 Mercury Racing 300R
    Bravo FS 30P
    ProMax 30P

9. Member
    If you opt for the non removable prosport bench you retain the center bucket for trash/minnow buckets. Uses a 3 gallon bucket instead of 5 gallons. 314-323-6036 if you want to talk about it or additional photos.

Craig thank you for going to a 2 seater. Still in love with my 2+2

Since you asked about rod storage you are a fishing guy. Coming from a Prosport owner and a fishing guy you want a 2+2. Put more bluntly, you will want to talk with a dealer that knows the boats and runs them every day like Tim Powell and Fastbass Marine. You are looking at buying a high performance boat, you want to have it come from the factory setup by someone with a lot of seat time in all the models.

You have the same boat you are looking for 1.5 hours north of you in Mount Pleasant, TX. I keep my boat there over the winter as well. You are more than welcome to come out with us one day and try them both for a performance and fishing perspective. We run my XB21 Prosport 300R and his XB21 2+2 300R regularly. A minor performance difference exists between the two boats that day to day driving would never show and unless you are going to spend a lot of time over 100 you would never see the difference. You sacrifice a lot for 1mph on the top end with a Prosport.

Allison XB21 2+2
    Mercury 300R

11. Member
    The minor difference would be even less if the 2+2 owner wouldn’t be so stubborn about tackle

Quote Originally Posted by xb03fs View Post
    The minor difference would be even less if the 2+2 owner wouldn’t be so stubborn about tackle
    Mine is just a fishing boat Nathan. Don’t need a race boat anymore lol.
    Jay McDaniel
    2003 Allison XB21 BasSport Elite 2+2
    2019 Mercury Racing 300R

Gonefishin you are more than welcome to come by and see mine first hand. Tim Powell at Fastbass Marine is the #1 Allison dealer now for a reason. Propped correctly it will pull tubes and skiers really well. I haven’t pulled with mine but Xb03fs (Nathan) does all summer. I carry 22+ rods and lots of tackle and still keep River Rocket in sight...if I let him go first lol
    My number is 903-563-2806
    Last edited by tritontr21; 06-13-2020 at 03:46 PM.
    Jay McDaniel
    2003 Allison XB21 BasSport Elite 2+2
    2019 Mercury Racing 300R

Quote Originally Posted by atcje View Post
    If the dealer in Dallas had only a jon boat with a 5hp motor to sell he would tell you it was better than anything you walked in wanting. Stay away from that guy, call Tim Powell at FastBass Marine, he may look dumb as a box of rocks but he knows these boats and he is a good dude. When it comes to these boats and spending that much money it's worth it to drive a few extra miles.

I just sold my prosport----I fished tournaments out of it or a 2003 for 20 years, mainly because I fish a lot in the winter and love the protection.. However it was a compromise..I agree with the rest---a 2+2 would fit you better.. The big hurdle is finding one..

Another vote to call Tim at fastbass.
    24’Bass Cat Puma Sts-300 Proxs
    23’Gatortrax Gt tunnel hull-200 Suzuki

16. Member
    I just bought my second 2+2 and this one was from Tim at fastbass. I to struggled with the decision of getting a two seater as now its just me and the wife mainly. But she had to have another dog so now its me and her and a big a$$ lab. You give up just a little in the rod storage department but the extra room in the middle area is nice. I dont fish but a few tournaments anymore so mainly its just a nice day on the lake fishing and the wife laid out on the back deck. She also likes it when Im fishing to turn the passenger seat backwards and stretch out. We never hardly have the extra seats in the boat so its nice to have the area for storage and the dog.

I did though in my last 2+2 fish a lot of tournaments and didnt really miss the traditional 2 seater layout.

Im with the others, sounds like a 2+2 for what your wanting to do and give Tim a call.
    2008 Allison XB21 2+2
    2011 Mercury 300XS

Quote Originally Posted by tritontr21 View Post
    Gonefishin you are more than welcome to come by and see mine first hand. Tim Powell at Fastbass Marine is the #1 Allison dealer now for a reason. Propped correctly it will pull tubes and skiers really well. I haven’t pulled with mine but Xb03fs (Nathan) does all summer. I carry 22+ rods and lots of tackle and still keep River Rocket in sight...if I let him go first lol
    My number is 903-563-2806
    Here we go..... Don't make me come down. Just cause its hot doesn't mean I won't show ya the ass end of a yellow boat. LOL

As RWard mentioned. One of the greatest features of the boats is the room if you don't have people in the boat. I love that. I usually pull the passenger seat if I'm alone. Its one huge open space.
    Allison XB21 2+2
    Mercury 300R

18. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by River Rocket View Post
    Since you asked about rod storage you are a fishing guy. Coming from a Prosport owner and a fishing guy you want a 2+2. Put more bluntly, you will want to talk with a dealer that knows the boats and runs them every day like Tim Powell and Fastbass Marine. You are looking at buying a high performance boat, you want to have it come from the factory setup by someone with a lot of seat time in all the models.

You have the same boat you are looking for 1.5 hours north of you in Mount Pleasant, TX. I keep my boat there over the winter as well. You are more than welcome to come out with us one day and try them both for a performance and fishing perspective. We run my XB21 Prosport 300R and his XB21 2+2 300R regularly. A minor performance difference exists between the two boats that day to day driving would never show and unless you are going to spend a lot of time over 100 you would never see the difference. You sacrifice a lot for 1mph on the top end with a Prosport.

thank yoh very much! I will have to take up on that offer one day! I’ve never rode in an allison and would love to.

I would love to have a 100mph boat, but by the time i add power poles and all my gear I doubt I will get there. I love to go fast on the water. I definitely will be getting the 300r too. My wife don’t like to go fast, but when I’m by myself I wanna go as fast as possible lol

19. Member
    I had the tripod to pull tubes on my 2+2. Worked great and you could still open all the rear lids while the tripod was installed. Then you easily store the tripod under the front deck when not in use. I can text pics if anybody wants to see them. I also did 3 across seating in the rear but made the middle section fold down like in regular bass boats so you dont tear up the seats stepping on the vinyl. Allison is great to deal with when buying aftermarket stuff like those extra rear seats since they have all the info for your boat. You dont have to remember colors, they know what to send you.
    John Wolff
    2003 Allison XB21 2+2
    2003 Mercury 250xs

20. Member
    ^^^^^^^what he just said!!!
    2023 Mercury Racing 300R
    Bravo FS 30P
    ProMax 30P

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast