Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

What's the latest on Canadian border opening up?

what's the latest word on Canadian border opening up? Those fishing tournaments on the border you won't be able to fish Canadian side of St. Lawrence etc?

Smith Mountain Lake, VA and a cottage in Ontario
    For the border opening I've heard reports that it will be sometime in July, probably after July 15th but nothing official yet. I don't know about fishing border waters, that is a separate issue. I'm ready to head north in a couple of weeks for sure but it ain't gonna happen.
    2018 Ranger RT188 SC Black/115 hp Yamaha SHO 4-stroke; Garmin LVS34 - north
    2018 Ranger RT188 DC Black/115 hp Merc Pro XS 4-stroke; Garmin LVS34 - south
    14' Mirrorcraft tin boat (ancient) with a 9.9 Mercury 4-stroke, no electronics; catches fish anyway

They have essentially put opening the border on hold till the end of July and will review it before then.
    97 Stratos 288
    175 Evenrude Intruder
    Humminbird electronics
    Garmin electronics
    Fortrex112
    2012 Ford Lariat 250

4. Member
    I work with some guys that are always talking about the Canadian ballet.
    I guess they’re ready for the border to open too.
    Bullet 21XRS
    Mercury Pro XS 250

5. Member
    I am frequently on the St Lawrence and the border is CLOSED until AT LEAST July 21. It was just extended the other day from June 21. There is no allowable boating in general across the imaginary line. You will either get chased back to US waters, ticketed, or your boat confiscated. Boat confiscation is very rare and I haven't heard of it happening yet, but I could see it happening if you were a repeat offender.

Same is true for Canadians into US waters.

6. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by 519DVX View Post
    I am frequently on the St Lawrence and the border is CLOSED until AT LEAST July 21. It was just extended the other day from June 21. There is no allowable boating in general across the imaginary line. You will either get chased back to US waters, ticketed, or your boat confiscated. Boat confiscation is very rare and I haven't heard of it happening yet, but I could see it happening if you were a repeat offender.

Same is true for Canadians into US waters.
    So let's say in the Toyota Series at St. Lawrence, a Canadian won't be able to fish because the tournament is going out of the American side?

8. Member
    Doesn't work like that on St. Clair and Erie. The border guys here were not nasty like the guys over in NY. A couple years back when you had to call in, there was all kinds of hassle there and not here. If your not landing you are not entering. I expect to fish when the bass season opens up. Last two months there have been thousands of guys fishing the Detroit river for Walleye, Canadiens and Americans. Have not heard of anybody being harrassed.

9. Winter can end now..... BoatBuggy's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by TritonJT View Post
    So let's say in the Toyota Series at St. Lawrence, a Canadian won't be able to fish because the tournament is going out of the American side?
    The Canadians will cross the border and base themselves on the USA side. It's no different than the 3 of them fishing this week at Eufala.

But I suspect all fishing will need to be done on the USA side for this event and it may be the same for the one on St Clair at the end of Aug.
    2013 Ranger Z520c, 2013 Yamaha 250 SHO
    2018 Ranger RT198p, 2013 Mercury 150 Optimax

Do your lake maps charts show the border?

Quote Originally Posted by BoatBuggy View Post
    The Canadians will cross the border...
    How does that work? Did they come over before it was shut down?

12. Winter can end now..... BoatBuggy's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Fins View Post
    How does that work? Did they come over before it was shut down?
    People are, for the most part, allowed to cross for their jobs. Cory Johnston explains what happened here - https://www.bassmaster.com/cory-john...y-south-border
    2013 Ranger Z520c, 2013 Yamaha 250 SHO
    2018 Ranger RT198p, 2013 Mercury 150 Optimax

13. Smallmouth Junkie!
    Quote Originally Posted by BoatBuggy View Post
    The Canadians will cross the border and base themselves on the USA side. It's no different than the 3 of them fishing this week at Eufala.

But I suspect all fishing will need to be done on the USA side for this event and it may be the same for the one on St Clair at the end of Aug.

Does this mean my wife and I will get a refund on the fishing licenses we bought just before COVID?
    2012 Phoenix 721 pro xp / 250hp SHO
    2003 Skeeter TZX-190 / 150hp OX66

Quote Originally Posted by jbassman87 View Post
    Do your lake maps charts show the border?
    yes map chips show the border on the st Lawrence

15. Member
    Can the Canadian border patrol chase you into USA waters ?

I am disappointed that they border closure will be extended another month. According to what I have read, including some of the daily updates from Ontario Premier Doug Ford, the curve has been flattened on both sides of the border. A few days ago Canada did lift travel restrictions for family members of Canadian citizens or permanent residents. I was hoping that they would also lift travel restrictions for US citizens who own property in Canada. But, no luck, yet.

On a related note, I have a long time friend whose parents owned the fish camp where our family stayed for several years before we bought our cabin. She lives in Florida, but spends mid-April through mid-October at her cabin on Georgian Bay. Of course, she has been unable to go up because of the border closure. But, since her parents are permanent residents of Canada (they live at their cabin on the Bay in the summer and in Sudbury in the winter) she was able to go up this week. She sent me a text this afternoon telling me that she arrived OK and that going through Canadian Customs was rather painless...although she said that she had a lot of paperwork with her just in case she was required to produce documentation. I jokingly asked her if she thought I'd look guilty if I tried to lie my way through customs so I could go fishing. She replied with LOL, but then said that the 14 day quarantine still applies to anyone coming into Canada. And, that quarantine meant that you can only fish off your dock, not in a boat! And, she added, that she was told by the people at the local marina that the OPP has shown up at the marina several times to inquire about people who are supposed to be under the 14 day quarantine! This tells me that it's unlikely that the border will be open any time soon...maybe not even in late July.

I think I'll call the Township Business Office in Parry Sound, Ontario on Monday. Since I've been kept away from my cabin for 3 months, I should be entitled to a refund of 1/4 of the property taxes I paid for this year. Well, at least I didn't buy my seasonal fishing license yet!
    "The man of system is apt to be very wise in his own conceit; and is often so enamored with the supposed beauty of his own ideal plan of government that he cannot suffer the smallest deviation from any part of it…He seems to imagine that he can arrange the different members of a great society with as much ease as the hand arranges the different pieces upon a chessboard.” Adam Smith, The Theory of Moral Sentiments

17. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by team houston View Post
    Doesn't work like that on St. Clair and Erie. The border guys here were not nasty like the guys over in NY. A couple years back when you had to call in, there was all kinds of hassle there and not here. If your not landing you are not entering. I expect to fish when the bass season opens up. Last two months there have been thousands of guys fishing the Detroit river for Walleye, Canadiens and Americans. Have not heard of anybody being harrassed.
    Agree, have some friends that come from across St Clair and they haven't had any issues. I'll plan to head over there ,with no intention of landing, to see what happens. in general you're miles from land. Because its not as populated at times you have that much distance while in the boat. I'm hoping they modify it slightly and create exceptions in each region.

It would make not sense but as we have learned throughout this pandemic, not much has made sense for a lot of reasons.

Smith Mountain Lake, VA and a cottage in Ontario
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Hahn View Post
    I am disappointed that they border closure will be extended another month. According to what I have read, including some of the daily updates from Ontario Premier Doug Ford, the curve has been flattened on both sides of the border. A few days ago Canada did lift travel restrictions for family members of Canadian citizens or permanent residents. I was hoping that they would also lift travel restrictions for US citizens who own property in Canada. But, no luck, yet.

On a related note, I have a long time friend whose parents owned the fish camp where our family stayed for several years before we bought our cabin. She lives in Florida, but spends mid-April through mid-October at her cabin on Georgian Bay. Of course, she has been unable to go up because of the border closure. But, since her parents are permanent residents of Canada (they live at their cabin on the Bay in the summer and in Sudbury in the winter) she was able to go up this week. She sent me a text this afternoon telling me that she arrived OK and that going through Canadian Customs was rather painless...although she said that she had a lot of paperwork with her just in case she was required to produce documentation. I jokingly asked her if she thought I'd look guilty if I tried to lie my way through customs so I could go fishing. She replied with LOL, but then said that the 14 day quarantine still applies to anyone coming into Canada. And, that quarantine meant that you can only fish off your dock, not in a boat! And, she added, that she was told by the people at the local marina that the OPP has shown up at the marina several times to inquire about people who are supposed to be under the 14 day quarantine! This tells me that it's unlikely that the border will be open any time soon...maybe not even in late July.

I think I'll call the Township Business Office in Parry Sound, Ontario on Monday. Since I've been kept away from my cabin for 3 months, I should be entitled to a refund of 1/4 of the property taxes I paid for this year. Well, at least I didn't buy my seasonal fishing license yet!
    Definitely sucks big time. I received my telephone/internet bill yesterday for my cabin in Ontario. It's a seasonal plan that starts each April and goes until October and I keep thinking the border will open soon so why cancel? Now I think I should just cancel it and restart it when the border finally opens. I think I will put my wife onto this come Monday. I probably could cross the border because my employer does business with farmers in Canada and technically I have worldwide responsibilities but I expect the border officials would want confirmation of where I'd be staying and I don't think telling them that I'd be staying in a cabin would pass the smell test.

19. Banned
    You'll be able to cross soon enough, provided you quarantine for 14 days upon arrival. Are you willing to do this, and actually commit to doing so?

Preservation of freedom is crucial, this is the condition you will be expected to 100% adhere to. We are paying a formidable price to keep infection rates low, it would be unfair to the many who sacrifice, if only for the carelessness of a few.

Quote Originally Posted by tcesni View Post
    Definitely sucks big time. I received my telephone/internet bill yesterday for my cabin in Ontario. It's a seasonal plan that starts each April and goes until October and I keep thinking the border will open soon so why cancel? Now I think I should just cancel it and restart it when the border finally opens. I think I will put my wife onto this come Monday. I probably could cross the border because my employer does business with farmers in Canada and technically I have worldwide responsibilities but I expect the border officials would want confirmation of where I'd be staying and I don't think telling them that I'd be staying in a cabin would pass the smell test.
    I haven't received my Hydro bill for the last quarter yet. Normally, the bill I pay for the period of Nov-Jan, when ZERO electricity is used, is higher than the bill I get for the summer when we use electricity. Something about a delivery charge that is added to the bills for rural customer...

Quote Originally Posted by sabby View Post
    You'll be able to cross soon enough, provided you quarantine for 14 days upon arrival. Are you willing to do this, and actually commit to doing so?

Preservation of freedom is crucial, this is the condition you will be expected to 100% adhere to. We are paying a formidable price to keep infection rates low, it would be unfair to the many who sacrifice, if only for the carelessness of a few.
    I understand your point of view. Perhaps it is too soon to open the border to anyone who wants to cross. However, I am a property owner, which should carry some weight. I have been quarantined since March 9, as my wife is high risk. And, I live in a semi-rural area where the infection rate is very low. I'm far less of a risk to bring C-19 to any local while at my cabin compared to Canadian citizens who come to their cabins from Toronto, Hamilton, and Barrie where the infection rates are far higher than where I live.

Heck, I'd be happy to bring all of my food, gasoline, and even take my garbage home with me so that I won't have to come into contact with any locals. I just want to fish by myself 8 hours a day and spend the remaining 16 hours in my cabin by myself...I can't be more isolated than that!
    Last edited by Jeff Hahn; 06-13-2020 at 04:31 PM.
    "The man of system is apt to be very wise in his own conceit; and is often so enamored with the supposed beauty of his own ideal plan of government that he cannot suffer the smallest deviation from any part of it…He seems to imagine that he can arrange the different members of a great society with as much ease as the hand arranges the different pieces upon a chessboard.” Adam Smith, The Theory of Moral Sentiments

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast