Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

If you are planning on coming to LSC...

The Canadian side of the lake is likely to be closed till at least August.

2019 Basscat Caracal
    225 Evinrude G2
    Solix 12 Mega SI bow and console
    Mega Live
    36V Ultrex

2. Member
    Wow that is nuts. Due to border closing I missed 2 trips so far.

But August???

3. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Hollada View Post
    The Canadian side of the lake is likely to be closed till at least August.
    whys that ?

4. Member
    There is talk that the border closure is going to be extended to some point in July. They have been basically been working off 30 day extensions. The current agreement expires on June 30th.

I have my own views but for those that are familiar with Lake St Clair it is an absolute pleasure to fish on that side of the lake as the weather warms. it's quieter, less boat traffic and the fishing is better. No intentions to land on Canadian soil in my boat. Social distancing at it's finest. Oh well, as the hype and media start to focus on the "next" hot topic this too shall pass.

5. Member
    This is the first time I haven't bought a canadian license or walpole permit since I started fishing LSC!

6. Smallmouth Junkie!
    Yes I bought a license for my wife and myself and we have not been able to use them once. Do you think there’s any chance we get our money back? Not likely
    2012 Phoenix 721 pro xp / 250hp SHO
    2003 Skeeter TZX-190 / 150hp OX66

7. Member
    I will be social distancing there. Remember if you don't anchor or touch land you are not officially in Canada.

8. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by team houston View Post
    I will be social distancing there. Remember if you don't anchor or touch land you are not officially in Canada.
    You will be told to leave if they catch you. My dad keeps his boat down at alter road, and the opp along with the omnr are enforcing this everyday down on the river.

9. Member
    Never mind, I read it wrong.
    I read it as a Canadian which I am, assuming the Canadian side of the lake would be closed for Canadians.
    sorry about that eh

10. Member
    Officially extended until July 21st. Its a big lake, I'm sure I'll sneak over there and hopefully get my warning out of the way. They can always lift it early I suppose.

Sorry Phill. That is not the way this is playing out. Below is a response to an email I sent the Windsor police after I was asked to leave CA waters....

“.... We work closely with the Royal Canadian Mounted Police Marine unit and the Ontario Provincial Marine Unit. On April 27, 2020, you sent an email regarding if you are allowed to come from U.S. waters to fish in Canada. Your email was as follows, I was fishing in CA waters today - not anchored and did not land so I did not formally make entry into Canada per the rules I am aware of. Can you let me know what authority (specific canadian law, etc.) your officers were acting under?

The information you provide “not anchored and did not land so I did not formally make entry into Canada per the rules that you are aware of” was the practice prior to the Coronavirus Pandemic. US fishermen were allowed to enter Canadian waters and did not have to report to Canada Border Services Agency (CBSA) if they were fishing and did not land, did not anchor and did not meet up with another vessel on the water. However, U.S. fishermen were subject to Canadian law once they crossed into Canadian waters. It was assumed that if fisherman followed the circumstances provided then it was unlikely they would be smuggling contraband back into the U.S. Reporting upon entering into Canada is covered in the Canadian Customs Act.

On March 18, 2020 the Canada – U.S. Border was temporarily closed due to the Coronavirus Pandemic in both Canada and the United States. Non-essential travelers are not permitted to cross the border for recreation and tourism. Travelers are no longer allowed to cross the boundary for reasons related to recreation, this includes fishing. While the border is closed to non-essential international travel U.S. fisherman are not allowed to enter Canadian waters. This National order is still in effect and created specifically for the Coronavirus Pandemic. The Canadian government is regulating the pandemic under the quarantine act and the provincial government is regulating the pandemic under the Emergency Management and Civil Protection Act.

The Windsor Marine Unit has been warning U.S fisherman and sending them back to the U.S. If someone is non-compliant our federal agencies, the RCMP and CBSA will detain the individual and conduct an investigation under the Customs Act and report to U.S Border Patrol.

Another common question from U.S fisherman is when the U.S border is open they can fish in Canadian water. The border has to be open on both sides, Canada and the U.S, for fishing in international water to be allowed. ”

2019 Basscat Caracal
    225 Evinrude G2
    Mega Live
    36V Ultrex

12. Member
    Typical throw the baby out with the bath water. As much common sense as Gretchen.

August 2022 I should have said....

2019 Basscat Caracal
    225 Evinrude G2
    Mega Live
    36V Ultrex

I had a great time learning this side of the lake all over again this season
    Had to dig deep in the old log books and fished places I hadn’t in 20 years
    But I’m not sure I want to do it again next season
    Not to mention all the pressure this side is seeing it’s going to change the dynamics of the lake for a decade or two
    "The handicapped angler"

15. Member
    Really? 2022? even with the vaccine starting to be available this month. Where did you get that info Dan?

16. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by MichAngler View Post
    I had a great time learning this side of the lake all over again this season
    Had to dig deep in the old log books and fished places I hadn’t in 20 years
    But I’m not sure I want to do it again next season
    Not to mention all the pressure this side is seeing it’s going to change the dynamics of the lake for a decade or two
    Agreed, I'm going for dual citizenship. I learned a lot last year and tried some things I normally wouldn't have but it was fun while it lasted. I think what will help if we are in this mess next year is there are no "big" tournaments rolling through. We had the Elites and FLW Super Tourney which killed it.

I think you'll see a lot of guys not make the trip up. Let's face it the pressure has really made a difference. The weights were up but not near the numbers we used to see. We worked for them this year.

Really? 2022? even with the vaccine starting to be available this month. Where did you get that info Dan?
    Speculation from various news sources. Obviously you wouldn’t see any politician say this...

https://www.postbulletin.com/busines...#8212;-or-2022

2019 Basscat Caracal
    225 Evinrude G2
    Mega Live
    36V Ultrex

Quote Originally Posted by SAL321 View Post
    I think what will help if we are in this mess next year is there are no "big" tournaments rolling through. We had the Elites and FLW Super Tourney which killed it.
    Those smucks from BPT will be here Sept 10-15
    "The handicapped angler"

19. dartag1829
    BPT is 40 guys a day. Catch / Weigh and release. No fish in Livewells. Doubt there will be any impact. About the same boat draw as normal SC events. Plus no dead fish.

20. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by MichAngler View Post
    ... it’s going to change the dynamics of the lake for a decade or two
    How do you figure?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast